I have a Soda Stream in my cart

Page: 1, 2
Online now: DukeofNuke, Google [Bot]
justine Elitist Beer Lover
I know at least one person here has one and seems to really like it. All the reviews i've read seem to be favorable. After tax t's going to be $104. Thats 1 maker, 1 60L canister 3 OneL bottles and 2 half L bottles. Seems like a great deal. Anyone else here use one?
mmaverick my steady systematic decline
I keep thinking about it, I just have a hard time spending so much on refill/replacement of the co2 canisters. If I can figure out a clean way of doing it with my kegging co2 bottles though...
I drink a lot of carbonated (not sparkling) water. No sodium. No caffeine. No calories. It does have aspartame, though, and that's what i'm aiming to cut out of my life as much as possible. I also think i may save more money even with the cost of the CO2, especially when there are deals on it. I will lose a significant amount of recycling money, though.
dv
We use one. But the price sounds wrong. We paid $60 for the "starter kit" from Costco with the machine itself, 3x 1L bottles, and a 60L canister. Refill canisters are $15 each. I did have to drop $5 for some replacement caps.

It's nice to have refillable bottles and whatnot. Less wasteful. We do dump probably a third of what we make, though - it doesn't keep well if the bottle is less than about half full, so drink what you make - you'll probably get a lot of use out of the 1/2L bottles. For us it's mostly going into mixed drinks.

At $0.25/L you'll save more by not buying seltzer water than you would make back from recycling the bottles.
I drink a lot of water. It won't be wasted. Before i click buy, i'll check Costco, but i haven't seen it here before. I haven't checked, though.
Yori Program
I hope the flavour concentrates taste better these days then when I was a kid. They were vile back then.
They are still pretty meh, especially at the suggested ratio to water. You're better off using your own flavoring then the sodastream concentrates.
DukeofNuke FREE RADICAL
When I was going through my multi-level marketing experiment, I had a similar product. I never sold one. (I did ok with the water filters, tho)
Betonhaus posted:
They are still pretty meh, especially at the suggested ratio to water. You're better off using your own flavoring then the sodastream concentrates.

Oh, i have no ntention of using their flavors. I will use my own.
DukeofNuke posted:
When I was going through my multi-level marketing experiment, I had a similar product. I never sold one. (I did ok with the water filters, tho)

I think this really got off to a rocky start, and people really think it's just to make your own soda. People that don't drink soda would probably disregard it.
I have several friends at work that swear by them.
mmaverick posted:
I have several friends at work that swear by them.

Awesome! Even if i don't know them, that's a pls, especially added to the one person i know and all the reviews.
Oh, and I pushed the button. Can’t wait to get it!
Honestly I think you'll enjoy it. If you like to drink carbonated drinks it is jive.
Lombo Opiofiend
Also the best thing about this is the level of carbonation is at your disposal. I like EXTRA CARBONATED beverage. I like a fizzy drink. More than is available in stores.
C. Ives Lacks Critical stick fiddling Thinking
I've thought about getting one numerous times. Between my wife, my sons and myself we go through a lot of carbonated flavored water. I'm in a similar boat as mmaverick, though. I want to be able to use my kegging CO2 bottles. You used to be able to find adapters online, but from what I've read they didn't really work all that well. I may bite the bullet and get one...I don't know. It's a high upfront investment if it doesn't do what I want it to do. But I've also wasted away a lot more money on stupider things, so . . .
dv
C. Ives posted:
I've thought about getting one numerous times. Between my wife, my sons and myself we go through a lot of carbonated flavored water. I'm in a similar boat as mmaverick, though. I want to be able to use my kegging CO2 bottles. You used to be able to find adapters online, but from what I've read they didn't really work all that well. I may bite the bullet and get one...I don't know. It's a high upfront investment if it doesn't do what I want it to do. But I've also wasted away a lot more money on stupider things, so . . .

If reusing or finding efficiencies w/r/t the CO2 canisters is an issue, you could always refill the canisters with an appropriate weight of dry ice.
I think I paid around there at Costco here in Taiwan. I've been really happy with mine! I was buying a lot of sparking water. I mostly make sodas (peach more often than any other), but I try to use the minimum amount of syrup that will leave me satisfied, so it's much lower sugar than a can of coke.

It is a bit cheaper, and I'm sure it will eventually pay for itself, but I mostly bought it because of how much plastic waste those bottles represented.
mmaverick posted:
I keep thinking about it, I just have a hard time spending so much on refill/replacement of the co2 canisters. If I can figure out a clean way of doing it with my kegging co2 bottles though...

I've been considering going with the company that sells a paintball canister that fits inside, and that's been cleaned carefully, because those refills are supposed to be super cheap. They sell an adaptor that lets you use the paintball canister.

You also can find adaptors that will let you use larger external CO2 tanks. That actually seems more commonly available here in Taiwan.

So far I haven't bothered, as I've only been through 1 CO2 swap anyway. We'll see if I end up going that route. If I moved back to the US I would do so for sure, because I hear getting a paintball CO2 refill is easy all over the place and crazy cheap.
macaddict4life posted:
mmaverick posted:

I've been considering going with the company that sells a paintball canister that fits inside, and that's been cleaned carefully, because those refills are supposed to be super cheap. They sell an adaptor that lets you use the paintball canister.

You also can find adaptors that will let you use larger external CO2 tanks. That actually seems more commonly available here in Taiwan.

So far I haven't bothered, as I've only been through 1 CO2 swap anyway. We'll see if I end up going that route. If I moved back to the US I would do so for sure, because I hear getting a paintball CO2 refill is easy all over the place and crazy cheap.

I would get my co2 from a fire safety company that also brought in food-safe co2. That being said, I only bought food-safe because they brought it in at almost the exact same price as machine-grade. They told me themselves that they trusted machine grade implicitly, it was the same gas, it just hadn’t been tested.
From what I've read, there's not a lot of capacity for CO2 to be contaminated, particularly because not much is cheaper than CO2!
It should be here tomorrow, and for those of you considering it, the better deal was from sodastream.com. I was going to get it at Bed Bath and Beyond because theyve had it for ages and i have a ton of couppns, but between there, Amazon and Sodastream, SS had the best bang for your buck. I'll use my coupons for C02 at BB&B.
It came today. As soon as i clean the bottles, i'll try it out.
I tried it and i liked it, but it'll take a little getting used to. The bubbles, for lack of a better term, are smaller than soda. Fizzier. I'm ok with that. Now i'm trying out different flavors, not from SS. I do not regret my purchase.
Does it depend on how long you let it sit before taking the bottle off the machine? I think if you let the bubbles dissolve in longer its nicer.

But usually what we do is we put a bottle in then push the button until the pressure release valve farts then let it sit for two minutes. Suuper fizzy.
You take the bottle off as soon as you're done. I couldn't actually see the bubbles when it was making them, but they were there.
justine posted:
You take the bottle off as soon as you're done. I couldn't actually see the bubbles when it was making them, but they were there.

More CO2 gets absorbed if you let it sit for a bit first, otherwise most of it escape as soon as you release the pressure.
I'll give that try and see what happens.
ukimalefu want, but shouldn't, may anyway
What did you actually try? details please? just curious, not that I plan to buy one of those things.

What about unusual stuff? coffee? tea? juice? a milkshake? try on everything! :D
Yori Program
I just use this. Can't complain at 17p for 2 litres. :)
If you want bigger bubbles you have to shake it up really hard so the bubbles mix together, and then open it right away.

:shifty:
C. Ives posted:
If you want bigger bubbles you have to shake it up really hard so the bubbles mix together, and then open it right away.

That just makes the one big bubble.
maurvir Steamed meat popsicle
Betonhaus posted:
C. Ives posted:

That just makes the one big bubble.

No, it makes more than one. You just have to look straight down into the bottle to see them... ;)
ukimalefu posted:
What did you actually try? details please? just curious, not that I plan to buy one of those things.

What about unusual stuff? coffee? tea? juice? a milkshake? try on everything! :D

Unless you want to void the warranty, you can only use water in it. The flavors come after. I don't know why because there are no moving parts to speak of, and it isn't powered. Having said that, i've read reviews where people said they put wine in it. Juice has too much sugar, but i am willing to use it as a flavor enhancer. I tried Pom juice. I decided i don't like that stuff. At all.
justine posted:
ukimalefu posted:

Unless you want to void the warranty, you can only use water in it. The flavors come after. I don't know why because there are no moving parts to speak of, and it isn't powered. Having said that, i've read reviews where people said they put wine in it. Juice has too much sugar, but i am willing to use it as a flavor enhancer. I tried Pom juice. I decided i don't like that stuff. At all.

We usually add the flavours before carbonation otherwise the mixing release too much carbonation. As long as you don't overfill the bottle and occasionally rinse out the connection it'll be fine.
Betonhaus posted:
justine posted:
ukimalefu posted:

We usually add the flavours before carbonation otherwise the mixing release too much carbonation. As long as you don't overfill the bottle and occasionally rinse out the connection it'll be fine.

Maybe i'll give t a try, but it really doesn't release that much. Just like unfiltered beer. Gently tip back and forth.
I thought the instructions were to add flavor, put the cap on, and shake it up a bit? Not much lost that way, though take care if you open immediately.
Vulture 420
I bought one for a an elderly diabetic couple that wanted to try to stop drinking soda. They gave up on it and still drink soda.
Okay, I bit the bullet and purchased one.

I like it, although the flavors it came with were....Less than desirable. I'm using MIO drops instead. I learned the hard way this morning why you carbonate the water first. I wasn't thinking and put in the drops, then carbonated it, and when I went to take it off it exploded everywhere. Lesson learned.

I'll keep experimenting with flavors, but overall, I really like it. (And I got the electric one because I'm lazy.)
Did you let it sit for a minute before taking the bottle out? We found the bubbles take s moment to dissolve in otherwise it's like a freshly shaken bottle.
Subsequent topic  /  Preceding topic

I have a Soda Stream in my cart

Page: 1, 2