Turkey day

Online now: Bing (sucks), DEyncourt, Google [Bot], juice, Majestic-12 [Bot], maurvir, Metacell, Pithecanthropus
Went up to see my sisters. They're having a proper one next week when their dad comes down so we just had ham and hassleback potatoes, still was nice to visit them and everything.
juice Inadvertently correct
?

November 28
dv
juice posted:
?

November 28

Canada.

Shorter summers = earlier harvest festivals.
dv posted:
juice posted:
?

November 28

Canada.

Shorter summers = earlier harvest festivals.

That reason makes sense. I wondered why the different date; I always just assumed it was Canada being Canada.

But thanks for ruining my ugly American joke with facts. ;)
TOS
it is thanksgiving, at least in civilized places

me, i took the boy for a fall walk, it was beautiful

I gained over 10lbs this weekend, hopefully I get back down quickly.
TOS
i await idaemon's wisdom regarding canadian thanksgiving
Lombo Opiofiend
It’s a separatist conspiracy. The date was set by Papineau.
ukimalefu dysfunctional
Lombo posted:
It’s a separatist conspiracy. The date was set by Papineau.

Lombo Opiofiend
Trump should be pardoned by a turkey this year instead of the opposite. :lol:
Séamas Honorary Consul General
TOS posted:

Looking up Thanksgiving history/traditions in USA and Canada, I see that taking walks is a popular Thanksgiving pastime in Canada. Is the food prep done the day before? Or is the walk =just for the people not cooking?

Our family does it on Black Friday. Much better option than shopping. We do the same on Christmas day. We pick out the hike location based on the weather conditions. If there is wet grounds or snow, etc, we'll go for a more flat terrain.
I especially like dining on leftovers afterwards.

Seems the same foods are enjoyed.
We have certain restrictions on the Thanksgiving meal we put on due to my in-laws (Kosher). Personally I would favor more shellfish and proper mashed potatoes (dairy a must).
justine Elitist Beer Lover
I still want to attempt to make hasselback potatoes, but Thanksgiving isn't when i would want them. Not sure what i'm doing yet.
DukeofNuke FREE RADICAL
Last year, I tried to bake a ham in a crock pot.

That will never happen again ...
Malkin kick 'em in the face; taste the body
For xmas my friend and I made a tukrducken. I can't wait to make another, and Thanksgiving is probably the first good excuse. I think we'll probably skip the chicken this time though and just stick to the turkey and duck.
DukeofNuke posted:

I can't believe you tried that!
mmaverick my steady systematic decline
Séamas posted:
TOS posted:

Looking up Thanksgiving history/traditions in USA and Canada, I see that taking walks is a popular Thanksgiving pastime in Canada. Is the food prep done the day before? Or is the walk =just for the people not cooking?

Our family does it on Black Friday. Much better option than shopping. We do the same on Christmas day. We pick out the hike location based on the weather conditions. If there is wet grounds or snow, etc, we'll go for a more flat terrain.

We have certain restrictions on the Thanksgiving meal we put on due to my in-laws (Kosher). Personally I would favor more shellfish and proper mashed potatoes (dairy a must).

It’s funny, I didn’t realize this was a common thing, but we do it too. We had an early”ish” dinner and then went for a walk afterwards.
justine posted:
DukeofNuke posted:

I can't believe you tried that!

My sister did that. Aside from the fact that it had the consistency of pulled pork it was delicious.
dv
mmaverick posted:
Séamas posted:
TOS posted:

It’s funny, I didn’t realize this was a common thing, but we do it too. We had an early”ish” dinner and then went for a walk afterwards.

Doesn't everybody? Gets the juices flowing after eating a bit too much.
So does falling asleep while watching football
If it had the consistency of pulled pork, then it was pulled pork.
justine posted:
If it had the consistency of pulled pork, then it was pulled pork.

Not if you're careful when you cut it and serve it.

And pulled pork here is spicy while ham is pineapple sweet.
Both can be however you want them to taste. Ham should be bone in on a platter to be sliced. Not in a crock pot.
justine posted:
Both can be however you want them to taste. Ham should be bone in on a platter to be sliced. Not in a crock pot.

Well you can't cook meat on a platter and the oven was occupied. It still tasted good, even if we didn't make the pineapple gravy for the potatoes.
I didn't say you cook it on a platter. Or that was implied. Trust me. I can do few things well. Cooking a ham is something i do very very well.
DukeofNuke FREE RADICAL
justine posted:
I didn't say you cook it on a platter. Or that was implied. Trust me. I can do few things well. Cooking a ham is something i do very very well.

OK, you opened that door ...

How do you cook a ham, justine?
It's really quite simple. Bone in. Prep is covering it with whole cloves spaced about 1/2" apart. Mix a baste of water, brown sugar and ground cloves, (about a cereal bowl full) and baste before putting in the oven. Cook it at 350 in about 3 or 4" of water. Baste again after about 45 minutes or an hour and repeat til done, about 3 hours. After your baste is all gone, use the water in the pan. You will probably have to add water at least once.
Subsequent topic  /  Preceding topic

Turkey day