Canadian nuclear plant alert sent in error

Online now: Bing (sucks), Google [Bot], Jonesy, Pithecanthropus
ukimalefu dysfunctional
https://twitter.com/opg/status/1216345783831879680?s=19

Quote:
Important update: the alert regarding #Pickering Nuclear was sent in error. There is no danger to the public or environment.

ok?

:paranoid:
ukimalefu dysfunctional
TOS
yeah people were freaking out, let me tell you

that plant is old and people worry about it
ukimalefu dysfunctional
Joke question:

If you get a canadian godzilla, will it still destroy the city, but then say sorry? ;)

Serious questions:

Have there been protests/request to close the plant?

Has a nuclear plant anywhere in the world ever been shut down permanently from public pressure?
TOS
canadians? protest? hah!

having grown up in toronto i can assure you we're far more likely to spend years making dark jokes about the biggest city in the country becoming a new pripyat while the government spends billions on refurbishing the creaking facility
maurvir Steamed meat popsicle
Assuming it is anywhere near modern (and by modern, I mean designed in the last 60 years) you should be safe from damn near anything. Three Mile Island, which was the worst nuclear accident in the US, released a small amount of radioactive gas due to overpressure relief. (There was a fear that the hydrogen could ignite and damage the containment) Most people got more dose going to the beach.

These plants are designed to be so fail-safe that the operators are really there to keep it from shutting down when it shouldn't - not the other way around.
Can CANDU style reactors even explode? I thought hey could just flush them with normal water and then they will shut down.
TOS
maurvir posted:
Assuming it is anywhere near modern (and by modern, I mean designed in the last 60 years) you should be safe from damn near anything. Three Mile Island, which was the worst nuclear accident in the US, released a small amount of radioactive gas due to overpressure relief. (There was a fear that the hydrogen could ignite and damage the containment) Most people got more dose going to the beach.

These plants are designed to be so fail-safe that the operators are really there to keep it from shutting down when it shouldn't - not the other way around.

tmi was a damn close call, don't hold it up as an example of things going right
TOS posted:
maurvir posted:

You misunderstand - it was a colossal CF of epic proportion. However, despite suffering a partial meltdown of the core, it did not "blow up the countryside" or irradiate the whole area like Fukishima or Chernobyl.
Donkey Butter jerk face
There have been several moves to close the plant, it's just that no one listens or cares.

Petition to close the plant by 2018
Close the plant in 2014
2016 Nuclear scientist says to shut it down
TOS
i believe the pickering plant is scheduled to close in 2024

meanwhile, sales of iodine have spiked
TOS
maurvir posted:
TOS posted:
maurvir posted:

You misunderstand - it was a colossal CF of epic proportion. However, despite suffering a partial meltdown of the core, it did not "blow up the countryside" or irradiate the whole area like Fukishima or Chernobyl.

tmi experienced major hydrogen release, which is what caused the explosions at chernyobl and fukushima ... it was something of a miracle that it didn't ignite

you're right, it didn't turn into the disaster it might have, but was still something like a 5/7 on the disaster scale
The hydrogen release was done on purpose to avoid an ignition event. There was some concern that the containment might not be able to stand up to that sort of explosion, even though it was designed to do so. However, later analysis showed that an explosion was unlikely in this specific event due to a lack of oxygen: https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/a ... 2483901541

Also, https://www.world-nuclear.org/informati ... ident.aspx
Subsequent topic  /  Preceding topic

Canadian nuclear plant alert sent in error