Outbreak of Coronavirus

Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 19
Online now: Google [Bot]
ukimalefu dysfunctional

Quote:
An outbreak of a never-before-seen coronavirus in the Chinese city of Wuhan dramatically worsened over the last few days—the case count has more than tripled, cases have appeared in new cities, and authorities have confirmed that the virus is spreading person to person.

Quote:
On Saturday, January 18, the Wuhan Municipal Health Commission reported 136 newly identified cases of the viral pneumonia and one additional death. On Tuesday, January 21 (local time 4:18am), the commission reported another death. That brings Wuhan’s totals to 198 cases and four deaths. Just one day earlier, on January 17, the health commission had reported just 62 cases and two deaths.

sorry for this, but it has started

Not sorry :worriedfrown:

*cough*cough*

Last edited by ukimalefu on Thu Mar 26, 2020 7:45 am.

Well human waste. There are a lot of Chinese guys at my shop and they likely have close ties to home
Pariah Know Your Enemy
I have been wondering when the Earth's immune response would start.
Séamas Honorary Consul General
I thought acupuncture and rhino horn would prevent this kind of thing from happening there.
TOS
yeah, let's not over-dramatize, okay? jesus
juice Inadvertently correct
I thought it was cute.
"1st Case Of New Coronavirus Detected In U.S."
Quote:
Cases of coronavirus, named 2019-nCoV, have also been confirmed in Japan, Thailand and South Korea.

The rising international concern about the coronavirus comes ahead of Lunar New Year, a major holiday in China during which millions of people travel across the country and internationally.

TOS posted:
yeah, let's not over-dramatize, okay? jesus

But it’s SARS of the ‘20s!

*runs about like a chicken with his head lopped off*

;)
Pariah Know Your Enemy
You should all know that the whole "germ theory" thing is just a Big Pharma lie to get people to buy their fake drugs.
The most important question is how dangerous it is. That'll determine the appropriate response. Uki's article says four deaths in 198 cases or a 2% fatality rate. This could be a statistical anomaly given the small sample size so far. Note however new viruses tend to be more dangerous until we build up resistance. Also the viruses will evolve to be less fatal over time. Still the current death rate is quite high. The typical rate for flu is 0.2%. So be extra careful.

Here's a few more articles

https://ktla.com/2020/01/21/heres-what- ... ronavirus/

https://www.scientificamerican.com/arti ... e-workers/
Actually, while this isn't flu, we learned from the 1918 pandemic that the first wave of a new virus often isn't the most dangerous. It's the second wave that often has the highest fatality rate, and then both the evolution of the virus and the development of immunity serve to reduce the severity of future outbreaks.

Of course, other interesting new factors that haven't been an issue for quite some time include the rejection of vaccines and the epidemics of measles, which tends to wipe out existing immunities and leave people freshly vulnerable to things they had been exposed to.

My wife and I found some last minute deals, mostly to Vietnam and Korean, but haven't yet decided whether we are traveling for Chinese New Year (and even if we do, China isn't on our list). This virus won't make our decisions, but it is one of many factors in the "stay home" column. This time of year represents one of the largest mass migrations of people during the year.
ukimalefu dysfunctional
macaddict4life posted:
This time of year represents one of the largest mass migrations of people during the year.

That's a great window of opportunity for the army of the 12 monkeys :paranoid:
TOS
macaddict4life posted:
Actually, while this isn't flu, we learned from the 1918 pandemic that the first wave of a new virus often isn't the most dangerous. It's the second wave that often has the highest fatality rate, and then both the evolution of the virus and the development of immunity serve to reduce the severity of future outbreaks.

Of course, other interesting new factors that haven't been an issue for quite some time include the rejection of vaccines and the epidemics of measles, which tends to wipe out existing immunities and leave people freshly vulnerable to things they had been exposed to.

My wife and I found some last minute deals, mostly to Vietnam and Korean, but haven't yet decided whether we are traveling for Chinese New Year (and even if we do, China isn't on our list). This virus won't make our decisions, but it is one of many factors in the "stay home" column. This time of year represents one of the largest mass migrations of people during the year.

apparently they're closing off the city of wuhan to prevent people there from travelling during the new year holiday
Pariah Know Your Enemy
Imagine what the death toll of the 1918 outbreak would have been if there had been the global transportation network that we have now.
TOS
Pariah posted:
Imagine what the death toll of the 1918 outbreak would have been if there had been the global transportation network that we have now.

it might have been much lower if they'd had our communications, fast reaction and monitoring capabilities
dv
TOS posted:
Pariah posted:

it might have been much lower if they'd had our communications, fast reaction and monitoring capabilities

And a flu vaccine.
justine Elitist Beer Lover
Did you guys see them on the news at the airport there? Digital temp check on everyone arriving.

They have one confirmed case in the US and one potential case in Mexico.
New data - 9 deaths out of 440 cases. So its staying at about 2% death rate.
Now its 25 deaths out of 830 cases or 3%. That's close enough to be effectively unchanged.
https://www.cnbc.com/2020/01/24/china-c ... -rise.html
ukimalefu dysfunctional
TOS
Kirk posted:
Now its 25 deaths out of 830 cases or 3%. That's close enough to be effectively unchanged.
https://www.cnbc.com/2020/01/24/china-c ... -rise.html

reported deaths

chinese social media is full of terrifying reports of far more deaths

just rumours, of course, but let's face it, the party's top concern is to save face, and lying about numbers has always been a key part of their governance
juice Inadvertently correct
Control of information flow is very important to a certain type of governing. If you can't control the flow, discredit the source as fake news and the enemy of the people.
TOS
it's not just top-down, it's widespread

reports of doctors refusing to test patients dying of pneumonia, ordering immediate cremations after death, stuff like that
TOS
TOS
don't see how it's connected to all this

although i read that sars was being studied in a lab in wuhan that foreign experts insisted was insecure, only to be ignored by the government
The deadly virus reaserch lab was very close to the frond zero for the infection, leading it to be very plausible that contagious waste was not properly disposed and was eaten by wildlife which was then eaten by humans.
TOS
apparently there's a case at sunnybrook hospital in toronto

fun fact: my kids were born there
If there's a case in Calgary I'm screwed because I'm only one or two degrees of separation from the Chinese community here.
TOS
viruses don't care about ethnicity, genius
ukimalefu dysfunctional
TOS posted:
viruses don't care about ethnicity, genius

Outbreak starts in China

Chinese people are likely to travel to and from China

Contagion risk is increased

But you're not wrong, a perfectly pale, blonde, blue eyed person could have gone and returned from China too. Or any person.
TOS
once it crosses borders, ethnicity is irrelevant
TOS posted:

Not immediately. A person that travels to and from China is most likely involved with or a part of the Chinese community and will interact with the Chinese community in other countries, making those communities potential sources of infection.
TOS
Betonhaus posted:
TOS posted:

Not immediately. A person that travels to and from China is most likely involved with or a part of the Chinese community and will interact with the Chinese community in other countries, making those communities potential sources of infection.

i keep forgetting how knowledgable you are
Pariah Know Your Enemy
Imagine being the the Quarantine Zone.
Considering that access to food has been restricted I don't think I want to.
TOS
not to worry, you're not chinese so you'd be okay
Its holding at about 2% fatality rate but it seems to spread very easily.
https://www.cnn.com/2020/01/28/asia/wuh ... index.html
jkahless Custom Title
TOS posted:

To be fair, ethnic enclaving is still a factor in epidemiology, but I'd expect it to be a small one in urban communities.
Subsequent topic  /  Preceding topic

Outbreak of Coronavirus

Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 19