Snowboards

Online now: Google [Bot], juice, Warin
justine Elitist Beer Lover
Know anything about them? I'm planning on getting my soon to be 12 years old grandson one for his birthday. He's just getting into and they rent when they go. I want to get him his own board/bindings, but i know nothing about them. I'm even considering a used board since this will just be his starter board, but i don't want a cheapy one. It should last at least a few years, or until he's ready for a bigger board. Oh, and i don't want to spend buttloads of cash.

Any suggestions? I'm also not considering online purchases at this point. I just need some guidance on brands and what's best for a 12 year old.
Robert B. Dandy Highwayman
What’s your budget? Snowboards are easily a few hundred dollars.
If you need to find a used starter board, you might try a pawn shop. Things to keep in mind though is the length of the board as it corresponds to the riders height, weight and ability.
dv
If you're not considering online purchases, this seems like the kind of thing where you should go to a little privately owned ski/skate shop, find the oldest person there (probably the owner), and take his or her advice.

That's what I do. Strauss Skates and Bicycles in Maplewood, MN. Haven't steered me wrong yet. (They don't do snowboards though, literally just ice skates, in-line skates, and mountain bikes.)

Anyway, find a ski shop with good Yelp reviews and give 'em a chance to get your money. :D
Thanks guys. I was just told to hold off til Xmas on the board, and then, i may just get him a gift card to get his own, mostly because of height and all that. They have a preferred shop they rent from, and they may be able to get a used one there, or even a new one. But yeah, this purchase is out for now.
Donkey Butter jerk face
I was a snowboarding coach and instructor and shop employee for years and years and years…

If your grandson is still growing (and at 12 I'm sure he is) get him a used setup. It saves you a ton of cash and you get sell it next year for pretty much the same price you bought it for and then get him another setup. (if he's grown enough to warrant a new setup. (I do this with my kids aged 9 and 11, and get them a new set up each year.)

avoid the swap shops and just hit up your local classifieds (craigslist) or Facebook market place. I spend less than $150 for boots broad and bindings, and get some really great equipment. (full retail on my kids setups would be approaching $1,000 each kid)

Just make sure you know what you are buying. Size does play a part but so does flex of the board, not just how stiff it is but whether it's a camber board, rocker or flat. Also the width. As with anything some brands are better than others so go with a reputable company (Yes, Jones, Lib-Tech, Gnu, Burton, K2, Salomon, are all an easy bet)

If you do go new don't go to a "ski shop", a snowboard is not a ski. Make sure you go to a proper board shop and not something like zummies or anywhere else in the mall.

Sorry if I'm a bit much with all this, I'm just passionate about my sport and if you get them something that doesn't fit, it makes it so much more difficult for them.

I'm happy to help anyway I can. feel free to dm with any questions
Thanks DonkeyButter. The store they use regularly is not a mall shop. It's a snow sports store.https://www.clarkssnowsports.com/. I'm thinking since they rent boards, they'd also be selling the used boards, but i dunno. And i agree, used is better at his age.
Donkey Butter jerk face
Clarks looks like a pretty decent place to get a board from.

Depending on how often they go, renting may be cheaper.
Not sure if you are renting a different board each time but most places offer season long rentals so you hang onto the board for the full season.
Donkey Butter posted:
Clarks looks like a pretty decent place to get a board from.

Depending on how often they go, renting may be cheaper.
Not sure if you are renting a different board each time but most places offer season long rentals so you hang onto the board for the full season.

I don't know the details. I just know they go there to rent, and they don't go boarding weekly, so maybe that isn't the best option.
I have a related question. I’d like a sand board for my local dunes. Suggestions
Donkey Butter jerk face
I've never been sandboarding but I'd guess the waxed base of a typical snowboard wouldn't slide so well over sand. I have heard of folks adhering a formica base to a snowboard and using that. How they attached it and how well it actually worked are beyond me.
Ok thanks anyway. I’ll use your general suggestions about buying used if possible. The market might be too small
Kirk posted:
I have a related question. I’d like a sand board for my local dunes. Suggestions

Cardboard? :D
If I put my engineering hat on, i think steel sheet, particularly Nitronic 60 alloy would work best sliding on silica. However perhaps the sandboard community has a cheaper option.
I didn't know sandboard community was a thing.
Kirk posted:
If I put my engineering hat on, i think steel sheet, particularly Nitronic 60 alloy would work best sliding on silica. However perhaps the sandboard community has a cheaper option.

Aluminium duct tape?
Betonhaus posted:
Kirk posted:

Aluminium duct tape?

Nah, aluminum is too soft. We want something which will withstand a hard substance while having inherently high lubricity. Hence my Nitronic 60 musing.
https://www.hpalloy.com/Alloys/descript ... NIC60.aspx
Subsequent topic  /  Preceding topic

Snowboards