Outbreak of Coronavirus

Page: 1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18 ... 21
Online now: Google [Bot], wellfleation
TOS
i saw that boeing is planning a manned starliner launch in august, but i don't think any of these missions will happen anytime soon
Meanwhile the Artemis program progresses forward the completion of the Orion Spacecraft space environments testing has concluded. I assume that means it was subjected to high dosages of various radioactive wavelengths and maybe getting pelted by tiny particles to simulate micrometeorites, testing of it's heating/cooling systems as well maybe?
https://www.nasa.gov/glenn/image-feature/2020/artemis-i-spacecraft-environmental-testing-complete
That testing also includes outgassing, vibration, acoustic stress, solar radiation and temperature cycling.
justine Elitist Beer Lover
Kirk: did you see the LA mayors news conference? Any non essential business that refuses to close is going to have all their utilities cut off.
TOS
i think it's insane to launch people into space right now ... given what's going on, we can't be certain that workmanship and safety checks are all up to snuff.
macnuke Afar
TOS posted:
i think it's insane to launch people into space right now ... given what's going on, we can't be certain that workmanship and safety checks are all up to snuff.

but if we launch all our smart people into space..... humans just might survive what they are doing to themselves right now.
Pariah Know Your Enemy
DEyncourt posted:

The only cruise lines that should even be considered for a bailout should be one's that fly the Stars and Stripes. They saved taxes by being foreign flagged, they can go without anything from the USA.
Pariah posted:
DEyncourt posted:

The only cruise lines that should even be considered for a bailout should be one's that fly the Stars and Stripes. They saved taxes by being foreign flagged, they can go without anything from the USA.

This for sure
Pariah posted:
DEyncourt posted:

B-b-but you say that as if you don't have any friends who own substantial chunks in any of the cruise companies! :twisted:
DukeofNuke FREE RADICAL
Pariah posted:
DEyncourt posted:

I’d like to add to that any company whose “Headquarters” is a PO Box in the Cayman Islands.
Pariah Know Your Enemy
DukeofNuke posted:
Pariah posted:
DEyncourt posted:

I’d like to add to that any company whose “Headquarters” is a PO Box in the Cayman Islands.

Considering what stick fiddling gawd awful ecological disasters the cruise liner are, shutting them down forever would not be the worst thing.
Burning through tons of filthy bunker fuel in pristine waters is not a practice I can get behind.
DukeofNuke FREE RADICAL
Stephen King reads Chapter Eight of "The Shining"

https://youtu.be/jwN5vYGiZws
obvs To hell with toilet paper. I own a bidet
We could probably take the "in China" off of the topic title now.
ukimalefu last throes
obvs posted:
We could probably take the "in China" off of the topic title now.

done
ukimalefu last throes
Twitter locks account encouraging coronavirus ‘chickenpox parties’

Quote:
On Wednesday, Twitter briefly locked conservative site The Federalist’s account for suggesting people deliberately expose themselves to the novel coronavirus. The Federalist promoted the medically unsound idea of “medical ‘chickenpox parties’” to infect young, healthy people with the virus under controlled quarantine.

We ARE living in an apocalyptic cyberpunk dystopia.
"Out of Toilet Paper? You Have Other Options. Just Don’t Flush Them!".

Please note:
Quote:
Flushable wipes deserve a special mention. Don’t flush them. Cottonelle, the maker of a flushable wipe, has a video that shows its wipes breaking down in a similar fashion to toilet paper. But there is a disclaimer that the wipe in the video had a one-hour pre-soak. Then it still took six minutes of agitation for it to fully break up. Toilet paper, by comparison, nearly vanished after 30 seconds. The delay in flushable wipes’ degradation is enough time to cause a problem, as multiple examples in this post prove. This point is backed by longstanding advice from the New York City Department of Sanitation, and it was recently reiterated with new warnings from various local officials, everywhere from Greenfield, Massachusetts to South Burlington, Vermont.

To reinforce this point one last time, we’ll close with some detailed images of wastewater treatment workers at New York City’s Newtown Creek plant raking mounds of un-disintegrated “flushable” wipes out of the jammed machinery a few years back. Don’t make those folks have to rake out your wipes again.

[bold added and links not added]

juice Inadvertently correct
DEyncourt posted:
"Out of Toilet Paper? You Have Other Options. Just Don’t Flush Them!".

Please note:
Quote:
Flushable wipes deserve a special mention. Don’t flush them. Cottonelle, the maker of a flushable wipe, has a video that shows its wipes breaking down in a similar fashion to toilet paper. But there is a disclaimer that the wipe in the video had a one-hour pre-soak. Then it still took six minutes of agitation for it to fully break up. Toilet paper, by comparison, nearly vanished after 30 seconds. The delay in flushable wipes’ degradation is enough time to cause a problem, as multiple examples in this post prove. This point is backed by longstanding advice from the New York City Department of Sanitation, and it was recently reiterated with new warnings from various local officials, everywhere from Greenfield, Massachusetts to South Burlington, Vermont.

To reinforce this point one last time, we’ll close with some detailed images of wastewater treatment workers at New York City’s Newtown Creek plant raking mounds of un-disintegrated “flushable” wipes out of the jammed machinery a few years back. Don’t make those folks have to rake out your wipes again.

[bold added and links not added]

My local plumber loves "flushable" wipes. They have ensured the drain cleaning portion of his business is very robust.
Install a macerating toilet if you wish to flush anything other than toilet paper and poo.
TOS
i doubt you'll be able to buy wipes anywhere
maybe people can take the toilet paper situation (which never even needed to be a thing) and use it as a reason to consider their diet.

Too much information : I tend to a low carb diet of mostly unadulterated foods and my poos are basically pellets that leave almost no trace of anything that can be wiped. Been like that for years. Might be a silly way of looking at things but there it is. I can get two months from of a roll of TP.

Last edited by Ribtor on Thu Mar 26, 2020 7:03 pm.

Women are built different. For example guys wipe forward. Women have to wipe backward to avoid infections and so use more paper.
ukimalefu last throes
Ribtor posted:
Too much information : I tend to a low carb diet of mostly unadulterated foods ...

I dunno, some fruits like bananas make me poop more.
Malkin kick 'em in the face; taste the body
Ribtor posted:
Women might take the opportunity to rethink the use of re-usable absorbent wipes for urine.

:worriedfrown:
Malkin posted:
Ribtor posted:

:worriedfrown:

Last edited by Ribtor on Thu Mar 26, 2020 7:04 pm.

Malkin kick 'em in the face; taste the body
I have cloth diapered multiple babies and used reusable menstrual products since the 90s. I am quite familiar with such things. I agree that disposable products need to be rethought on many levels.

My reaction was because you are prescribing a solution for a group of which you are not a member. Perhaps you should focus elsewhere...
Kirk posted:
Women are built different. For example guys wipe forward. Women have to wipe backward to avoid infections and so use more paper.
:brow:

Not all guys wipe forward.
Wiping forward is gross.
TOS
what the hell have you people done to this poor innocent thread
::points finger at Kirk::
macnuke Afar
proof... everything eventually goes to human waste.
First death from COVID-19 in the extended family today. My first cousin's husband's brother passed away.
justine Elitist Beer Lover
Sorry to hear that, Kirk.
DukeofNuke FREE RADICAL
Condolences, Kirk.
Bing has an interactive map on their homepage but it annoys the snot out of me. It just lets you pick countries and see the active, recovered and fatal numbers, but it is all out of context since it lacks population density.
TOS
usa now has the most cases

my worst fears about america are becoming real

we'll see if canada can flatten the curve at all
macnuke Afar
TOS posted:
usa now has the most cases

my worst fears about america are becoming real

we'll see if canada can flatten the curve at all

you believe the numbers outa China?
Spectrum offers $25 gift cards to techs who go into homes during the COVID-19 outbreak.

That staff had asked the company for hazard pay and protective gear which has been offered by similar companies like AT&T U-verse to their staffs.

On top of the problem of these gift cards being from restaurants which themselves are offering limited service if not are closed now due to the plague, there is no guarantee that any of them WILL be opened when this is all over.
Subsequent topic  /  Preceding topic

Outbreak of Coronavirus

Page: 1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18 ... 21