Burger King sued after inadvertently serving meat to vegan

Page: 1, 2
Online now: DEyncourt, Google [Bot], maurvir
maurvir Steamed meat popsicle
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-rstr ... SKBN1XS2FP

Quote:
In a proposed class action, Phillip Williams said he bought an Impossible Whopper, a plant-based alternative to Burger King’s regular Whopper, at an Atlanta drive-through, and would not have paid a premium price had he known the cooking would leave it “coated in meat by-products.”

The lawsuit filed in Miami federal court seeks damages for all U.S. purchasers of the Impossible Whopper, and an injunction requiring Burger King to “plainly disclose” that Impossible Whoppers and regular burgers are cooked on the same grills.

Burger King, a unit of Toronto-based Restaurant Brands International Inc (QSR.TO), declined to comment, saying it does not discuss pending litigation.

Its website describes the Impossible Burger as “100% Whopper, 0% Beef,” and adds that “for guests looking for a meat-free option, a non-broiler method of preparation is available upon request.”

Apparently this moron forgot to specify the alternate method and is now ticked that his "meatless burger" contained actual grease.
juice Inadvertently correct
I'm not sure this is "inadvertently serving meat."
Could be tell because it tasted slightly less wasteful? Or was he a druid or something and the ghost of the cow came to him screaming bloody murder?
Vulture 420
Some vegans truly are insufferable.
Vulture posted:
Some Vegans truly are insufferable.

FTFY
dv
Betonhaus posted:
Could be tell because it tasted slightly less wasteful? Or was he a druid or something and the ghost of the cow came to him screaming bloody murder?

If you actually go into the restaurant, you often have a clear line of sight to the grill and can see them make your food. So it wouldn't be unreasonable to assume he saw them use the same grill/utensils to make his burger that they used on a beef patty.

Also, he's probably just looking for a payday.
C. Ives Lacks Critical stick fiddling Thinking
maurvir posted:
Vulture posted:

FTFY

Nah, I have two good friends who are vegan, and both of them are great about it. They don't give a crap what other people eat, and they take it in stride when I mock them mercilessly.
C. Ives posted:
maurvir posted:
Vulture posted:

FTFY

Nah, I have two good friends who are vegan, and both of them are great about it. They don't give a crap what other people eat, and they take it in stride when I mock them mercilessly.

Pariah Know Your Enemy
Saying something is meat free does not imply it is vegan compliant anymore than saying something does not have pork in it does not mean it is Kosher or Halal.
obvs My password is "contraseña"
maurvir posted:
Apparently this moron forgot to specify the alternate method and is now ticked that his "meatless burger" contained actual grease.
I have to disagree.

If something is so obviously intended for people who are vegans, it's not being a moron to expect that it actually would be.
TOS
"your honor, i just want to make sure the court is aware that i'm vegan"
Pariah Know Your Enemy
obvs posted:
maurvir posted:
I have to disagree.

If something is so obviously intended for people who are vegans, it's not being a moron to expect that it actually would be.

People with excentric food requirements need to do their own due diligence when eating at a burger joint.
Not to mention that if they have to use a clean grill specifically for the vegan burgers all the time they would have to raise the price high enough that most people won't buy it, making the vegan burger not worth it.
obvs posted:
maurvir posted:
I have to disagree.

The burgers are marketed as meatless, not vegan. Even so, Burger King provides an alternate prep method that makes them properly vegan. This clown failed to note this and didn't include the instruction in his order, resulting in it being prepared alongside real meat patties.

Even with all of that, the man wasn't allergic to meat proteins (since he didn't get sick or die), and unless he was raised in a vegan household, he had probably consumed meat protein before. So he didn't even lose his "meat protein virginity".

Thus, he's still a moron and this is still a pointless, frivolous lawsuit.
Vulture 420
Seriously why would a vegan eat at a Burger King. It's like the idiot award.
maurvir posted:
obvs posted:
maurvir posted:
I have to disagree.

The burgers are marketed as meatless, not vegan. Even so, Burger King provides an alternate prep method that makes them properly vegan. This clown failed to note this and didn't include the instruction in his order, resulting in it being prepared alongside real meat patties.

Even with all of that, the man wasn't allergic to meat proteins (since he didn't get sick or die), and unless he was raised in a vegan household, he had probably consumed meat protein before. So he didn't even lose his "meat protein virginity".

In my mind, "meatless" includes all components of meat, including anything that may have dripped out of meat.

I think it's really interesting that a bunch of people who have no history of being vegetarian or vegan believe that they get to define them. Obviously, when you market something as meatless, it's going to be understood as meatless. If it's not actually meatless, then you don't get to market it that way.

It's pretty clear that Burger King was attempting to mislead vegetarians into eating their product.
I just figure that if you are going to adhere to a unique diet based on an uncommon perspective on morality, the least you should be doing is making sure your food options actually are completely vegan. Depending on advertising without reading small print means you're just lazy virtue-signalling. If you had a peanut allergy that could kill you then you will be a lot more diligent on ensuring your food choices are safe.
Vulture 420
Being vegan is very trendy now more than ever, so that's why Burger King sells these things. Vegans who aren't mentally inept don't go to Burger King expecting vegan meals. I was equally offended as a meat eater the last time I ate a McDonald's burger but simply chose to never eat there again. They say they are burgers, they say they are good and delicious, but that was not my experience.
obvs posted:
maurvir posted:
obvs posted:
maurvir posted:
I have to disagree.

In my mind, "meatless" includes all components of meat, including anything that may have dripped out of meat.

I think it's really interesting that a bunch of people who have no history of being vegetarian or vegan believe that they get to define them. Obviously, when you market something as meatless, it's going to be understood as meatless. If it's not actually meatless, then you don't get to market it that way.

It's pretty clear that Burger King was attempting to mislead vegetarians into eating their product.

I'm not defining vegans or vegetarians. I'm simply noting that this particular individual is either an idiot or a grifter.
dv
Betonhaus posted:
I just figure that if you are going to adhere to a unique diet based on an uncommon perspective on morality, the least you should be doing is making sure your food options actually are completely vegan. Depending on advertising without reading small print means you're just lazy virtue-signalling. If you had a peanut allergy that could kill you then you will be a lot more diligent on ensuring your food choices are safe.

That's not what virtue signalling means. Stop watching PragerU videos.
Séamas Honorary Consul General
I prefer when people call the police when they get a wrong fast food order, or if the place ran out of items.
mmaverick my steady systematic decline
obvs posted:
maurvir posted:
obvs posted:
maurvir posted:
I have to disagree.

How so? The patty IS meatless and they have two ways of preparing it. One way will keep it vegetarian, the other will not. It’s been noted in almost every article I’ve seen about almost every fast food place.
In my mind, as someone who was vegetarian for a decade, it seems really clear that anything that comes from meat, regardless of the texture, would be classified as a meat product, or "meat".

You can't classify something as "not meat" if it comes from meat and doesn't look like meat. That's trying to argue based on a technicality, and people understand exactly why people are ordering meatless foods.

It's disingenuous to say that a clear vast majority of people who are ordering meatless burgers are doing so because they want and expect it to not contain products that came from a dead animal, instead of merely for the novelty of not eating a hamburger.
mmaverick my steady systematic decline
obvs posted:
In my mind, as someone who was vegetarian for a decade, it seems really clear that anything that comes from meat, regardless of the texture, would be classified as a meat product, or "meat".

You can't classify something as "not meat" if it comes from meat and doesn't look like meat. That's trying to argue based on a technicality, and people understand exactly why people are ordering meatless foods.

It's disingenuous to say that a clear vast majority of people who are ordering meatless burgers are doing so because they want and expect it to not contain products that came from a dead animal, instead of merely for the novelty of not eating a hamburger.

Then don’t get it grilled. Many vegetarians aren’t that picky, and are willing to use the same grill during a bbq. Some are not. Some people are getting it and aren’t vegetarians because they want to limit their meat intake.
mmaverick posted:
obvs posted:

Then don’t get it grilled. Many vegetarians aren’t that picky, and are willing to use the same grill during a bbq. Some are not. Some people are getting it and aren’t vegetarians because they want to limit their meat intake.

Yup. There's a reason vegetarian and vegan are different things.
But, obvs, do you REALLY want to make it the responsibility of every fast-food chain employee to understand YOUR subtle differences? You basically accused Burger King of deliberately serving a non-vegan-compliant Impossible Whopper to that man in the original story, but how could ANYONE tell he was a vegan?

Face it: if a given customer has ANY peculiarities in diet then it is up to THAT customer to be fully cognizant of the range of options and to make his selection of options known at the placement of the order. Otherwise you are asking for this nightmare future:

Drive-through Customer: Hi! Let me have an Impossible Whopper....

Drive-through Attendant: I'm sorry but I have to state this because the recent lawsuit against Burger King requires this: "The Impossible Whopper is cooked through our regular grill. If the consumer for this is a vegan then we can prepare it by using our vegan-only grill or by microwaving the Impossible Burger patty. If you understand this and wish your Impossible Whopper in a vegan manner, then which method of preparation should we use?"

C: Oh, I am not a vegan so just use the regular grill. I'd also like a small order of fries....

A: Again, my apologies, but that ruling also requires me to say: "Our french fries are fried in peanut oil*. If the consumer for these fries has a peanut allergy, then we can prepare your order in another fryer without peanut oil. Do you understand this?"

C: Uh, just the regular fryer, I guess. And a brownie.

A: Sorry, but I am required to say: "Our brownies contain walnuts and sugar. If...."

*Not at all true. Most restaurants use only vegetable oil for all frying but I have exaggerated here.
Vulture 420
It always takes one to spoil it for the many, if that even applies here (maybe nothing to spoil in this case). Burger King is a weird place to be catering to vegans, but it shows you what kind of whores for money they are by being a fast food chain. It may serve them better to deliberately exclude vegans from their possible clients.
jkahless Custom Title
obvs posted:

Meat /= rendered fat.

There are so many different degrees of vegetarians and vegans that the standard is very simple. If you any have special requirements, speak up. Cooks don't read minds, they barely have them to begin with. Vegetarian covers everything from the people who just want to save the planet, to the wackjobs who go on about not wanting to eat flesh and souls, and who has time to find out?
DEyncourt posted:
But, obvs, do you REALLY want to make it the responsibility of every fast-food chain employee to understand YOUR subtle differences? You basically accused Burger King of deliberately serving a non-vegan-compliant Impossible Whopper to that man in the original story, but how could ANYONE tell he was a vegan?
Vegetarian is not a flexible word, sorry.

Vegetarians and vegetarians don't eat at Burger King.

Burger King knows explicitly that if they advertise food as being meatless then it will attract people who choose to not eat meat because of ethics.

How you train your employees is none of my concern. The fact that you're advertising the food as meatless when it's not is my concern.
jkahless posted:
obvs posted:

Meat /= rendered fat.

There are so many different degrees of vegetarians and vegans that the standard is very simple. If you any have special requirements, speak up. Cooks don't read minds, they barely have them to begin with. Vegetarian covers everything from the people who just want to save the planet, to the wackjobs who go on about not wanting to eat flesh and souls, and who has time to find out?
This isn't about the cook.

This is about the corporation.

If the item you're advertising is not meatless then don't advertise it that way.

The popularity of these meatless options is because of the increased focus on ethics in food and in reducing the killing of animals. If you're selling food which contains something that came from the guts of a slaughtered animal and if you're not disclosing that, then yes, that's fraudulent.

Make it meatless or don't advertise it as meatless.
macnuke Afar
buying a "vegan" burger at burger king is like ordering a lettuce only salad at a butcher shop. unrealistic.

meat is going to happen. it's not a surgical unit.. it's not a "clean room"
meat will happen because those places cannot keep that human waste separate.
if you're a veg.....don't be just smart.... be stick fiddling realistic.
you walk into burger king, you are walking on the wild side.
plan on meat.
it's going to happen.
jkahless Custom Title
It doesn't contain meat products. It comes in contact with rendered beef and pork fat on the grill. Speaking as a former line cook who has flipped thousands of burgers, hundreds of veggie burgers, only a small proportion of vegetarians really care if there's that little cross contamination. Vegans always do, but not most vegetarians.
Vegans are to vegetarians what fundamentalists are to ordinary religious people. In fact, I would go so far as to say that vegans are fundamentalist vegetarians.
obvs posted:

*cough* fish *cough"
dv
Betonhaus posted:
obvs posted:

*cough* fish *cough"

Pescatarians.

Just because you don't know the right word to describe something doesn't create additional definitions for the words you do know.
dv posted:
Betonhaus posted:
obvs posted:

*cough* fish *cough"

Pescatarians.

Just because you don't know the right word to describe something doesn't create additional definitions for the words you do know.

Tell that to the Pescatarians. Most of them just call themselves vegetarian.

...This discussion is starting to sound like a culture clash, with a few members being in hyper-liberal communities that spend so much time obsessing over this human waste that they have everything nailed down into neat little categories with fancy names... and other members being in the rest of the world.

Also burger king has a Pulled Pork burger right now and it's delicious.
juice Inadvertently correct
Betonhaus posted:
dv posted:
Betonhaus posted:
obvs posted:

*cough* fish *cough"

Pescatarians.

...This discussion is starting to sound like a culture clash, with a few members being in hyper-liberal communities that spend so much time obsessing over this human waste that they have everything nailed down into neat little categories with fancy names... and other members being in the rest of the world.

Also burger king has a Pulled Pork burger right now and it's delicious.

I love it when people claim that their experiences are the only ones that are authentic.

In other words, go fiddlesticks yourself.
How about we all eat what we like, don't eat what we don't like, and leave everyone else to do the same? Oh, and if what we don't like is unimaginably commonplace, mention that sooner?
dv
Betonhaus posted:
dv posted:
Betonhaus posted:
obvs posted:

*cough* fish *cough"

Pescatarians.

Probably because of the blank stares they get when they use the proper term.
Subsequent topic  /  Preceding topic

Burger King sued after inadvertently serving meat to vegan

Page: 1, 2