Page: 1 ... 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32
Online now: Google [Bot], iDaemon, j_tso, macaddict4life
TOS
maurvir Steamed meat popsicle
TOS posted:
maurvir posted:
Beijing reinstated lockdown as US officials warn the same could happen here

Quote:
Authorities in Beijing have locked down parts of the city, reinstated some restrictions, and are testing tens of thousands of residents amid a burst of new SARS-CoV-2 infections.

As of Monday, authorities have reported 79 cases in four days. Almost all of the cases link to the Xinfadi food market, the city’s largest wholesale meat and vegetable market. The market has a staggeringly large number of patrons, and experts fear that there are many more cases yet to be identified, each of which could spark additional outbreaks.

Before this, Beijing had gone more than 50 days without seeing any locally acquired cases of COVID-19.

In a press conference Monday, experts at the World Health Organization said the outbreak was significant.

question is, will americans adhere to a new round of lockdowns? it’s not as though they obeyed the first for very long

my big fear is a mutation that makes it even more deadly, but people refuse to believe it

Nope. The US is screwed. :worriedfrown:
dv
TOS
DEyncourt posted:

That is a double-edged sword right there. Sure, many repairs may be fine to do, but who is responsible if the device then goes on to kill someone? I'm not thrilled with the company's response, but I suspect it was made out of fear of getting the ever loving human waste sued out of them by the family of a patient killed by a poorly repaired ventilator.

Unlike your tablet or phone, medical devices are fraught with regulations and liability peril. Now, that said, I do think these companies are taking it way overboard, particularly on people who want to make fully automatic "synthetic pancreases" out of insulin injectors.
macnuke Afar
Renovo is the BioMed company that takes care of pretty much all of the equipment in the hospitals across the US. they have their engineers (never met a tech, they were all engineers.) certified by the equipment manufacturer.
in the event of a poorly repaired Vent.. Renovo takes the hit.
Take a look at the green graph on the right side here for Wisconsin.
https://bing.com/covid/local/wisconsin_ ... vert=graph
Note that the stay home order ended the week before last of April and now hold a paper piece up to the graph at a mean line for all the months PRIOR to above end date, see the spike...
:cry:
justine Elitist Beer Lover
Today, it became mandatory in California that you wear a mask in high risk areas, also known as anywhere there are other people.
TOS
a growing number of us jurisdictions are mandating masks

seems a bit late for this, no? wouldn't march or april have been a better time for it?
ukimalefu Canadized
DukeofNuke FREE RADICAL
TOS posted:

seems a bit late for this, no? wouldn't march or april have been a better time for it?

Damn litard demorats tryin' to take away MY FREEDOM!
TOS posted:

Hard to require masks when there aren't masks available.

Plus in March and April you were supposed to be staying home.
macaddict4life posted:
TOS posted:

I dunno about where you are, but they're everywhere here
dv
justine posted:
macaddict4life posted:
TOS posted:

Now.

I had to wait three weeks for my first pack back in April.
macnuke Afar
fortunately i have a printer. and a supply of N95 material.

stick fiddling hospital is still only giving you one... you turn in at the end of shift to have sterilized and you repeat till it falls apart.
dv
It's still basically impossible to find certain laundry products. (Lysol laundry sanitizer is one we've been using for years that's basically never in stock now. We got lucky at a Walmart last month but are almost out again.)

Before March, everyone but me must have been a lot dirtier than I thought.
Malkin kick 'em in the face; taste the body
I just want some 409...
Malkin posted:
I just want some 409...

I actually have 409, but it's probably illegal for me to send it.
On this week's episode (#780) of the Skeptics Guide to the Universe the panelists began with a summary of the past week's COVID-19 new--do note that this recording likely was made on June 17th--with a final story: what happened to this year's flu season? Dr. Steven Novella pointed out that this year's flu (there were two variations) WAS showing itself as a rather bad version where in the US the number of deaths was estimated between 20 K (the number of deaths tested for the flu) and 60 K (the estimated number of deaths that were treated as flu), but when the measures to limit COVID-19 were implemented beginning in March then the flu was "stopped cold":

This is from the CDC's Weekly U.S. Influenza Surveillance Report. Do note that the numbers along the bottom of the graph denote the week number with that year, so 202012 == 12th week in 2020 or the end of March/start of April. Compare this to the similar graph from LAST year's flu season:

Also note the change in scale between these graphs with the 2018-2019 graph being about 25% smaller than the 2019-2020 graph.

So, yes, this year's flu was already on the wane when we started work on COVID-19, but as Dr. Novella emphasized that this is independent evidence that even the limited and haphazardly enforced measures we took in the US WAS effective even with another viral disease (the flu) which we believe is rather similar to COVID-19 in paths of infection. On the other hand Dr. Novella also pointed out that obviously we could not repeat what we did for COVID-19, but perhps we should consider at least limited measures to stop the spread of the yearly flu:

DON'T TRY TO BE A HERO: STAY HOME IF YOU FEEL SICK

wear a mask especially when going into any crowded spaces like a public transit station or an airplane

get out of the habit of shaking hands
justine posted:
macaddict4life posted:
TOS posted:

True now. But in late March or early April the shortage was so bad we spent a ton of money getting some masks a local friend was able to source in China sent to my family, because the hospital my mother works at was almost out. There certainly were not enough for home use.
TOS
juice Inadvertently correct
We're number one!
TOS
No need to be concerned; the whole thing is a democrat hoax to keep Trump from getting reelected on the strength of the economy.
TOS
you write that stuff as well as dan writes marketing copy
macnuke Afar
TOS posted:

As a resident of a red state, I live it.
TOS
juice posted:
TOS posted:

stick fiddling hell, i don't know how you stand it

i'm a pretty understanding guy but jesus christ i have my limits
TOS posted:
juice posted:
TOS posted:

stick fiddling hell, i don't know how you stand it

i'm a pretty understanding guy but jesus christ i have my limits

I live in one of the reddest states in the US, and I can tell you how. You either move, if you can, learn how to sigh, if you can't, or you eat a bullet. I can't realistically move and I'm not suicidal, so I went with the learning how to sigh and quietly laugh at the locals.
macnuke Afar
welcome my world as well.. north texas.
DATELINE: January 22, 2024, Washington DC.

As the coronavirus pandemic ends its fourth year [NOTE: while a vaccine is assumed to give immunity, as yet we have no proof that a COVID-19 vaccine is possible nor that it will grant permanent immunity], Senator Samantha Scott (D-WI) proposed a bill which would take away statehood from South Dakota. The senator pointed out that the main criterion for granting statehood is population but a current population estimate for South Dakota is now under 39,000 [currently ~864 K].

"When the states were created one of the requirements is that a proposed state had at least 50 thousand residents," said Senator Scott yesterday when she proposed her bill before the US Senate. "COVID-19 has virtually wiped out South Dakota's population largely due to the state's mismanagement to control the spread of that disease, so I propose that the DAKOTAS be reconstituted as a single state with their collective population of about a half-million [North Dakota's current population is ~762 K] under the name of Dakota with the state capital remaining in Bismark."

Senator John Thune (R-SD) immediately rose to object along with the rest of his GOP colleagues. Senator Mike Rounds (R-SD) could not be reached as he is currently hospitalized and in intensive care due to coronavirus.

Because the Republicans have only 30 senators, the bill is expected to be passed by the Senate. Legal challenges are expected with the Supreme Court likely to take over the case ASAP.
TOS
so extrapolated from this imagined projection of south dakota, the us population in 4 years will be 16 million, if my numbers are right
No, because sanely governed places like California will enact measures to mitigate the spread.
dv
TOS posted:
so extrapolated from this imagined projection of south dakota, the us population in 4 years will be 16 million, if my numbers are right

So, how are things in your areas? On the surface, it almost feels like everything is back to normal. Traffic is still a little lighter, and masks are required by law when you're indoors around people. I did like eating out for my birthday, though. Every other table not being used was really nice, and we didn't get forgotten in a normally packed place. One thing that was a little disturbing was going into Best Buy. I was looking for a new wall mount for my tv and they had 2. 2! There weren't many tvs either. The place was like a ghost town.
Metacell Chocolate Brahma
We're having all-time record spikes in Reno. Over 500 cases in one day.
TOS
juice posted:
No, because sanely governed places like California will enact measures to mitigate the spread.

isn't california, or maybe it's just la, the fastest-growing covid centre in the country?
TOS posted:
juice posted:

isn't california, or maybe it's just la, the fastest-growing covid centre in the country?

And they are taking action to correct it. (More than thoughts and prayers common in red states)
juice posted:
TOS posted:
juice posted:

And they are taking action to correct it. (More than thoughts and prayers common in red states)

That, and the numbers are higher because CA is testing more. Red states are taking other approaches at "reducing their numbers". :goth:
Subsequent topic  /  Preceding topic

Outbreak of Coronavirus

Page: 1 ... 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32