All those damn Teslas

Online now: Bing (sucks), DEyncourt, Google [Bot]
Vulture 420
A few weeks ago I realized that every time I took a walk to go buy groceries I'd see one or two Teslas. Remembering that I had a new phone that actually takes pictures, I started taking pictures of them to see just how many I am spotting. This neighborhood is lousy with them. One time I was in too much of a hurry to stop for a second and take a photo, then forgot to photograph it o the way back, but then realized I was near a driveway that had a Tesla in it.

justine Elitist Beer Lover
They're everywhere here. You can't go anywhere without seeing them.
Malkin kick 'em in the face; taste the body
Same here. I'm kind of surprised about that, considering I live on Hoth. But most of us here are fans of the natural environment.
I've seen maybe three different ones in the city. And the only dealer aside from the mini one in the mall is hidden under the overpass.
arkayn Aaarrrggghhhh
Where I used to live, I only saw them at my local Carl's Jr(Hardee's), and only because there was a Supercharger there because of I-40.
juice Inadvertently correct
I'm far enough away from an interstate that I haven't seen one here.
TOS
there's a reason why they're considered on par with the big three automakers
juice Inadvertently correct
TOS posted:
there's a reason why they're considered on par with the big three automakers

Perhaps in some markets. Not in mine.
Robert B. Dandy Highwayman
I don't understand the aggravation.
Séamas Honorary Consul General
My boss and his wife both own Teslas.
They were longtime Audi owners.
My neighbor across the street owns one.

I see many frequently, though I work about a mile from a Tesla showroom.
dv
A dealership just opened up around the corner from my house.
Vulture 420
I told my parents about 6 years ago that they would be seeing these things everywhere in about 2 years and it's the end of gas powered cars. They didn't believe me. They were right and I was wrong, it took over 5 years.
ukimalefu dysfunctional
I'd love to get a Tesla

My main reason is NOT "saving the planet", even if I do want that, but I love them because I think they're super cool techno-gadgets, and I'm a geek.

They also look good, I think. Ok, maybe not the cybertruck, but I'm sure I would have loved it when I was 14.

Also, I want the model 3, and my main reason for that is because it's the smallest. In my head, smallest means, easier to park, better handling, easier to stop, more efficient, mostly because of less weight/size.

If money wasn't a problem, I'd get the upcoming roadster because it's a sexy beast.
Vulture 420
Saving the planet lol yeah, screw that marketing lie. These are cars that go fast.
ukimalefu dysfunctional
Vulture posted:
Saving the planet lol yeah, screw that marketing lie. These are cars that go fast.

Well, you could charge them with solar panels...

And some time ago, probably in this thread, I posted a link to a video explaining with facts that electrics car ARE cleaner in the long term, no matter where the electricity comes from.

But, again, that's not my main reason to want one.
Metacell Chocolate Brahma
There is a Tesla megafactory in Reno. I do not see them being driven here.

And by "marketing lie", the meaning is that marketing to save the planet is the wrong way to market these cars. "Better, faster," is the way.
Pariah Know Your Enemy
ukimalefu posted:
I'd love to get a Tesla

My main reason is NOT "saving the planet", even if I do want that, but I love them because I think they're super cool techno-gadgets, and I'm a geek.

They also look good, I think. Ok, maybe not the cybertruck, but I'm sure I would have loved it when I was 14.

Also, I want the model 3, and my main reason for that is because it's the smallest. In my head, smallest means, easier to park, better handling, easier to stop, more efficient, mostly because of less weight/size.

If money wasn't a problem, I'd get the upcoming roadster because it's a sexy beast.

I think Tesla cars look like they averaged out the typical sedan styling of many brands and came up with something that is nice an unoffensive. They look OK in the same way Camry look OK.
But that is not me being critical. Up till Tesla, electric cars always looked ridiculous with styling that was desperately declaring "I am an alt vehicle".
Tesla decided to make a sedan that was, well, a sedan that happens to be electric. Smart move.

That stick fiddling truck on the otherhand...what a cluster fiddlesticks of bad design. I seriously expected better.
Pariah posted:

That stick fiddling truck on the otherhand...what a cluster fiddlesticks of bad design. I seriously expected better.

I wonder if it comes with broken windows!
justine posted:
Pariah posted:

I wonder if it comes with broken windows!

They're supposed to be shatterproof. So try not to get into an accident that jams the doors.

...come to think about it, the front windshield looks very flat. I thought they needed to have a bit of curve to get the one-way impact resistance?
Betonhaus: they just unveiled the Tesla truck and it had shattered windows.

As far as the sedans? Huge security flaw in the little window. You can break it and it won't trigger the alarm, and then you can open the door.
justine posted:
Betonhaus: they just unveiled the Tesla truck and it had shattered windows.

As far as the sedans? Huge security flaw in the little window. You can break it and it won't trigger the alarm, and then you can open the door.

yeah, they broke them in the live testing, claim they will fix it in the production version.

yeah i suppose car break-ins do happen, i haven't seen one but many people I know have had one in the past.
DukeofNuke FREE RADICAL
That window demo was not as big a fail as it looks like. After all, the steel ball did not penetrate into the passenger compartment.

There are two in town that I have seen. A sedan in the Doctors parking area at work, and a SUV that I saw at the grocery store yesterday.
There are no public charging stations around here, so I guess going to work and running errands is about the limit. You could make it to Lexington on a charge but you would have to know where a charging station is when you got there; I've never seen a public charging station there, either.
That window test hurt stock significantly from what i heard, but he also got around 150k orders. I think it's ugly AF.
maurvir Steamed meat popsicle
Yeah, it's ugly, but it does look like "the future", so it has that going for it...
C. Ives Lacks Critical stick fiddling Thinking
Lombo Opiofiend
ukimalefu dysfunctional
5 man acoustical jam is the only thing I ever had from them, and I still love it

a non electric live album, from a rock band called tesla
Lombo Opiofiend
Uki, you’re right. Not enough makeup to qualify.
C. Ives posted:

:love:
Subsequent topic  /  Preceding topic

All those damn Teslas