Outbreak of Coronavirus

Page: 1 ... 25, 26, 27, 28, 29
Online now: DukeofNuke, Google [Bot], iDaemon, ukimalefu
DukeofNuke posted:
Honestly, places should have to have a sign-in sheet. To aid contact tracing.

Whatever happened to that Apple/Google contact tracing app? Did it even get off the ground?

I'm installing a simple video system in my shop because I expect difficulties to arise on the retail floor that I never had to bother with before. I hope I'm wrong. Generally my experiences up to now in the few open establishments have been positive. But that's with people staying away. What happens when they (we) are given permission to get out there and shop? I am now not looking forward to re-opening.
jkahless Custom Title
The difference in behaviour is concerning me. I went out to buy groceries yesterday, and people aren’t giving the space they used to. Even though BC has done a phenomenal job combating this crisis, I’m bracing for a second wave.

I didn’t realize just how good our response has been. Apparently we had a test in development and were stockpiling supplies in January, which is exactly when we should have. I’m pretty stick fiddling proud right now. We were ready before the first case, and theyve put the experts not only in charge, but in the spotlight.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... the-deaths
DukeofNuke FREE RADICAL
Quote:
'Neither Ironic or Funny': Cell Data Reveals Right-Wing Lockdown Protesters May Be Spreading Covid-19
https://www.commondreams.org/news/2020/ ... phEEP1pCX0

I'm shocked! Shocked!
dv
DukeofNuke posted:
Quote:
'Neither Ironic or Funny': Cell Data Reveals Right-Wing Lockdown Protesters May Be Spreading Covid-19
https://www.commondreams.org/news/2020/ ... phEEP1pCX0

I'm shocked! Shocked!

TOS
jkahless posted:
The difference in behaviour is concerning me. I went out to buy groceries yesterday, and people aren’t giving the space they used to. Even though BC has done a phenomenal job combating this crisis, I’m bracing for a second wave.

I didn’t realize just how good our response has been. Apparently we had a test in development and were stockpiling supplies in January, which is exactly when we should have. I’m pretty stick fiddling proud right now. We were ready before the first case, and theyve put the experts not only in charge, but in the spotlight.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... the-deaths

i've noticed that too ... even though the lockdown hasn't actually loosened much, there's enough talk floating around that people are most definitely not adhering to it as they once did

i honestly expect a fresh outbreak from all this, and all those lockdown advocate will wear those deaths
DukeofNuke FREE RADICAL
Quote:
Maryland Reports Largest Rise Yet In Coronavirus Cases 4 Days After Reopening
https://www.npr.org/sections/coronaviru ... 0VJLbLQuOc

Some stories from the Rachel Maddow Show:

There was a report about the US Navy aircraft carrier Theodore Roosevelt which has been stuck at Guam due to an outbreak of COVID-19. It seems that at least 13 of the sailors who WERE infected--I believe to the point where they required being hospitalized at the Navy hospital on Guam--and had recovered but tested positive AGAIN. This is after they had tested negative on two successive days and thus returned to duty aboard.

Maddow had on a doctor who naturally deferred to the report considering that he could not know the details, but venturing a guess he suggested that these cases may have been false positives due to the nature of the tests that were involved. He also emphasized that we STILL do not know with any certainty if any previous infection by COVID-19 will give anyone any level of immunity to future infections.

-----

Maddow also repeated a report from Politico about how about 40 K National Guards have been deployed to various states to help fill in some vital medical personnel shortages all across the US. The benefitting governors and local officials had been begging the president to allow these National Guards to continue at their current duties through the fall, but last week the White House issued an order that these particular National Guards had a "hard stop" to their orders that would apply to them on June 24th.

That date was rather mysterious in that no one offered any explanation for it until the Politico reporter figured out that on June 24th these National Guards would be on their 89th day of deployment. Funny thing: by law if these National Guards reached their 90th day of (continuous?) deployment, then they would become eligible for various medical and education benefits provided by the G.I. Bill.

Since these National Guards probably will require a two-week-long isolation prior to the end of their duties, they may be pulled out as early as June 10th.

So Promises Kept!™ See? Trump is running the US government JUST like he ran his private businesses.
obvs To hell with toilet paper. I own a bidet
TOS
Pariah Know Your Enemy
Around here there is a clear demographic pattern to who you see wearing a mask. Women by far are more likely then men to mask up. Black women even more so. Naturally the main group of non-maskers is the stick fiddling boomers and their male offspring (Men in their 40s who are clearly going to be echo boomers when they get old).
Honestly, I don't know what went wrong with so many of my generation.
It is baffling. This boomer wears the very cool, mask my wife made for me out of a bandana.
Yes. The planet has a 'man' problem.

That's a nice mask.

I made one with a pocket in which I can insert a paper towel or a coffee filtre.
Dr. Steven Novella on "COVID-19 Testing".

On how there is a balance between accuracy and the time it takes to get results, and how some of the current COVID-19 tests being used may be flagging too many as false positives such as possibly those sailors aboard the Theodore Roosevelt).
TOS
possible new strain of covid in china

very troubling ... it appears to have a longer period of pre-symptom infectiousness, while people test postive for longer after recovery

it's tricky because there's been talk of new strains before, it's hard to know what to make of it
macnuke Afar
TOS posted:
possible new strain of covid in china

very troubling ... it appears to have a longer period of pre-symptom infectiousness, while people test postive for longer after recovery

it's tricky because there's been talk of new strains before, it's hard to know what to make of it

well when people fiddlesticks with mother nature.. you're never sure of the outcome. (conspiracy theory #11)
jkahless Custom Title
Nature finds a way.
TOS
this would possibly be the third strain of corona ... thankfully none of the mutations so far have made it more lethal (though they have made it spread more easily)
juice Inadvertently correct
A more lethal variant would be self defeating for the virus. I'm not sure if that plays a part in the mutations.
TOS
it doesn't choose its mutations

if the death rate is currently around 2%, there is plenty of room to grow without reaching the 50% death rate of something like ebola

if, say, it suddenly jumps to 10%, you go from 1,000 deaths per day to 5,000

a little bit of math reveals how incredibly devastating that becomes very quickly, while still not burning itself out
justine Elitist Beer Lover
Looks like we may be back full scale in a week or 2, so those that chose to live off the state and not be a "stick fiddling moron" for being essential will actually have to work for their money.
Lombo Opiofiend
I see that someone off-hand comment made you salty. For the record, I think that if someone wants to work despite risk he can as long as his behaviour does not endanger others. More so if you are essential. Also with a whooping 1200$ reward for not working for 2 months I don’t think people that don’t feel safe to work are moochers.
TOS posted:
it doesn't choose its mutations

if the death rate is currently around 2%, there is plenty of room to grow without reaching the 50% death rate of something like ebola

if, say, it suddenly jumps to 10%, you go from 1,000 deaths per day to 5,000

a little bit of math reveals how incredibly devastating that becomes very quickly, while still not burning itself out

I’m aware of how mutation works. I was speculating as to if generations upon generations of natural selection in the virus had turned down the fatality level.
justine Elitist Beer Lover
Lombo posted:
I see that someone off-hand comment made you salty. For the record, I think that if someone wants to work despite risk he can as long as his behaviour does not endanger others. More so if you are essential. Also with a whooping 1200$ reward for not working for 2 months I don’t think people that don’t feel safe to work are moochers.

It wasn't an offhand comment. It was a direct insult. When i refer to moochers, i refer to those that are staying home to collect unemployment ins with a bonus $600 a week. Not sure what the 1200 you're referring to is? If you mean the stimulus check, then half the people i work with, including myself, don't qualify.
Yeah, I give it two weeks before the numbers jump.
https://www.enviroreporter.com/2020/04/n95-masks-safely-sterilized-in-microwave-ovens-after-two-minutes-with-93-success-rate-says-2012-air-force-report/

I have been sterilising my masks in a microwave oven in a similar way that this article describes. I wet the mask with an atomizer before nuking it.

Can't hurt.
Get ready for it to be really really bad in about a month

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/05/21/trump-s ... -hits.html
Lombo Opiofiend
justine posted:

It wasn't an offhand comment. It was a direct insult. When i refer to moochers, i refer to those that are staying home to collect unemployment ins with a bonus $600 a week. Not sure what the 1200 you're referring to is? If you mean the stimulus check, then half the people i work with, including myself, don't qualify.

I thought that all Americans got was the illegally trump-signed check. Sorry then, carry-on.
Ribtor posted:
https://www.enviroreporter.com/2020/04/n95-masks-safely-sterilized-in-microwave-ovens-after-two-minutes-with-93-success-rate-says-2012-air-force-report/

I have been sterilising my masks in a microwave oven in a similar way that this article describes. I wet the mask with an atomizer before nuking it.

Can't hurt.

Weellll...yes and no.

I'll point out that your linked study was about how these so-treated N95 masks had a substantial (93%) reduction of live virus on them. Such cleaning is OK, but your linked artilce does NOT address how those N95 masks got that designation.

In episode 771 of the Skeptics Guide to the Universe at about 25% the way into that program they featured a story about how some folks at MIT tested if gamma ray radiation could be used to sterilize N95 masks. While that test was likewise successful in steriizing the tested masks AND testing afterward found that the treated masks still functioned effectively in sealing themselves against the faces of the testers (so the radiation did not alter the parts such as making them brittle to bending).

BUT they further analyzed the treated masks and found that they were no longer N95 masks. To understand why, one must understand that the way these masks got their N95 designation: they will capture up to 95% of airborne particulate matter over 0.3 microns in diameter through electrostatic effects. This is important because most air droplets created by sneezes are larger than 0.3 microns. Unfortunately the experimenters theorize that gamma ray treatment affected these masks' electrostatic filtration such that afterward they captured only about 30% of such airborne particles, hence converting them to N30 masks. Still much more effective at protection than standard medical surgery masks so generally useful, but no longer N95 masks.

I would venture a guess that in your linked article that the various treatments of N95 masks probably likewise would render any treated masks into masks which should get a lower designation.

As to whether or not microwave steam-cleaning any homemade masks is effective...well, sure, but you could also get rid of nearly all germs and viruses by washing your hands with soap and water after removing your mask. Any germs and viruses remaining on the mask following a venture outside likely will be dead within hours. If not dead, then they are likely not pathogenic for humans OR have become a NEW worrisome bacteria or virus.
TOS
Ribtor posted:

Can't hurt.

wouldn't steaming a mask kind of ruin it? i mean i guess in extremis i might try it, but otherwise it sounds kind of silly
TOS
Kirk posted:

a million dead

he won't stop, and no one will stop him, until there's a million dead
Kirk posted:

I hope my government is able to withstand pressures to open the border in the face of this.
TOS
Ribtor posted:
Kirk posted:

I hope my government is able to withstand pressures to open the border in the face of this.

since the border is a federal issue, i think we're safe on that front

it's doug numbskull ford loosening the lockdown despite a growing case-count that troubles me
jkahless Custom Title
TOS posted:
Ribtor posted:
Kirk posted:

it's doug numbskull ford loosening the lockdown despite a growing case-count that troubles me

It was the lack of locking down healthcare employees to one place of work that put you guys in such a bad spot.

I’m still baffled they continued cross border employment as long as they did, with full knowledge of the Detroit Windsor connection. There is just so much human resistance to stopping the status quo.
TOS
jkahless posted:
TOS posted:
Ribtor posted:
Kirk posted:

It was the lack of locking down healthcare employees to one place of work that put you guys in such a bad spot.

I’m still baffled they continued cross border employment as long as they did, with full knowledge of the Detroit Windsor connection. There is just so much human resistance to stopping the status quo.

i think the hope was that american authorities would be equally dilligent about fighting the virus, and in fairness i don't think anyone could have foreseen the insanity they've fallen into
TOS posted:
jkahless posted:
TOS posted:
Ribtor posted:
Kirk posted:

i think the hope was that american authorities would be equally dilligent about fighting the virus, and in fairness i don't think anyone could have foreseen the insanity they've fallen into

If you truly thought that, you clearly haven't been paying attention the past several years.
jkahless Custom Title
TOS posted:
jkahless posted:
TOS posted:
Ribtor posted:
Kirk posted:

That doesn’t explain why they continued to allow care aids to work at multiple sites within the province. That’s a colossal failure. :(
TOS
jkahless posted:
TOS posted:
jkahless posted:
TOS posted:
Ribtor posted:
Kirk posted:

That doesn’t explain why they continued to allow care aids to work at multiple sites within the province. That’s a colossal failure. :(

yeah, that's true ... my current suspicion is that ltc facilities have been far under the radar for so long that even public health people weren't including them in their plans and strategies
jkahless Custom Title
It would have caused a staffing crisis, and I think the politicians thought they could get away with it to avoid that.

That would have been way better than this.
TOS
dv
Pariah Know Your Enemy
TOS posted:

Obesity is a major risk factor with Covid so this comes as no surprise.

Oh, and the story indicates under reporting at 30x not 300x.
Subsequent topic  /  Preceding topic

Outbreak of Coronavirus

Page: 1 ... 25, 26, 27, 28, 29