Outbreak of Coronavirus

Page: 1 ... 28, 29, 30, 31, 32
Online now: Bing (sucks), DukeofNuke, Google [Bot], juice, maurvir
sean Royal Wombat
Things are returning to normal-is (the new for now normal?) here. Restaurants and such are re-opening, albeit with reduced seating. People are still wearing masks. I'm still working from home, and will be 'for the foreseeable future'.
maurvir posted:
juice posted:
TOS posted:
juice posted:
No, because sanely governed places like California will enact measures to mitigate the spread.

isn't california, or maybe it's just la, the fastest-growing covid centre in the country?

And they are taking action to correct it. (More than thoughts and prayers common in red states)

That, and the numbers are higher because CA is testing more. Red states are taking other approaches at "reducing their numbers". :goth:

And California has by far the largest population.

If you check here in the second graph (which is only for US states and DC), you will see that California is currently ahead of all states for number of new cases over 1 week averages, BUT scroll down to the bottom graph where the numbers are normalized by a the number of new cases per million in population. California barely avoids making the top ten states (which are--from top to number 10: Arizona, South Carolina, Arkansas, Florida, Utah, Texas, Alabama, Mississippi, North Carolina, and Georgia). This is despite how the "official" numbers released by some states have been deliberately deflated.
ukimalefu Canadized
maurvir Steamed meat popsicle
Yeah, when you see the magical thinking laid bare, it's almost embarrassing.

The testing one is equally amusing - we could lower birth rates just by banning pregnancy tests!
Pariah Know Your Enemy
I was pondring the whole Covid thing, watching the flailing about with every stick fiddling state and locality going their own way and absurd ideas popping up about quarantining travelers from hot spot states.
This whole thing has been the biggest swirling, writhing cluster fiddlesticks that I have ever seen.
If ever there was an effective counter argument to the notion that having 50, independent little "laboratories of democracy" produces best results, here it is.
The broadside of conflicting and, often, contradictory instruction and "information" was confusing even for a "just look at the data" kinda guy I am.
Another line item in my "Why I am a big government lefty" list.

And all this is just going to be like gasoline on the already over heated science skeptic problem we have and politicized disease control. Something that needs cold reasoning.
dv
TOS
Pariah posted:
I was pondring the whole Covid thing, watching the flailing about with every stick fiddling state and locality going their own way and absurd ideas popping up about quarantining travelers from hot spot states.
This whole thing has been the biggest swirling, writhing cluster fiddlesticks that I have ever seen.
If ever there was an effective counter argument to the notion that having 50, independent little "laboratories of democracy" produces best results, here it is.
The broadside of conflicting and, often, contradictory instruction and "information" was confusing even for a "just look at the data" kinda guy I am.
Another line item in my "Why I am a big government lefty" list.

And all this is just going to be like gasoline on the already over heated science skeptic problem we have and politicized disease control. Something that needs cold reasoning.

honestly i think the governmental structure is irrelevant ... everything depends on the character and intentions of the people, especially the people who govern

canada is a confederation, extremely de-centralized, and is as effectively-governed as anyplace else

there are a number of factors that have brought america to where it's at now, but i don't think the federal/state balance is one of them
dv
Obviously it would all be much better if I were in charge. Nice and efficient, with no stupid arguing about basic reality.
I really like wearing my mask. I like anonymity. I can see why authorities have always been wary of them in 'free' societies.

I think as more people are seen to be wearing them the greater the acceptance will be.
ukimalefu Canadized
macnuke Afar
Yeah...that’s what you get for testing
obvs To hell with toilet paper. I own a bidet
Seems like you could have left out the "outgoing".
DEyncourt posted:
maurvir posted:
juice posted:
TOS posted:
juice posted:
No, because sanely governed places like California will enact measures to mitigate the spread.

isn't california, or maybe it's just la, the fastest-growing covid centre in the country?

And they are taking action to correct it. (More than thoughts and prayers common in red states)

That, and the numbers are higher because CA is testing more. Red states are taking other approaches at "reducing their numbers". :goth:

And California has by far the largest population.

If you check here in the second graph (which is only for US states and DC), you will see that California is currently ahead of all states for number of new cases over 1 week averages, BUT scroll down to the bottom graph where the numbers are normalized by a the number of new cases per million in population. California barely avoids making the top ten states (which are--from top to number 10: Arizona, South Carolina, Arkansas, Florida, Utah, Texas, Alabama, Mississippi, North Carolina, and Georgia). This is despite how the "official" numbers released by some states have been deliberately deflated.

And now both Florida and Texas have passed California for number of new cases over 1 week averages. Those were in absolute numbers, not normalized by population.

Nevada has replaced Alabama in the top 10 states in new cases over 1 week averages when normalized by population.
Hey, I got tested for COVID-19!

It is a policy with Kaiser that they will do this test when a patient requires an invasive procedure.

I got the test involving the Q-Tip. I won't know the results until Tuesday or Wednesday because Kaiser will have to tell me that the test came back positive to cancel my procedure on Thursday.
ukimalefu Canadized
In preparation of the upcoming 4th of July weekend, LA County has closed ALL beaches from July 3rd through the 6th. Local officials did this with the worry of COVID-19 being on the rise, then local hospitals MIGHT become overloaded with patients several weeks from now.

Contrast that to how Arizona and Texas and--to a lesser extent--Florida have been reacting. Only NOW the first two states have implemented rather limited orders such as re-requiring masks in public areas in SOME locations, despite the fact that the medical system in both states HAVE reached 100% of capacity. Good luck getting a hospital bed if you are suffering from a non-COVID-19 problem like a heart attack in any of those states.
Yeah and I'm less than thrilled a lot of them are likely coming to Morro Bay since our beaches are open. I've got a hidden spot they probably won't find to bother me at least
justine Elitist Beer Lover
All bars in Sacramento County were shutdown again last night.
TOS
here in ontario, cases are mostly low -- though there are spikes among migrant fruit pickers -- but the provincial government has basically given up trying to manage the virus, leaving up to local jurisdictions to handle

thankfully, they seem to be stepping up, with many (most?) areas about to bring in a requirement to wear masks in all public spaces, while a lot of tourist locations (especially beaches) are either still closed or thinking of shutting back down because every loosening results in massive crowds

Quote:
The coronavirus is spreading too rapidly and too broadly for the U.S. to bring it under control, Dr. Anne Schuchat, principal deputy director of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, said Monday.

TOS
jesus stick fiddling christ

i think basically most governments in the usa have completely failed, so it's up to individuals to hunker down, use masks and gloves, isolate to the maximum extent possible, and just go full prepper as much as they can

collective effort seems impossible, governments have given up
Pariah Know Your Enemy
TOS posted:
jesus stick fiddling christ

i think basically most governments in the usa have completely failed, so it's up to individuals to hunker down, use masks and gloves, isolate to the maximum extent possible, and just go full prepper as much as they can

collective effort seems impossible, governments have given up

Wait till fall.
Lots of the working poor and not so poor they can only have a job if the kids are in school. It's a major hardship on those who can afford it least. There is going to be a hell of a lot of pressure to open schools and open them they will I am sure. Forget about social distancing, school are already crowded normally.
They shoulda just shut everything down for a month in the beginning. Get everything you need to survive for that month. Can't work from home? Can't work. Can't get gas. Can't go get fast food. Nothing. Total shutdown except for hospitals, LE and Fire.
justine posted:
They shoulda just shut everything down for a month in the beginning. Get everything you need to survive for that month. Can't work from home? Can't work. Can't get gas. Can't go get fast food. Nothing. Total shutdown except for hospitals, LE and Fire.

But muh rights! :der:
TOS
justine posted:

it didn't even need to be that strict, but yeah, it's what the rest of the damn world did
maurvir posted:
justine posted:

It would be for the greater good, and the government could help with money like they already did paying an extra $600 a week and those stimulus checks i woulda like to have received. I'm sure there would be a small group claiming civil rights violations but an executive order could be put in place to take care of that.
ukimalefu Canadized
European Union confirms ban on American travelers as US scrambles to contain coronavirus

American tourists deemed too risky for EU travel

https://www.theverge.com/2020/6/30/2130 ... c-response
ukimalefu Canadized
ukimalefu Canadized
ukimalefu Canadized
DukeofNuke FREE RADICAL
LOL! Good one!
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/coronaviru ... ng-people/

Quote:
Young people are out enjoying the warmer weather across the country, but according to health officials, they also might be spreading and contracting the coronavirus. As people pack into parks, beaches, restaurants, bars and even concerts, cases are rising in at least 37 states, with surges among young people linked to everything from fitness classes to summer fraternity parties.

"I'm not too scared of getting sick," said Chris Clarici in San Francisco.

"I just personally don't care," said a young person in Boston. "I haven't got sick yet."

https://www.fau.edu/newsdesk/articles/e ... avirus.php

I wish I had seen this last night, because I ran into a moron claiming face masks do more harm than good.
jkahless Custom Title
justine posted:
maurvir posted:
justine posted:

It would be for the greater good, and the government could help with money like they already did paying an extra $600 a week and those stimulus checks i woulda like to have received. I'm sure there would be a small group claiming civil rights violations but an executive order could be put in place to take care of that.

You don’t have to do a full shutdown. You only have to get contacts down to 30 of normal to stop this thing in its tracks iirc. That allows you to keep some things open, which is vital. In India they did what you suggested, and the poor are starving. It wouldn’t be as bad in the USA, but it would still decimate the poor.
TOS
jkahless posted:
justine posted:
maurvir posted:
justine posted:

You don’t have to do a full shutdown. You only have to get contacts down to 30 of normal to stop this thing in its tracks iirc. That allows you to keep some things open, which is vital. In India they did what you suggested, and the poor are starving. It wouldn’t be as bad in the USA, but it would still decimate the poor.

at this point, much of the usa would need a harsh shutdown in order to break the cycle of infection
TOS
ukimalefu posted:

out of curiosity i was looking at the prices for travel to europe, and i was blown away by how cheap it is right noew -- to the point where my wife is urging me to consider a solo trip as a birthday present to myself in august

imagine seeing the sights with zero crowds, it would be an amazing experience

but there's a mandatory two-week quarantine on returning to canada, plus who takes a holiday jaunt in the middle of a goddam pandemic?
jkahless Custom Title
TOS posted:
jkahless posted:
justine posted:
maurvir posted:
justine posted:

at this point, much of the usa would need a harsh shutdown in order to break the cycle of infection

I’d argue that you might need a full shutdown of the USA to get to 30%. ;) You need to get the population on-board, nothing else matters. BC has weathered this without a general shutdown, because there was by and large a voluntary shutdown. People were stopping going out before there was any request to do so.
TOS
jkahless posted:
TOS posted:
jkahless posted:
justine posted:
maurvir posted:
justine posted:

I’d argue that you might need a full shutdown of the USA to get to 30%. ;) You need to get the population on-board, nothing else matters. BC has weathered this without a general shutdown, because there was by and large a voluntary shutdown. People were stopping going out before there was any request to do so.

well it's all academic, since they've proven pretty definitively that a) not enough people would stick to it and b) not enough politicians support it

fauci says that soon america will see 150,000 infections per day, and i think he's right
Subsequent topic  /  Preceding topic

Outbreak of Coronavirus

Page: 1 ... 28, 29, 30, 31, 32