"I Accidentally Uncovered a Nationwide Scam on Airbnb"

Online now: Google [Bot], Lombo, Metacell
Source.

I know that there are millions of happy Airbnb users and hosts. And I have stayed at crappy hotels/motels that were scarcely worth even their low fees (though fortunately for me none that were so bad that I wound up with bedbug bites or lice).

But let's just say that after reading this story I am not at all encouraged even to experiment with Airbnb..
maurvir Steamed meat popsicle
This is a perfect example of why regulation is necessary.
justine Elitist Beer Lover
One of my friends and her family rented an AirBnB in Socal a few months ago. While the family was out, she was in the apartment and there was a knock. She wasn't expecting anyone, so she didn't answer. Then there was a key in the door and a maint man walked in, unannounced. It could've ended badly if she were sleeping or in the shower. Anyway, he said he was there to check on a problem and left. I know what he was there for. Management sent him to see who was there. As it turns out, the apartment tenant on record was subletting his place on AirBnB, against the provisions in his lease. Later the next day when she stayed behind with her infant grandchild while everyone went to the happiest place on earth, there was another knock. She opened it this time and it was management asking her if she sublet the place, and she explained they rented it on AirBnb. Management then handed her some papers and asked her to give the 3 day notice to the tenant.

They were lucky. It was at the end of their stay, but i urged her to contact AirBnB because someone else was about to get screwed over.
justine posted:
One of my friends and her family rented an AirBnB in Socal a few months ago. While the family was out, she was in the apartment and there was a knock. She wasn't expecting anyone, so she didn't answer. Then there was a key in the door and a maint man walked in, unannounced. It could've ended badly if she were sleeping or in the shower. Anyway, he said he was there to check on a problem and left. I know what he was there for. Management sent him to see who was there. As it turns out, the apartment tenant on record was subletting his place on AirBnB, against the provisions in his lease. Later the next day when she stayed behind with her infant grandchild while everyone went to the happiest place on earth, there was another knock. She opened it this time and it was management asking her if she sublet the place, and she explained they rented it on AirBnb. Management then handed her some papers and asked her to give the 3 day notice to the tenant.

They were lucky. It was at the end of their stay, but i urged her to contact AirBnB because someone else was about to get screwed over.

Most likely Airbnb would have just shrugged, telling your friend that the person she had gotten that particular Airbnb rental had violated Airbnb rules. I have not nor do I intend ever to read them, but I'm sure that there is a provision that anyone offering a unit as an Airbnb rental must be the owner or have permission from the owner to sublet.
I've used Uber because I had no alternatives where I at least vaguely knew how much they would cost, but I don't believe I will feel comfortable participating in the gig economy in any other way.
Metacell Chocolate Brahma
I think both Uber and AirBnB are the sketchiest scams around and I will never use them. I will sooner return to hitchhiking and sleeping under a bridge.
Robert B. Dandy Highwayman
justine posted:
... it was management asking her if she sublet the place, and she explained they rented it on AirBnb. Management then handed her some papers and asked her to give the 3 day notice to the tenant.

That doesn't even seem legally sound. It's not her job to notify the sublettor or to ensure that notice is served. Management is acting stupidly if that is how they left it.
DukeofNuke FREE RADICAL
I've used an Air B&B type service a couple of times. Never had a problem.
juice Inadvertently correct
DukeofNuke posted:
I've used an Air B&B type service a couple of times. Never had a problem.

This
justine Elitist Beer Lover
Robert: i think all they legally have to do is post it to the door, and i think they just wanted to make sure the notice ended up on the counter or something. I don't know those details.

This is the only scam ive heard of, and it really wasn't a scam. The tenant was just violating their agreement by listing it on AirBnB.

There was a recent posting on NextDoor here about a house that was listed, and constantly has large groups/parties renting. Cops there all the time. I don't think the owners are very discriminate considering the neighborhood, and the neighbors are complaining up a storm about it. Again, not a scam but a real good reson for some sort of regulation.
maurvir Steamed meat popsicle
I can't help but feel like the whole thing is a scam, because individual homeowners don't have the same safety regulations as hotels or actual bed and breakfast places. This sort of thing needs to be regulated as though they were a form of hotel.
justine posted:
[snip]
There was a recent posting on NextDoor here about a house that was listed, and constantly has large groups/parties renting. Cops there all the time. I don't think the owners are very discriminate considering the neighborhood, and the neighbors are complaining up a storm about it. Again, not a scam but a real good reson for some sort of regulation.

Coincidentally 'Airbnb Said It’s Banning "Party Houses" After The Halloween Party Shooting That Killed Five People':
Quote:
When asked how exactly it will determine which listings are "party houses" (or be potentially used for parties), an Airbnb representative told BuzzFeed News they're still in the process of figuring out these variables.

Subsequent topic  /  Preceding topic

"I Accidentally Uncovered a Nationwide Scam on Airbnb"