Online now: Google [Bot], Jonesy
ukimalefu want, but shouldn't, may anyway
dv posted:
TOS posted:
ukimalefu posted:

so does the rock, and his whole damn family

The terrible, obvious joke.

https://www.betootaadvocate.com/world-n ... s-cooking/

People still get their panties in a wad if you crack a joke about 9/11 though. :goth:

Well, there's a difference between joking about someone who is sick but still alive, and thousands murdered by the biggest terrorist attack.

this joke was funny

And I hope the rock and his family are fine in the end
dv
ukimalefu posted:
dv posted:
TOS posted:
ukimalefu posted:

People still get their panties in a wad if you crack a joke about 9/11 though. :goth:

Well, there's a difference between joking about someone who is sick but still alive, and thousands murdered by the biggest terrorist attack.

this joke was funny

We broke 190k COVID fatalities yesterday. And to quote a certain troll from the MAF days, "nobody cares!"
dv posted:
ukimalefu posted:
dv posted:
TOS posted:
ukimalefu posted:

this joke was funny

We broke 190k COVID fatalities yesterday. And to quote a certain troll from the MAF days, "nobody cares!"

yes

but I insist, one sick and alive family is different than a few thousand murdered at once.

and the joke wasn't about the 190k covid deaths.

and I didn't post any jokes

-

and people do care about those american covid deaths, except the people who should care about that and do something about it... sorry
TOS
model predicts 410,000 us deaths by the end of the year

Quote:
A key predictive model used by the White House coronavirus task force now predicts the U.S. death toll could likely be 410,000 by January 1, 2021 — and up to 620,000 if the U.S. pursued a “herd immunity” strategy.

The University of Washington’s Institute for Health Metrics and Evaluation revised its projections Friday to predict that under current expected conditions, U.S. deaths from coronavirus will reach 410,000 by year’s end, and climb to 3,000 deaths per day by December.

The model also predicts that if coronavirus mandates are “eased,” a n=much higher death toll of 610,000 is likely. But if the U.S. adopts 95 percent mask compliance, the death toll would be 288,000 on January 1 — 122,000 fewer than the current projection.

people in the white house are openly talking about pursuing a herd immunity strategy, which is a goddam death warrant a moderate quantity of human beings
maurvir Steamed meat popsicle
TOS posted:

Quote:
A key predictive model used by the White House coronavirus task force now predicts the U.S. death toll could likely be 410,000 by January 1, 2021 — and up to 620,000 if the U.S. pursued a “herd immunity” strategy.

The University of Washington’s Institute for Health Metrics and Evaluation revised its projections Friday to predict that under current expected conditions, U.S. deaths from coronavirus will reach 410,000 by year’s end, and climb to 3,000 deaths per day by December.

The model also predicts that if coronavirus mandates are “eased,” a n=much higher death toll of 610,000 is likely. But if the U.S. adopts 95 percent mask compliance, the death toll would be 288,000 on January 1 — 122,000 fewer than the current projection.

people in the white house are openly talking about pursuing a herd immunity strategy, which is a goddam death warrant a moderate quantity of human beings

Of course, but hey, the economy will pick up before the election, amirite? :goth:
maurvir Steamed meat popsicle
obvs Social Distancing Grandmaster
TOS posted:

Quote:

Silly TOS!

Trump intends to kill a lot more than 410,000 people.
DukeofNuke FREE RADICAL
TOS posted:

Quote:

I can almost guarantee Tucker Carlson is pushing this idea
TOS
obvs posted:
TOS posted:

Quote:

Silly TOS!

that comment literally made my stomach hurt
Pharma Companies to Release Pledge Promising Not to Seek Federal Approval Until Vaccine Is Safe

Quote:
Pharmaceutical companies are aiming to assuage the public’s anxiety, ever inflamed by a selfish U.S. president, over the safety of coronavirus vaccines. To calm fears, big-name drug makers like Pfizer, Johnson & Johnson and Moderna will sign a joint statement to demonstrate their commitment to safety and effectiveness.

The pledge, which was reported and reviewed by the Wall Street Journal, could be released as early as next week. Per the Journal, the statement affirms that the manufacturers’ priority will be the safety and well-being of vaccinated people. In addition, the pledge states that the companies would also commit to following high scientific and ethical standards when carrying out clinical studies and during the manufacturing process.

Quote:
The companies will purportedly pledge not to seek government approval until the vaccines have been proven safe and effective.

Quote:
Reports that President Donald Trump is exploring ways to release an experimental coronavirus vaccine before the November election in a blatant attempt to improve his reelection prospects even if the vaccine doesn’t meet FDA safety standards probably haven’t helped, either.

In an interview released by CNN on Saturday, Democratic vice presidential nominee Kamala Harris said that she would not trust the president’s word alone when it comes to a coronavirus vaccine.

“I will say that I would not trust Donald Trump and it would have to be a credible source of information that talks about the efficacy and the reliability of whatever he’s talking about,” Harris said. “I will not take his word for it.”

duh
obvs posted:

I think the U.S. response has buried within its outward failures a deliberate acceptance of 'cleansing'. I think they saw what happened in Italy, Spain and the U.K. and decided to leverage the situation rather than fight it. I don't think this is a fully thought-out strategy or follows any logic except that of the general notion that the Republican/conservative/right wing leadership or their goals will somehow gain from this; a "let people die and from this will come strength", attitude. I think this attitude coincides with how many in our society traditionally view labour, strife and disease anyway. This is their moment.
Certainly it'll reduce retirement pay outs and social security payments. That'll benefit the corporations
TOS
ukimalefu posted:
Pharma Companies to Release Pledge Promising Not to Seek Federal Approval Until Vaccine Is Safe

Quote:
Pharmaceutical companies are aiming to assuage the public’s anxiety, ever inflamed by a selfish U.S. president, over the safety of coronavirus vaccines. To calm fears, big-name drug makers like Pfizer, Johnson & Johnson and Moderna will sign a joint statement to demonstrate their commitment to safety and effectiveness.

The pledge, which was reported and reviewed by the Wall Street Journal, could be released as early as next week. Per the Journal, the statement affirms that the manufacturers’ priority will be the safety and well-being of vaccinated people. In addition, the pledge states that the companies would also commit to following high scientific and ethical standards when carrying out clinical studies and during the manufacturing process.

Quote:
The companies will purportedly pledge not to seek government approval until the vaccines have been proven safe and effective.

Quote:
Reports that President Donald Trump is exploring ways to release an experimental coronavirus vaccine before the November election in a blatant attempt to improve his reelection prospects even if the vaccine doesn’t meet FDA safety standards probably haven’t helped, either.

In an interview released by CNN on Saturday, Democratic vice presidential nominee Kamala Harris said that she would not trust the president’s word alone when it comes to a coronavirus vaccine.

“I will say that I would not trust Donald Trump and it would have to be a credible source of information that talks about the efficacy and the reliability of whatever he’s talking about,” Harris said. “I will not take his word for it.”

duh

well i'm sure we can have faith that big pharma will stand by a totally non-binding pledge probably drawun up by their marketing departments
Why Masks Work BETTER Than You'd Think

Quote:
This video is about how masks (whether surgical, or N95, or cloth) are counterintuitive and actually work much better epidemiologically than one might expect. Masks do double-duty, and the fraction of interactions with masks is much higher than the fraction of people wearing masks, so partially adopted, partially effective masks are able to reduce the basic reproduction number surprisingly well.

TOS
trials of the oxford vaccine have been halted after an "event"

this really sucks, man ... people really had high hopes for this one
TOS
macnuke Afar
TOS posted:

if the scientists doubt it...
I am confident Trump will push it.
Séamas Honorary Consul General
macnuke posted:
TOS posted:

well if it is harmful or deadly, he'll only be hurting his cult members.
macnuke Afar
Séamas posted:
macnuke posted:
TOS posted:

well if it is harmful or deadly, he'll only be hurting his cult members.

yeah... HCQ proved that statement.
you can't take it home? you can't walk to a trash can?

:facepalm: :roll: :mad:

most people are idiots, and they're gonna kill us all
If *anyone* has the ability to wear a mask---
juice Inadvertently correct
The agent in The Matrix was correct. Humans are a virus.
DukeofNuke FREE RADICAL
The shopping cart theory.
TOS
study: sturgis bike rally in august was a super-spreader event, leading to a quarter million new cases

Quote:
Using anonymized cellphone data from the rally, researchers from the University of Colorado Denver, Bentley University, University of California San Diego and San Diego State University found the bikers, who were filmed and photographed in crowded bars, restaurants and outdoor venues mostly without face masks, allowed for many of the “worst-case scenarios” for “superspreading.”

The event “was prolonged, included individuals packed closely together, involved a large out-of-town population, and had low compliance with recommended infection countermeasures such as the use of masks,” the researchers wrote.

The event will cost an estimated $12.2 billion in health-care costs, they wrote.

TOS posted:
study: sturgis bike rally in august was a super-spreader event, leading to a quarter million new cases

Quote:
Using anonymized cellphone data from the rally, researchers from the University of Colorado Denver, Bentley University, University of California San Diego and San Diego State University found the bikers, who were filmed and photographed in crowded bars, restaurants and outdoor venues mostly without face masks, allowed for many of the “worst-case scenarios” for “superspreading.”

The event “was prolonged, included individuals packed closely together, involved a large out-of-town population, and had low compliance with recommended infection countermeasures such as the use of masks,” the researchers wrote.

The event will cost an estimated $12.2 billion in health-care costs, they wrote.

I've met a couple people who've been to Sturgis and Laconia events in the past. It is amazing that numerous diseases haven't' been spread from those events every year, between the gang rapes, overflowed toilets and drunk guys crapping in the woods, it is a miracle something didn't get created in those petri dishes.
ukimalefu posted:
you can't take it home? you can't walk to a trash can?

:facepalm: :roll: :mad:

most people are idiots, and they're gonna kill us all

While I am sure a lot of those are from people just tossing them anywhere, I know from my own experience over the last few months that I have dropped masks and/or had one fall out of my pocket numerous times.
I'm fairly confident I have been able to retrieve all of them, but if something light like a disposable mask is going to get away from you--it is gonna be along the shore with the sea breeze carrying it out of reach..
So I got accepted into the vaccine trials.
TOS
TOS
Great. Are we going to be wearing face masks for the rest of our lives?

:(
TOS
don't worry, trump's in his lab right now whipping up a vaccine
obvs posted:
Great. Are we going to be wearing face masks for the rest of our lives?

:(

this is the way
I want to see people smiling. Things suck without that.
obvs posted:
I want to see people smiling. Things suck without that.

People need to learn...

Quote:
Tyler Glaiel says the light-up mask he invented is "very impractical and not very comfortable" — but it looks really cool.

The California programmer and game designer has created a sound-activated LED face mask that lights up in the shape of a mouth that moves as you speak. And it can simulate a smile, too.

Video at the source

https://www.cbc.ca/radio/asithappens/as ... -1.5606194
Alexander Supertramp this was uncalled for.
I remember when this thread was titled 'potential outbreak of coronavirus'. :(
juice Inadvertently correct
Alexander Supertramp posted:

...in China
macnuke Afar
yay.... US 1000+ deaths.

canada 0

are we numb yet?
TOS

go back to the first page and see how sanguine we all were
TOS posted:

go back to the first page and see how sanguine we all were
This hits differently now:

obvs posted:
My coworker is a conspiracy nut. He is constantly going on about how this coronavirus is the end of the world, and he insists his wife had it last month.

Subsequent topic  /  Preceding topic

Outbreak of Coronavirus

Page: 1 ... 34, 35, 36, 37, 38