Outbreak of Coronavirus

Page: 1 ... 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32
Online now: Bing (sucks), Jonesy, juice
maurvir Steamed meat popsicle
Alabama (and I have no doubt, other southern states) are also demonstrating the racial disparity. If you look at the maps of percent infected by county, it almost perfectly overlaps with the racial maps by county. Which might explain why so few people in this state continue to care about COVID-19. I had to run into the office today to debug something, and it was pretty clear that even the token measures were being ignored.
TOS
if it makes you feel any better, the same thing is happening in canada ... a recent report out of toronto shows the outbreaks concentrated in areas with a high concentration of poverty and new immigrants
Robert B. Dandy Highwayman
ukimalefu Canadized
In order to survive the quarantine and social distancing here, movie theater companies here are bringing back drive-ins.
justine Elitist Beer Lover
ukimalefu posted:
In order to survive the quarantine and social distancing here, movie theater companies here are bringing back drive-ins.

They never left here.
We've got just one. They closed it for a while because of need to clean the bathroom after each person. That misunderstanding got straightened out and its back open.
https://www.facebook.com/sunsetdrivein/
Malkin kick 'em in the face; taste the body
Our movies in the park is moving to a parking lot this summer and being run drive-in style. I prefer relaxing in the grass, but am glad they're finding a way to make it all work.
I never really liked drive ins. Especially if a movie is dark.
ukimalefu Canadized
Monkeys in India Stole Covid-19 Blood Samples, Chewed on Them

Quote:
A band of thieving monkeys attacked a lab researcher in India and made off with blood test samples taken from covid-19 patients.

Reuters reports that the monkey mugging happened on a college campus in the city of Meerut. The animals attacked a lab technician working at the college and stole several blood samples before making their escape. Later video footage showed one of the monkeys handling the samples and putting them in its mouth, the Times of India reports.

:eek: :paranoid: :facepalm:

ukimalefu Canadized
"Coronavirus May Be a Blood Vessel Disease, Which Explains Everything".

Well, maybe not EVERYTHING about COVID-19, but this seems likely to redirect doctors to more useful treatments and therapies and infection controls. Like everyone else, doctors CAN be like the hammer for which EVERYTHING is just a nail to be hammered down: "It's JUST another pulmonary disease...."
Pariah Know Your Enemy
On Friday night I started running a fever and felt like crap and after a couple of days decided I should go get a Covid test due to my symptoms lining up pretty with the Covid symptom list.

I went to a walk-in clinic to get tested and they did the shallow swab test but the NP there did not like how fast my heart was beating so she sent me over to a hospital to get checked over. Had a chest x-ray and a EKG run. No problems with my lungs or heart.

They gave me the deep swab Covid test.
Tests came back today, negative so that's good.
The Doc at the hospital said that given my history, contacts and clear chest x-ray she thinks what I most likely have is an upper respiratory tract infection not Covid but my symptom made it prudent to test me and keep me quarantined till I get the tests back.
But....
I still feel like crap so something is wrong, going to call and set up a tele-visit with my Doctor to discuss why the hell I have been getting sick so much lately when nothing seems to be wrong. I am directed that, regardless of my negative test result I am to remain quarantined until either 2 weeks or till I feel 100% better depending on who I listen to and that is also something on my list of things to talk to doc about.
I will be needing some sort of official paper saying I am no longer a plague carrier before I can return to work. So I am on a little vacation, with pay, till I get this all sorted.
DukeofNuke FREE RADICAL
Hang in there, pal. I'll be thinking about you.
Keep us posted
juice Inadvertently correct
Get well soon, Par. We need your boots out there whipping nazi ass.
Hey, Pariah, I'll point out again this article about COVID-19 testing in which Dr. Steven Novella wrote:
Quote:
Perhaps the most common PCR test being used in retrospect has been found to have a sensitivity of 0.777 and a specificity of 0.988. That is great specificity, which means if you test positive you likely have the virus – but again, depending on the prior probability. If you are symptomatic during a pandemic, or were exposed to someone, then yeah, you probably have it. The sensitivity is a concern, however – about 23% of those with the virus will be missed by the test.

[link omitted, bold added]

Which might mean you were simply tested too early at this point, so you are sick enough that your body is reacting to the infection so that you feel like crap but you have yet to produce enough antibodies for thia test to detect them.

Obviously you aren't going to be among the 40 or so percent who DID get COVID-19 but escaped getting ANY serious symptoms (likely it was one of these people who gave it to you), but I'm hoping that you will not be among the 20 or so percent who wind up hospitalized or worse.

BUT it is also possible that you merely got some flu bug. It IS a bit late in the flu season but some people do get infected with the flu all year long so perhaps you are one of those unfortunate few.
Pariah Know Your Enemy
DEyncourt posted:
Hey, Pariah, I'll point out again this article about COVID-19 testing in which Dr. Steven Novella wrote:
Quote:
Perhaps the most common PCR test being used in retrospect has been found to have a sensitivity of 0.777 and a specificity of 0.988. That is great specificity, which means if you test positive you likely have the virus – but again, depending on the prior probability. If you are symptomatic during a pandemic, or were exposed to someone, then yeah, you probably have it. The sensitivity is a concern, however – about 23% of those with the virus will be missed by the test.

[link omitted, bold added]

Which might mean you were simply tested too early at this point, so you are sick enough that your body is reacting to the infection so that you feel like crap but you have yet to produce enough antibodies for thia test to detect them.

Obviously you aren't going to be among the 40 or so percent who DID get COVID-19 but escaped getting ANY serious symptoms (likely it was one of these people who gave it to you), but I'm hoping that you will not be among the 20 or so percent who wind up hospitalized or worse.

BUT it is also possible that you merely got some flu bug. It IS a bit late in the flu season but some people do get infected with the flu all year long so perhaps you are one of those unfortunate few.

I have a personal and family history of deep and diabolically hard to treat sinus infections. My bet is that is what is going on.
I have a tele-conference call scheduled with my Doc this afternoon to discuss things.
Hey, speaking of the flu season: remember there is STILL a lot of happy talk from the White House about a COVID-19 season. Part of its policy was that as the temperatures (in the Northern Hemisphere) begin to heat up, then the infections should start going away, that the spread could be contained.

How's that working for them? Um, practically not at all. AND, mind you, the data used to create those graphs are almost undoubtedly severely underreported.

And those guys at Electoral-Vote.com had reminded us on June 2nd that hurricane season has begun. That link is to the National Hurricane Center of NOAA, and you might note that in the northern Atlantic we are already (on June 3rd) up to the C's: tropical storm Cristobal in the Bay of Campeche (that part of the Gulf of Mexico between most of Mexico and the Yucatan peninsula). Cristobal appears to be heading inland into Mexico causing severe flooding in southern Mexico.
DukeofNuke FREE RADICAL
Quote:
Part of its policy was that as the temperatures (in the Northern Hemisphere) begin to heat up, then the infections should start going away, that the spread could be contained.

Yes, Donnie. That's why Australia and New Zealand were hit in January, the very middle and hottest part of their Summer!
DukeofNuke FREE RADICAL
Quote:
Months into the pandemic, there is now a growing body of evidence to support the theory that the novel coronavirus can infect blood vessels, which could explain not only the high prevalence of blood clots, strokes, and heart attacks, but also provide an answer for the diverse set of head-to-toe symptoms that have emerged.
https://elemental.medium.com/coronaviru ... 4032481ab2

DukeofNuke posted:
Quote:
Part of its policy was that as the temperatures (in the Northern Hemisphere) begin to heat up, then the infections should start going away, that the spread could be contained.

Yes, Donnie. That's why Australia and New Zealand were hit in January, the very middle and hottest part of their Summer!

FTFY--the current Alternative Facts administration begs that you should ignore that man over there as he must be part of the Deep State!...um, a liar!...um....
"Explaining the Pandemic to my Past Self Part 2".

Here is part 1 if you want to compare. That video was posted on April 9th.
My Covid travel letter has now been updated to be a Covid/Curfew travel letter. :/
DEyncourt posted:
"Explaining the Pandemic to my Past Self Part 2".

Here is part 1 if you want to compare. That video was posted on April 9th.

Heh. This was sort of done in real life: "‘Did I Miss Anything?’: A Man Emerges From a 75-Day Silent Retreat".
DukeofNuke posted:
Quote:
Months into the pandemic, there is now a growing body of evidence to support the theory that the novel coronavirus can infect blood vessels, which could explain not only the high prevalence of blood clots, strokes, and heart attacks, but also provide an answer for the diverse set of head-to-toe symptoms that have emerged.
https://elemental.medium.com/coronaviru ... 4032481ab2

Ahem.

Though speaking of which: "Some people might be more vulnerable to Covid-19 because of their genes, a new study says".

There are two locations in the human genome at which variations are associated with greater risks for respiratory failure in COVID-19 patients. One location determines blood type, so people with type A blood can have a 50% increase in their chances of requiring oxygen and a ventilator if infected.
(click here for Part I)

...there was report from Texas that at least five correctional officers at the Beaumont Federal Prison had tested positive for COVID-19. Of course NOW we have no idea as to how widespread that outbreak had become with the prisoners at Beaumont nor with that federal prison's personnel, especially now that some of them have been shipped to DC.

How much you wanna bet that WE the taxpayers are paying Trump the full rate to have these troops housed--four to a room--at Trump International Hotel (the NEXT site of a huge outbreak of COVID-19)?
DEyncourt posted:
[snip]
And those guys at Electoral-Vote.com had reminded us on June 2nd that hurricane season has begun. That link is to the National Hurricane Center of NOAA, and you might note that in the northern Atlantic we are already (on June 3rd) up to the C's: tropical storm Cristobal in the Bay of Campeche (that part of the Gulf of Mexico between most of Mexico and the Yucatan peninsula). Cristobal appears to be heading inland into Mexico causing severe flooding in southern Mexico.

...but instead of Cristobal being broken up as it passed over the Yucatan, it basically reformed to the NW of the Yucatan.

Current projections have TS Cristobal heading more-or-less northward towards Louisiana, but there are storm warnings ranging as far east as Tampa, FL. Being fed again by the very warm waters of the Gulf of Mexico, Cristobal has the potential of upgrading to a full hurricane before it makes another landfall.
BTW:

Tropical storm Arthur began on May 12th as a depression between the Florida Keys and Cuba before moving northeastward until NW of the Bahamas when Arthur strengthened into a tropical storm on May 16th. It brushed on the ocean side of the Outer Banks of North Carolina before dissipating mid-Atlantic on May 19th.

Tropical Storm Bertha first formed as a depression on May 25th over the Atlantic between Florida and the Bahamas which meandered northward along the Florida coast before moving out NE over the Gulf Stream where it achieved tropical storm status on May 27th. Bertha rather quickly moved NNW, making landfall on South Carolina within hours. Eventually Bertha's remnants were absorbed into another storm system over Ottawa, Canada, on May 29th.
ukimalefu Canadized
jkahless Custom Title
NYC recommends glory holes for safer sex.

“Be creative with sexual positions and physical barriers, like walls“

https://www1.nyc.gov/assets/doh/downloa ... idance.pdf
obvs To hell with toilet paper. I own a bidet
:lol:

They could call it "The Staten Island".
jkahless Custom Title
:lol:
Mutual masterbation with your roommate, “the COVID compromise.”
TOS
so canada's border with the usa is closed ... however it's still okay for americans to cross if they're headed for alaska, seeing as you can't get there by land without going through canada

unfortunately it turns out that a number of americans are using that as a loophole to visit nearly-empty tourist sites ... telling the border folks they're going to alaska when really they're not

folk're mighty wasted about this
sean Royal Wombat
DEyncourt posted:

It really is pants crappingly terrifying when you visualize it that way.
sean posted:
DEyncourt posted:

It really is pants crappingly terrifying when you visualize it that way.

And it stops on May 24th when the COVID-19 count was merely 345 K.

A month further on the worldwide count is 435 K. The death count in the US is at 116 K, on the verge of bypassing the number of US dead from WWI.
TOS
Beijing reinstated lockdown as US officials warn the same could happen here

Quote:
Authorities in Beijing have locked down parts of the city, reinstated some restrictions, and are testing tens of thousands of residents amid a burst of new SARS-CoV-2 infections.

As of Monday, authorities have reported 79 cases in four days. Almost all of the cases link to the Xinfadi food market, the city’s largest wholesale meat and vegetable market. The market has a staggeringly large number of patrons, and experts fear that there are many more cases yet to be identified, each of which could spark additional outbreaks.

Before this, Beijing had gone more than 50 days without seeing any locally acquired cases of COVID-19.

In a press conference Monday, experts at the World Health Organization said the outbreak was significant.

jkahless Custom Title
Chinese officials are blaming the outbreak on imported salmon, which is consistent with their pattern of blaming outbreaks on foreigners.

The WHO is sceptical.
TOS
maurvir posted:
Beijing reinstated lockdown as US officials warn the same could happen here

Quote:
Authorities in Beijing have locked down parts of the city, reinstated some restrictions, and are testing tens of thousands of residents amid a burst of new SARS-CoV-2 infections.

As of Monday, authorities have reported 79 cases in four days. Almost all of the cases link to the Xinfadi food market, the city’s largest wholesale meat and vegetable market. The market has a staggeringly large number of patrons, and experts fear that there are many more cases yet to be identified, each of which could spark additional outbreaks.

Before this, Beijing had gone more than 50 days without seeing any locally acquired cases of COVID-19.

In a press conference Monday, experts at the World Health Organization said the outbreak was significant.

question is, will americans adhere to a new round of lockdowns? it’s not as though they obeyed the first for very long

my big fear is a mutation that makes it even more deadly, but people refuse to believe it
Subsequent topic  /  Preceding topic

Outbreak of Coronavirus

Page: 1 ... 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32