Use Purell?

Online now: avkills, Google [Bot], juice, Kirk, MSN [Bot], ukimalefu
FDA tells makers of Purell to stop claiming in ads its effectiveness in killing viruses and bacteria.

While Purell MIGHT be effective to kill a LOT of bacteria and to temporarily stop the spread of some viruses, doctors point out that washing hands with soap virtually gets rid of ALL surface viruses and bacteria.

Do note that washing hands with soap requires about 20 seconds of scrubbing. Before you object with "No one does THAT!", Purell's own instructions say that to be fully effective users should scrub their hands with Purell for FOUR MINUTES. I can claim that I have never seen a user of Purell do that.
justine Elitist Beer Lover
I use it only when out and not near a water source, like after shopping with a cart. Or if i get something on my hands, and again, not near a water source.
TOS
just more mainstream hucksterism that's allowed to rake in tons of dough, like bottled water and herbal remedies
dv
I do not. Oddly, I don't get colds very often anyway.
DukeofNuke FREE RADICAL
" ...Foam in. Foam out. ... "

(There's a dispenser of this stuff in every patient room. You're supposed to grab a dollop and smear it on your hand upon entering, and upon exiting. )
macnuke Afar
but our immune system... you need bugs to build immunity

oh wait.. we are all going to live in bubbles one day
jkahless Custom Title
Note, the warning was not against the effectiveness of alcohol based antiseptics, that's established. The warning was for claims Purell is likely to reduce the possibility of infection by specific diseases which haven't been backed up by research.
juice Inadvertently correct
DukeofNuke posted:

(There's a dispenser of this stuff in every patient room. You're supposed to grab a dollop and smear it on your hand upon entering, and upon exiting. )

Doesn’t this practice encourage the growth of resistant strains of bacteria? What’s wrong with regular (read frequent) hand washing?
dv
juice posted:
DukeofNuke posted:

Doesn’t this practice encourage the growth of resistant strains of bacteria? What’s wrong with regular (read frequent) hand washing?

Resistance to antibiotics is a thing. The active ingredient here is rubbing alcohol. It's like thinking that a vaccine can protect you against a bullet in the head.
DukeofNuke FREE RADICAL
juice posted:
DukeofNuke posted:

It's supposed to prevent cross-contamination. Hand washing and PPE (gloves) is also required.
Subsequent topic  /  Preceding topic

Use Purell?