neil peart, rip

Online now: Google [Bot], maurvir, ukimalefu
TOS
the legendary drummer from rush (and their primary lyricist) has died at 67
juice Inadvertently correct
Séamas Honorary Consul General
Just saw that.

human waste.
One of the favorite bands of mine in my teens.

His lyrics, while often derided as pretentious, were part of what pulled me in.
They were about things that were interesting--space travel, ideas, philosophies, human failings, and yeah, some Ayn Rand objectivist stuff.

But above all he was what brought a very, very good rock band to another place because of his drumming, and he was someone who took it seriously.
He was constantly adding to his style and picking up new influences and new techniques.
A lot of famous rock musicians basically get to a point early on in their career and just flog on, they plateau, etc.
He didn't. I mean he was already lauded as one of the great drummers in rock when he caught wind of Steward Copeland and was inspired and learned all he could from him.
Then later when asked to perform at a Buddy Rich tribute, saw that he had a real, glaring hole in his ability and technique and set out to patch that hole, or a master drummer to be his mentor/teacher -and added a jazz and swing style to his repertoire.

The only other rock musician I can think of who has set forth to improve year after year --to be better at 50 than he was at 20-is Jeff Beck.

And he was actually tremendously modest. His playing might make one think he was on some ego trip, but deep down it was just expression.
Much like his lyrics, he stated it was NOT "pretentious" --he was not pretending anything. He was just doing his best to do his best.

Rush is not everyone's cup of tea, but it is a damned fine tea and not like any other tea in the cabinet.
Rush is and has been one of my favorite bands. I had been hopeful that they would take a couple of years off, decide that retirement wasn't for them, and get back on the road.

I guess that's out. :(
Séamas Honorary Consul General
I thought they might be able to do some one-off shows, but was pretty sure they were not touring again.

They stated that Neil had no ability to do a tour, but I thought they were talking about general arthritis and his perfectionism.
Geddy and Alex likely knew what was going on and have always been REALLY good at guarding Neil's desire for privacy.

I love the movie/documentary Beyond the Lighted Stage--as it really gets to the heart of what that band was about, what the individuals are about, what the fans were about . One of the very best "rock" band documentaries I can think of. I think even die-hard Rush haters would find if pretty cool.
I'll need to watch that again with the benefit of hindsight.
ukimalefu want, but shouldn't, may anyway
Subsequent topic  /  Preceding topic

neil peart, rip