Car maps.

Online now: Betonhaus, Google [Bot], Jonesy, juice, maurvir, Pithecanthropus
So I was curious about updating my car maps. I have no idea how old the ones I have now are, but Ford is willing to sell me new maps for $110 but won't tell me how recent the new ones are, and they may still be several years out of date I just don't know they are rgusong to tell me what the version number is for the new ones, and I don't know when the version number I have now came out. For all I know I could be paying for 6 months worth of updates or 6 years. . :goth:
justine Elitist Beer Lover
This is one of the reasons i didn't want the nav system in my car. On top of the $2000+ cost, you have to pay for updates, and it's expensive. Having Carplay and Waze displayed on that screen is so much better. Someone on here (Seamas?) posted years ago how much it was going to cost to update the maps in their Acura, and it was ridiculously expensive, even back then.
maurvir Steamed meat popsicle
It's a bit absurd for car makers to keep doing this when both Apple and Google maps are so vastly superior. As long as you plan your route, you can even download offline copies of the maps, resolving the "always connected" issue.
My dad's Mercedes cost over $300 to be updated so it could be worse. Lincoln cars get lifetime updates so it could be better. The problem Is I don't know if it's worth it because Ford won't tell me. I can't tell if say my car maps harken from before 2016 and can be updated to 2019 maps, or if the latest update is from 2017 and the maps I have are only one year older, I just don't know and I've been trying to make sense of the version codes but Ford doesn't provide a version history with dates.
ukimalefu dysfunctional
google it?

literally google "should I update my ford's maps?", no quotes
dv
maurvir posted:
It's a bit absurd for car makers to keep doing this when both Apple and Google maps are so vastly superior. As long as you plan your route, you can even download offline copies of the maps, resolving the "always connected" issue.

They'll fiddlesticks that chicken as long as they can. It's free money.
I try to use Android auto but the slightest bump and the connection to my phone is lost. I've tried cleaning the connectors and switching cables but no dice. Googling instructions just gives me European instructions which use a f7 f9 number system
TOS
i'd much rather just use my phone, there's zero point in a fancy nav system

i feel like it's meant for old folks and chumps
justine Elitist Beer Lover
Waze is the best.
arkayn Aaarrrggghhhh
I always just use Google Maps, which now even has accident and speed trap reporting.
DukeofNuke FREE RADICAL
Lombo Opiofiend
Don’t want to bug you but you should change your mindset. If I recall you filed bankruptcy. Stick to your phone for navigation. Save the dough. And fiddlesticks Ford.
macnuke Afar
Lombo posted:
Don’t want to bug you but you should change your mindset. If I recall you filed bankruptcy. Stick to your phone for navigation. Save the dough. And fiddlesticks Ford.

this

this

and this
gd Hero of Twilight
You don’t know outdated until you check out the maps on my car. Latest update was in 2009, yet somehow they were still using a 1998 database.
Lombo Opiofiend
Buy a suction mount and stick your phone to your windshield if android auto or your phone sucks. Should cost you WAY LESS. (Only if you are concerned about the safety aspect of driving and looking at phone)
sean Royal Wombat
I just use my phone. No worries about paying for updates, and has the added benefit of live traffic & road closure data.

Also, you will eventually run into the situation I'm in with my Mercedes; They don't make make updates for it anymore. In fact, they haven't in years.
Yeah, the map update for our Prius was quoted around $160 the first time I checked into it. The price has gone down but not by much in following years. We laughed at that. It got 'updated' just one time, when the central computer got fried after a collision.
macnuke Afar
let's be real also.... the old roads are still there.
and they ain't making that many new ones.
maurvir Steamed meat popsicle
macnuke posted:

Maybe not where you are, but where I live, maps need at least a quarterly update. At least it feels that way at times.
macnuke posted:

Well, you could get a surprise if a street gets converted to one-way
macnuke Afar
Kirk posted:
macnuke posted:

Well, you could get a surprise if a street gets converted to one-way

all sojourns are an adventure.
Pariah Know Your Enemy
I recently used a Garmen and found the experience to be much worse than Google Maps. The main issue was the Garmen was slow and lat with directions, often giving turn orders almost to late to follow them.
The Garmen did not give the useful lane advice and well ahead alerts about upcoming turns. Google might be a bit too repetitive but that is much better than a GPS that says too little.
I have used Apple's Maps on my iPhone 7. I have had only one problem: the freeway onramp which the Maps' voice was directing me to was gone. Instead of my taking a left-hand turn to use that (even that left-hand turn lane had been removed), I had to hunt a bit to find the new onramp which was located around the corner still ahead of me.

BUT the next time I traveled that same route about 6 weeks later, Apple Maps had been corrected.
obvs My password is "contraseña"
I bought a Garmin about five years ago, and they're actually pretty good. They also come with free lifetime updates, and they're really good as a backup for your phone.

But I have a CD-player-mounted magnetic mount that my phone can sit on, and a bluetooth-aux adapter that my phone connects to to play my phone's audio through my car speakers, and those two things paired with Google's turn-by-turn tend to be better for most things.
macnuke Afar
i usually look at a map ... have the directions in my head or some notes.... then go.

no display to distract me from wrong turns.
dv
I just kinda know where I'm going.
arkayn Aaarrrggghhhh
dv posted:
I just kinda know where I'm going.

Where I previously lived, I did as well.

Now I am down in the Houston area!!
CarPlay is incredible. Our Kicks has it. iOS 13 made it even nicer.
In other news Ford Sync version 4 will start coming out next year and will update maps automatically over LTE (and presumably wifi) so there's that. But I'll likely have my little hot hatch for the foreseeable future. Or something shittier if I don't.
Subsequent topic  /  Preceding topic

Car maps.