Outbreak of Coronavirus

Page: 1 ... 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38
Online now: Google [Bot], ukimalefu
But did they call it a vaccine in the modern terminology like that article uses it?
TOS
Kirk posted:
Duke, that can't be real. There were no vaccines at all until the 40s.

yeah but wasteful journalism goes waaaay back
jkahless Custom Title
Kirk posted:
But did they call it a vaccine in the modern terminology like that article uses it?

Absolutely. It's rather complicated, I've been looking up the etymology, but by 1918 vaccine was an old word that had been expanded to its modern meaning.
DukeofNuke FREE RADICAL
Kirk posted:
Duke, that can't be real. There were no vaccines at all until the 40s.

Tell the NYT!
:p
Nevermind, I'm wrong
macnuke Afar

my wife. another shift
this was when she got there and before she put her booties on also.
sadly, another pt was lost to covid.
this is pretty much how she spends 11+ hours per shift.
dv
jkahless Custom Title
Kirk posted:
Nevermind, I'm wrong

Don't feel bad, the terminology is rather confusing, and gets used retroactively in weird inconsistent ways. It's a neat thing to dig into, if you like language development.
dv
juice Inadvertently correct
Do they not have a union? I'd think it would have been more effective to file a grievance if you're looking to change this behavior permanently.
dv
juice posted:
Do they not have a union? I'd think it would have been more effective to file a grievance if you're looking to change this behavior permanently.

Then while the grievance is being processed you'd still be expected to go to work in the germ-y cesspool run by people who won't give you the information you need to protect yourself.

Hard pass.
maurvir Steamed meat popsicle
jkahless Custom Title
ukimalefu want, but shouldn't, may anyway
pepperoni shortages and price hikes!!!!!!

NO! NOT PIZZA!

Somebody find the cure for this damned virus! now!

https://gizmodo.com/apparently-the-coro ... 1844730048
So mom might be having that long term version of covid. She’s always tired and won’t eat. Another covid test is being arranged plus protein shakes to build her strength. I just hope she doesn’t get any new chronic conditions from this
Malkin kick 'em in the face; taste the body
TOS
it wasn't about stupidity, or politics, or religion ... it was just pure corruption

Quote:
The message [from the health department], highlighted in bold, was clear: Wait longer before allowing customers back inside restaurants, hair salons and other businesses where people will be in close contact.

Instead, McMaster pressed ahead with a plan written by the state restaurant association to resume inside dining on May 11.

TOS
juice posted:

teacher unions are basically hemmed in by the contract they negotiated ... if it's not in the contract, they're pretty much powerless
macnuke Afar
Metacell Chocolate Brahma
FOX NEWS: "I heard kids didn't catch diseases. Who knew?"
Mom has bounced back. It seems like it wasn’t covid, at least directly. She’s got dementia. If she’s thirsty or hungry and there’s nothing nearby to eat or drink she can just forget about it and end up dehydrated. She’s not wanted to eat regular meals. The suspicion is taste buds not working put her off normal food. They switched her to protein shakes. That seems to have been the trick. We’ll see how long the taste buds take to recover by when she wants regular food

Last edited by Kirk on Wed Aug 26, 2020 4:43 pm.

DukeofNuke FREE RADICAL
Some people have problems tasting things when they get the flu. Taste is related to breathing. Maybe it has something to do with that?

I mean, your tongue tells you things like "sweet, salty, bitter", smell lets you know it's "chicken or lemon or peanuts".
I believe that’s clogged nostrils related. A lot of taste is actually aromas smelled by the nose
TOS
ukimalefu posted:
Some people have problems tasting things when they get the flu. Taste is related to breathing. Maybe it has something to do with that?

I mean, your tongue tells you things like "sweet, salty, bitter", smell lets you know it's "chicken or lemon or peanuts".

covid has been shown to damage the nervous system, it's almost certainly related to that
maurvir Steamed meat popsicle

Bane or boon?
TOS
i saw similar fan-equipped masks for kids, but i haven't been able to get my hands on one
mask with vents may protect you, but not others from you

https://vitals.lifehacker.com/if-your-m ... 1843182019
True, im wondering if vents pointed down would mostly resolve that
TOS
i have some vented masks ... i'm not wearing them anymore because of the concerns, but they definitely breathe more easily
Séamas Honorary Consul General
Kirk posted:
I believe that’s clogged nostrils related. A lot of taste is actually aromas smelled by the nose

Yep. I recall being taught that in 2nd or 3rd grade.

We had an assortment of different flavored things, and did blind taste tests, one time with the nostrils closed and then with them open. Things are quite unflavorful when the nostrils are closed.
No, COVID Deaths Aren't 'Only 6%' of What's Documented

Quote:
There’s a stunningly wrong statistic being passed around, saying that the CDC “admitted” that only 6% of documented COVID-19 deaths were actually from the virus. This is wrong, and is the kind of thing that you can only conclude if you don’t know how death certificates work. The deaths were all from COVID, and about 95% of them had the coronavirus as the original cause of illness.

Malkin kick 'em in the face; taste the body
macnuke Afar
ukimalefu posted:
https://gizmodo.com/the-who-now-recomme ... 1844929649

steroids may save you

and you'll get buffed!
and your peepee will shrink Image

fixed
TOS
ukimalefu posted:

so does the rock, and his whole damn family
dv
TOS posted:
ukimalefu posted:

so does the rock, and his whole damn family

The terrible, obvious joke.

https://www.betootaadvocate.com/world-n ... s-cooking/

People still get their panties in a wad if you crack a joke about 9/11 though. :goth:
Subsequent topic  /  Preceding topic

Outbreak of Coronavirus

Page: 1 ... 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38