Outbreak of Coronavirus

Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 38
Online now: avkills, Google [Bot], juice
TOS
nurses cutting one another's hair (to more easily wear hazmat suits) prior to heading into wuhan

ukimalefu want, but shouldn't, may anyway
Concern here is growing significantly. We have evidence of a 14-day incubation period and airborne transmission. 8 cases, 1 via person-to-person transmission domestically in Taiwan, but it was the wife of an ill person. I'll worry more when we see passive or casual-contact transmission.

However signs about wearing masks are going up, malls and bars and other gathering places are having security guards use a forehead-scan thermometer on every person entering, and one school in the south (a certified American school that is not subject to Ministry of Education rules or guidance) has already canceled the first week back and instructed staff to work from home for the teacher prep week scheduled to start Monday. We will see what happens next week. So for no change for us, as the MOE has issued no rules or guidance other than requiring (or maybe just strongly recommending) all staff wear masks at work.
Also my wife has never spent so much time watching the news... but then again she remembers SARS and how bad things got (more about people's reaction than actual danger).
Vulture 420
Speaking of general winter illness, how many of you have gotten sick this year already? I have not but everyone I know has.
TOS
i remember sars as well ... i was working at a national newsroom

i remember doctors telling us off the record that our entire health system was on the verge of collapse because they were so overwhelmed by the virus

it was kind of a miracle that it was contained -- and that it turned out not to be terribly lethal
TOS
juice Inadvertently correct
"Won't someone think of the children?!"
TOS
lots of chinese students at my kids' school experience racism and taunting because of all this, and now a petition by parents is calling on the local school board to tell parents of kids who have recently been to china to keep them at home

at least one facebooker i've seen has demanded that all chinese students should be kept at home
TOS posted:
lots of chinese students at my kids' school experience racism and taunting because of all this, and now a petition by parents is calling on the local school board to tell parents of kids who have recently been to china to keep them at home

at least one facebooker i've seen has demanded that all chinese students should be kept at home

It happens. One person here was thinking along these lines.
TOS
juice posted:
TOS posted:

It happens. One person here was thinking along these lines.

yeah but that person has the iq of a carrot
Video tweet: China is using drones to scold people for not wearing masks.
Séamas Honorary Consul General
Vulture posted:
Speaking of general winter illness, how many of you have gotten sick this year already? I have not but everyone I know has.

So far just a very minor cold. Seemed like it was the start of a bad one but it went away.
That and some possible (minor) stomach ailment--something of the sort has been going around.
I almost went home today for it, but I think I was just hungry--Maybe I should start an Alt-Med practice where I praise the amazing healing properties of ham sandwiches.

I mean think about it: cured meats. They don't call them that for nothing.
Vulture 420
Séamas posted:
Vulture posted:

So far just a very minor cold. Seemed like it was the start of a bad one but it went away.
That and some possible (minor) stomach ailment--something of the sort has been going around.
I almost went home today for it, but I think I was just hungry--Maybe I should start an Alt-Med practice where I praise the amazing healing properties of ham sandwiches.

I mean think about it: cured meats. They don't call them that for nothing.

:lol: That's like something right out of Idiocracy, cured meats. It cures you!

I have not seen anything about this coronavirus media hype over practically nothing that has led to racism against Chinese people. Maybe I don't spend enough time on FB.

For the past few months I've been taking 10,000 IU Vitamin D3 daily with 100mcg Vitamin K for better absorption. Once the sun comes back I won't need the vitamin supplementation.
Lombo Opiofiend
I’ve not had the flu or even a cold since 2002. :fondle wood:
TOS
TOS posted:
zero hedge got banned from twitter for posting this article: Coronavirus Contains "HIV Insertions", Stoking Fears Over Artificially Created Bioweapon

That article is signed by Tyler Durden :brow:

The first rule of internet club is, do not belive everything you see on the internet.

-

Well, I do believe someone posted blatherskite on the internet, and some people believed it.
*offer good only with donation made to miracle hour ministries
Student's return from the lunar new year break will be delayed by 2 weeks, and the school year will be extended by 2 weeks in July. I'm going to have some unhappy teachers.
TOS
article: travel bans unlikely to halt the spread of the virus

Quote:
Studies examining the utility of travel bans in reducing the spread of influenza found limited effectiveness of this policy. In particular, in case of a virus with an R0 of 1.9 or higher, international travel bans have to be highly restrictive (i.e. discontinuation of over 90% of air travel) to have any impact. Even then, these restrictive measures only slightly delay the spread of the infection and have a very small impact on the magnitude of outbreaks. Preliminary data points toward this coronavirus being more transmissible than influenza; with an R0 of 2.0 to 3.1. This evidence suggests that the travel ban will not prevent the coronavirus from spreading within the US. Even a stricter ban might delay its onset by a few weeks at most.

basically the bans are buying a bit of time, but nothing more
"Shoddy Coronavirus Studies Are Going Viral And Stoking Panic".

The author points out that there are good and bad aspects to BioRxiv (pronounced "bio-archive):

PRO: BioRxiv enables some scientists to get out news much more quickly than than the months and at times years that some professional journals can take to properly vet their articles.

CON: people are already using BioRxiv to promote fringe ideas.

PRO: the experts are now becoming aware of this problem and are jumping in quickly into BioRxiv comments pointing out problems such as a low-quality study (due to tiny numbers of test subjects) should be noted as being "very preliminary".

CON: several conspiracy ideas specifically concerning the coronavirus have already jumped from BioRxiv and are being touted as "fact" OUTSIDE of BioRxiv.

So while the pros still outweigh the cons, it is important that when trying to evaluate a science news article that you should do some analysis of the author's sources, especially for those NOT written by a field expert (as is in the case with MOST journalists). Any that cite a BioRxiv post directly should be taken with varying amounts of salt specifically depending upon the article headline's "grabbiness".
justine Elitist Beer Lover
So one of my friends/coworkers is currently in China on business. My company has a clear set of rules on what to do like work from home for 2 weeks etc, even if a family member goes anywhere in Southeast Asia. I'm wondering if the US will even let him go home, or if he'll be diverted to Travis AFB. I also have a coworker that's going to the Philippines for 2 weeks. She doesn't think it's a big deal and only my boss knows. Not upper management. However, they never take a direct flight. They always have a stopover in Honk Kong or Singapore. I'm wondering if she'll get caught up in the whole can't come to work for 2 weeks when she gets back, if management finds out.
obvs Social Distancing Grandmaster
My coworker is a conspiracy nut. He is constantly going on about how this coronavirus is the end of the world, and he insists his wife had it last month.
justine posted:
So one of my friends/coworkers is currently in China on business. My company has a clear set of rules on what to do like work from home for 2 weeks etc, even if a family member goes anywhere in Southeast Asia. I'm wondering if the US will even let him go home, or if he'll be diverted to Travis AFB. I also have a coworker that's going to the Philippines for 2 weeks. She doesn't think it's a big deal and only my boss knows. Not upper management. However, they never take a direct flight. They always have a stopover in Honk Kong or Singapore. I'm wondering if she'll get caught up in the whole can't come to work for 2 weeks when she gets back, if management finds out.

That's strange to me. Direct flights on Philippine Airlines tend to be pretty cheap.
justine Elitist Beer Lover
macaddict4life posted:
justine posted:

That's strange to me. Direct flights on Philippine Airlines tend to be pretty cheap.

I'm pretty sure they don't take Philippine Airlines.
iDaemon infinitely loopy
Quote:
Li Wenliang, the Chinese whistleblower doctor who warned the public of a potential "SARS-like" disease in December 2019, had died of coronavirus in Wuhan on Thursday night, according to several state media reports.

Séamas Honorary Consul General
obvs posted:
My coworker is a conspiracy nut. He is constantly going on about how this coronavirus is the end of the world, and he insists his wife had it last month.

He thinks his wife had it last month?
Did she die ?
If she survived, how does he think this will end the world? (Is his wife that big of a b*tch?)
justine posted:
macaddict4life posted:
justine posted:

I'm pretty sure they don't take Philippine Airlines.

I'm sure they don't. But I would over a transit in SG or HK on the way to Manila!
TOS
what does the world look like if coronavirus becomes as endemic as influenza, but without a vaccine?
jkahless Custom Title
There's actually a prototype SARS vaccine that was shelved after the crisis passes that might be effective for coronaviruses with some minor modifications.
DukeofNuke FREE RADICAL
TOS posted:
what does the world look like if coronavirus becomes as endemic as influenza, but without a vaccine?

You want zombies? That's how you get zombies.
Let me start this by saying that I know teens are expected to do stupid things, I did plenty myself, but I will always blame the parents.

“I have the Coronavirus”—two teens arrested for prank at a Walmart

Quote:
Police don't believe that either teen is actually infected with the 2019 novel coronavirus (2019-nCoV).

Walmart says it cost $7,300 to replace the produce and another $2,400 to clean up the store after the incident.

dv
TOS posted:

~2% casualty rate. :goth:
Pariah Know Your Enemy

don't know if that's real
dv
ukimalefu posted:

don't know if that's real

The left hand logo is real, but it's a company from Shanghai (hence the name) and not Wuhan (as has been claimed on Facebook, etc.)

http://www.ruiblue.com/question/
The Beer Must Flow

Quote:
In Beijing, a brewpub called Jing-A Brewing Co. said it is remaining open but only for takeaway orders, deliveries to peoples’ residences and refills when people bring their own beer containers, known as growlers.
“This change is due to local authorities prohibiting groups of more than 3 from dining or congregating in our brewpub,” the company said in a WeChat post.
The bar, which has a couple of locations in the Chinese capital, said it has extended its delivery hours from 11 a.m. to 11 p.m. Beijing time. Users can order through delivery platform Meituan. Jing-A is offering deals on its beer delivery.
The coronavirus has spread across the world, claiming the lives of over 1,700 people, mainly in China. Businesses stayed shut longer than usual after the Lunar New Year holiday while many people are still working from home. This has forced them to rely more on deliveries of products from platforms like Meituan or JD.com.
Despite drinking establishments trying to make the best out of a bad situation, it doesn’t appear to be hugely helping their businesses.
“At least (delivery) is better than nothing,” Philip, the owner of Evening Standard in Guangzhou, told CNBC.

Subsequent topic  /  Preceding topic

Outbreak of Coronavirus

Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 38