Outbreak of Coronavirus

Page: 1 ... 31, 32, 33, 34, 35
Online now: Google [Bot], Kirk, Metacell
justine Elitist Beer Lover
I was contacted yesterday right before i left for work and told not to come in. A contractor that was doing paint touch up tested positive. They let my company know right as swing shift was getting there and told them to leave. The i got the phone call not to come in. They were deep deep cleaning the building. And then they deep cleaned 9 additional times. That's fine going forward, but he was there Friday, and i was there all weekend. I'm pretty sure i'm good because anything on the surfaces shoulda been gone by the time i came in, but i have friends that were in the building when he was.
ukimalefu want, but shouldn't, may anyway
TOS
justine posted:
I was contacted yesterday right before i left for work and told not to come in. A contractor that was doing paint touch up tested positive. They let my company know right as swing shift was getting there and told them to leave. The i got the phone call not to come in. They were deep deep cleaning the building. And then they deep cleaned 9 additional times. That's fine going forward, but he was there Friday, and i was there all weekend. I'm pretty sure i'm good because anything on the surfaces shoulda been gone by the time i came in, but i have friends that were in the building when he was.

that's a bit too close for my comfort
macnuke Afar
TOS posted:
justine posted:

that's no where near close.

then again, I work in a hospital.
TOS
macnuke posted:
TOS posted:
justine posted:

jeeeeeeezus

you're in texas, right? is it as bad as i've been hearing and seeing? bodies decomposing because there's nowhere to put them? doctors having to make nightmare decisions about who lives and dies? oxygen running out?
jkahless Custom Title

American and Canadian tour boats at Niagra Falls. One is running at 50% capacity, one is running at 1% capacity. Guess which is which.
macnuke Afar
TOS posted:
macnuke posted:
TOS posted:
justine posted:

jeeeeeeezus

you're in texas, right? is it as bad as i've been hearing and seeing? bodies decomposing because there's nowhere to put them? doctors having to make nightmare decisions about who lives and dies? oxygen running out?

I know O2 is being used like water over the falls pictured below.
I know Tx is doing like NY was doing, morgues are full.. bagged toe tagged bodies are in freezer trucks in Houston. my mother, two of my sisters and one of my daughters live there.
my other daughter says it's about the same in San Antonio.
my stepson an RN covers in dallas ft worth. about the same there.
my wife and i work a hospital about 30 minutes from Dallas suburbs...
we are not allowed to ship anyone from our small hospital (180 beds)
so if you are dying... it's pretty much die in place.
our CVU (cardiovascular unit was converted to all negative pressure rooms.
it's now covid unit and pretty much stays full.
some days census is low and they can work on everybody.
some days it is the crapshoot.
My wife is ICU RN. truly a war zone.
In my small town... and small hospital...
there is no stick fiddling reason to go home with PTSD.
except for this.

and both of our phones ring constantly daily.... can you come help we are short.
hers even worse... the travel companies are now up to $6000 a week + expenses
there truly is a nursing shortage that is going to fiddlesticks this country even worse.

fiddlesticks it. i am venting truth i see every day i work.
I am 63. prime material for covid.
I refuse to work more than 3 days a week.

if i was only allowed to actually shoot some of the stick fiddling mouth breathing non believing stick fiddlers.
TOS
holy human waste

i'm sorry about all this, brother

please pm me if there's anything i can do to help
macnuke Afar
talked to mom this evening to catch up .. it's a weekly thing.
my nieces husband has it now (new orleans .. fiddlesticks that hotspot.)
my sister was visiting when he became symptomatic.
she is in quarantine now. baby sister is 55.
fiddlesticks fiddlesticks fiddlesticks
We know that the death count due to COVID-19 is likely undercounted but by how much?

Dr. Steven Novella suggests a possible partial remedy: including excess deaths. An excess death is found by comparing the 2020 numbers to the 2019 numbers over the same period credited to the same reasons.

While it is possible that there have been some deaths that have happened during the pandemic that may have been miscredited to COVID-19--for example: a death due to a severe case of the flu which had been credited to COVID-19--but more likely there are many more cases of death which should have been tallied as due to COVID-19, especiially considering that there are some states which have been deliberately undercounting their COVID-19 cases.

Some people have been looking at this problem, specifically looking at excess deaths during the pandemic. Of course they excluded cases which most likely were NOT unrelated to COVID-19 such as severe head or neck trauma due to a car crash, but two studies for the US estimated that between 28 to 35% of excess deaths may have been due to COVID-19. This translates to between 120 K and 150 K more pandemic deaths during their periods of study.

Dr. Novella does suggest several other complications which could make this method unreliable like, for example, someone who knows that his local hospital is being overloaded with COVID-19 cases which makes him or his family reluctant to "take a chance" being sent to that hospital for what should have been a treatable case IF he had received immediate medical care.
obvs Social Distancing Grandmaster
DEyncourt posted:
Dr. Novella does suggest several other complications which could make this method unreliable like, for example, someone who knows that his local hospital is being overloaded with COVID-19 cases which makes him or his family reluctant to "take a chance" being sent to that hospital for what should have been a treatable case IF he had received immediate medical care.
Why should a death in that case be excluded as a COVID-19 death?

It's still caused by COVID-19, and is still exacerbated by the dysfunction of the government due to Trump, then it is a COVID-19 death.
More science with masks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qDeP7-rUZmo

This also an example of peer review, actual research, duplicating an experiment and comparing results, you know, ACTUAL SCIENCE!
obvs posted:
DEyncourt posted:
Why should a death in that case be excluded as a COVID-19 death?

It's still caused by COVID-19, and is still exacerbated by the dysfunction of the government due to Trump, then it is a COVID-19 death.

Sure but that is only because I "gave" you a full background story. A coroner will only see a person who died from that treatable condition. He will not have the option of adding any speculations.
macnuke Afar
Barrrons' school isn't opening due to the Pandemic ....
No ultimatum from his Majesty on that one.
I am sure it's still safe for the rest of America to pack a lunch and send their children to school yes?
macnuke Afar
A committee will deem which COVID-19 patients are likely to die and send them home with family, Jose Vasquez, the county health authority, said during a news conference Tuesday

But after Gov. Greg Abbott issued orders for the reopening of the state, overriding local control and decision-making, COVID-19 cases surged.

https://www.star-telegram.com/news/coronavirus/article244443257.html

stick fiddling Abbott just needs to die.
macnuke posted:
A committee will deem which COVID-19 patients are likely to die and send them home with family, Jose Vasquez, the county health authority, said during a news conference Tuesday

Dead Panels?

THANKS OBAMA!

wait, what? really?
This is worrying.

I see masks everywhere but they are only one mitigation effort. Distancing must still be regarded as essential. But masks allow for commerce while distancing hinders it.

The death toll has yet to catch up with the recent rise in cases but unless treatment can somehow offset it things will continue to get worse. And if we rely on medical treatment of infected people to keep deaths in check then that system will soon fail.

I would not be surprised to see another general lockdown.
jkahless Custom Title
Ribtor posted:
This is worrying.

I see masks everywhere but they are only one mitigation effort. Distancing must still be regarded as essential. But masks allow for commerce while distancing hinders it.

The death toll has yet to catch up with the recent rise in cases but unless treatment can somehow offset it things will continue to get worse. And if we rely on medical treatment of infected people to keep deaths in check then that system will soon fail.

I’m not worried about a second wave at the moment so much as concerned. We were expecting to see a small uptick in cases in the current phase of reopening, and I’m hoping the public reaction to that uptick will be a moderating effect. A man can be an optimist.
I wouldn't drink bleach, but I could be persuaded to try some seaweed:

https://news.rpi.edu/content/2020/07/23 ... d-19-virus

Quote:
In a test of antiviral effectiveness against the virus that causes COVID-19, an extract from edible seaweeds substantially outperformed remdesivir, the current standard antiviral used to combat the disease. Heparin, a common blood thinner, and a heparin variant stripped of its anticoagulant properties, performed on par with remdesivir in inhibiting SARS-CoV-2 infection in mammalian cells.

macnuke Afar
My wife worked last night.
One COVID she was caring for died.
The COVID in the room next door died also.
:(
Malkin kick 'em in the face; taste the body
macnuke posted:

DukeofNuke FREE RADICAL
macnuke posted:

OH, man. I feel so bad for you both.
Aren't you both old enough to retire? GTF out of there!
Just working in a cardiologist office is scaring the hell out of me.
macnuke Afar
63 and 58 .

And we both really enjoy out work.
old enough or not, I think we are going to decide about Nov 4 on what we are going to do about retirement.
Lombo Opiofiend
GTFO, Stat !
I mean this virus doesn’t fiddlesticks around especially for people of your age. I know you already know that but still...
TOS
jkahless posted:
Ribtor posted:
This is worrying.

I’m not worried about a second wave at the moment so much as concerned. We were expecting to see a small uptick in cases in the current phase of reopening, and I’m hoping the public reaction to that uptick will be a moderating effect. A man can be an optimist.

the thing about exponential growth curves is that "small upticks" are actually the beginnings of spikes

yes people are getting better about masks indoors but are still avoiding them whenever possible

this recent increase is particularly troubling because almost 2/3 of the new infections are under 40, and let's face it young people are much more careless about this stuff, and recent events have shown they can be the cause of major increases in cases

i'm seriously worried about the numbers here in ontario, i think we're blowing it but good, and the pressure to reopen schools as normal without any precautions is severe, even though parents and teachers are seriously worried about it

unless things turn back down and stay down i'm probably going to homeschool my kids
My mother just caught covid from her assisted living facility workers. So far her symptoms are mild, fever went up a little then dropped back to normal, some lethargy. She’s taking methotrexate for GCA and which should help prevent the cytokine storm. We’ll see how it goes.
macnuke Afar
fingers crossed for mom Kirk..
dv
Sorry to hear that Kirk. Here's hoping it stays mild/manageable. :(
DukeofNuke FREE RADICAL
Best wishes for you both, Kirk.
TOS
Malkin kick 'em in the face; taste the body
Sorry to hear that, Kirk. I hope your mother stays as well and as comfortable as possible.
Mom appears to be lucky and having a very mild case. Blood oxygen level 96, no cough and 98.4F temp. I haven’t heard if her sense of taste or smell was affected
dv
Found out today that my brother apparently tested positive for antibodies at some point, but hasn't been sick since December. So he must have had a very mild case.

Also must have been some kind of outbreak at his workplace otherwise I don't know why he would have been tested at all.
A not yet peer reviewed study grouping patients into six general types of symptoms. https://www.cbsnews.com/news/covid-19-s ... -symptoms/
Whelp Mom jumped up to type 5 / severity level 2 in that CBS article though without a constant fever or having breathing problems yet. Her temperature fluctuates hourly between normal and 100ish which is really strange. She’s getting an ambulance ride to the ER.

Apparently three other assisted living people also contracted COVID-19 in their facility.
TOS
Kirk posted:
Whelp Mom jumped up to type 5 / severity level 2 in that CBS article though without a constant fever or having breathing problems yet. Her temperature fluctuates hourly between normal and 100ish which is really strange. She’s getting an ambulance ride to the ER.

Apparently three other assisted living people also contracted COVID-19 in their facility.

jesus i'm sorry to hear

long term care facilities have taken such a beating in all this
TOS
dv posted:
Found out today that my brother apparently tested positive for antibodies at some point, but hasn't been sick since December. So he must have had a very mild case.

Also must have been some kind of outbreak at his workplace otherwise I don't know why he would have been tested at all.

tell him to get a thorough physical when he can, research is showing that 20%-30% of mildly symptomatic, and probaly asymptomatic patients too, can still get significant damage
Kirk posted:
My mother just caught covid from her assisted living facility workers. So far her symptoms are mild, fever went up a little then dropped back to normal, some lethargy. She’s taking methotrexate for GCA and which should help prevent the cytokine storm. We’ll see how it goes.

:cry:
Subsequent topic  /  Preceding topic

Outbreak of Coronavirus

Page: 1 ... 31, 32, 33, 34, 35