I bought myself an Instant Pot for Xmas

Online now: Google [Bot]
justine Elitist Beer Lover
Another appliance i didn't think i needed, but i couldn't pass up the price on sale at Costco. I just watched both the unboxing and water test videos. Tomorrow, i will attempt a pot roast. I hope it comes out good!
Neat, you'll like it. I just use mine for meal prep so a butt load of chicken and rice but it does a lot of really good things.
That's what i've heard, and i plan to make corned beef, cabbage and carrots in it, too.
juice Inadvertently correct
My wife has one. It's fine.

I find that cleaning the lid is a giant pain in the ass.
juice posted:

Why? You just take the ring out and the steam cover thingy. I think the hardest part is cleaning the actual ring if you don't have a dishwasher, like i don't.
maurvir Steamed meat popsicle
We don't have an instapot, but we have a very similar pressure cooker - the Power Cooker. It doesn't a whole lot of use, but for what we do use it for, it works very well. I wouldn't consider an indispensable kitchen tool, though.
justine posted:
juice posted:

Why? You just take the ring out and the steam cover thingy. I think the hardest part is cleaning the actual ring if you don't have a dishwasher, like i don't.

The lid is not dishwasher safe and there are lots of nooks and crannies where debris gets trapped.
You shouldn't be getting that much debris up there unless you're overfilling the pressure cooker. Mine has a safety valve, a lock valve, and a pressure release valve and they are all fairly easy to clean, but if you remove the liner that the gasket ring is on a quick soak in the sink then flush with hot water should be fine.
juice posted:
justine posted:
juice posted:

The lid is not dishwasher safe and there are lots of nooks and crannies where debris gets trapped.

My little handbook clearly states the lid is dishwasher safe.
justine posted:
juice posted:
justine posted:
juice posted:

My little handbook clearly states the lid is dishwasher safe.

My wife says the lid on hers is not. I’m certainly not going to put it in the dishwasher.
Maybe it depends on the actual model? For example mine are these two:GoWise USA 14-Quart and Power Pressure Cooker XL

The Gowise one has more simple valves that are very easy to clean and a ceramic basin that doesn't scratch. The power uses teflon aluminium and is human waste.
DukeofNuke FREE RADICAL
instant pot seems to have the most recipe books
DukeofNuke posted:

Thats because it's the most recent cooking fad. :)
mmaverick my steady systematic decline
justine posted:
DukeofNuke posted:

Thats because it's the most recent cooking fad. :)

Please, the fad folk are all over air fryers these days! The old instant pot is old news!

We have an instant pot and we love it. It’s replaced the slow cooker as our most used non-oven appliance.
I got my Air Fryer first, and have since upgraded to a larger model, and it is my most used appliance currently.
C. Ives Lacks Critical stick fiddling Thinking
I was excited when I saw there was an air fryer lid for the instant pots...but it's for the 6 quart model, and mine is an 8 qt. :cry:
maurvir Steamed meat popsicle
I've considered getting an air fryer, but I wasn't sure how much we would use it. The pressure cooker gets used regularly, but not terribly often. Looking at some of the chicken recipes, though - wow, I'm kind of tempted.
maurvir posted:
I've considered getting an air fryer, but I wasn't sure how much we would use it. The pressure cooker gets used regularly, but not terribly often. Looking at some of the chicken recipes, though - wow, I'm kind of tempted.

Chicken and pork come out great, as do appetizers! Oh, and tempura shrimp!
TOS
justine posted:
maurvir posted:

i've been undecided about an air fryer but you're making me decide ...
TOS posted:
justine posted:
maurvir posted:

i've been undecided about an air fryer but you're making me decide ...

It all depends on what you plan to do with it. I heat up snacks/appetizers that would normally either be fried or cooked in the oven. When i cook chicken, it's always in there, but i may have to try some in the instant pot.
Vulture 420
Had one for a few years now, used it about 2 or 3 times to make special meals, pulled pork comes out great. Really good device if you're into cooking various meals at home and it saves time over conventional cooking.
Subsequent topic  /  Preceding topic

I bought myself an Instant Pot for Xmas