Coffee

Page: 1, 2, 3, 4
Online now: Betonhaus, DEyncourt, Google [Bot], Majestic-12 [Bot], Pariah
Séamas Honorary Consul General
Pariah posted:
Folgers is a solid coffee and quite reasonably priced. Nothing fancy, just a decent cup of Joe.

https://www.nbc.com/saturday-night-live ... tals/n9212
mmaverick my steady systematic decline
I was really hoping it was going to be that video.
Donkey Butter jerk face
a double shot of Bailey's in your coffee will make any coffee taste good. so buy whatever is on sale and then head over to the bottle shop for your Irish Cream.
Malkin posted:
Tea is difficult and often expensive to find in the US.

And Americans don’t know how to make hot tea. Every time I have ordered it in the US, I get a mug of warm water with a tea bag in it.

Hot tea requires fresh, cold water brought to a boil, then added to a tea pot with the tea bag or diffuser in it. Steep for 5 minutes, remove bag, pour, and enjoy.

These steps are not optional unless you are a stick fiddling heathen with less than a minuscule amount of sense.
Vulture 420
Pithecanthropus posted:
Vulture posted:
Pithecanthropus posted:
Vulture posted:
When other people rave about how "their" coffee tastes the best, it doesn't mean anything. Coffee is pretty much the same price across the board wherever you buy it...

I can't disagree more. In fact, I'll go as far as to say you don't know what you're talking about.

I knew you would think that and was actually waiting for your exact response as I wrote that. It also doesn't matter if you think I don't know what I'm talking about, because you probably don't know what I'm talking about.

You go to any supermarket and every bag of coffee costs about $11-13. Outside of the supermarket you can get all elitist about your coffee and pay as much as you'd like for whatever you want to be happy.

You bandy about the term "French roast" likes it's the same thing everywhere. It's not. French roast is a color, not a universal constant bean. Each bean has it's own distinct flavor, and that translates to a different French roast. I absolutely guarantee you that a French roast Guatemalan will taste wildly different from a French roast Tanzanian.

If all you're saying is, "you can get generic tasting beans just about anywhere," then you are 100% correct. And if that's all you want out of coffee, then that's all you're going to get.

I am actually bandying about the term "French roast" like it's only very specifically the one I liked from Starbucks because it is exactly their roast that I prefer, and I don't give a damn what beans they purport to be using (when I examine the Starbucks beans that you get in any roast for $13 a pound, the quality of the beans is absolute human waste but the roast is unique, consistent, and delivers the same tasting cup of coffee every time). If you read it as I said it's the same everywhere, I have no idea what to say about your reading comprehension and biased inferences, but it's not that complex nor obscured in suggestibility.

I'm also not saying "you can get generic tasting beans just about anywhere" because I didn't say that. I said the coffee that you do buy easily and readily available is all similarly priced and it doesn't matter which one you choose or prefer, just get whatever the hell floats your boat. What most people don't want to do is pay more for coffee when they don't have to. Granted, my opinion doesn't matter much since I only spend about $160 a year on coffee and drink it every day, but I like what I like the same way each person likes what they like regardless of whether they know what goes into making coffee beans ready for consumption.
Vulture 420
jkahless posted:
Vulture posted:
Pithecanthropus posted:
Vulture posted:
When other people rave about how "their" coffee tastes the best, it doesn't mean anything. Coffee is pretty much the same price across the board wherever you buy it...

I can't disagree more. In fact, I'll go as far as to say you don't know what you're talking about.

I knew you would think that and was actually waiting for your exact response as I wrote that. It also doesn't matter if you think I don't know what I'm talking about, because you probably don't know what I'm talking about.

You go to any supermarket and every bag of coffee costs about $11-13. Outside of the supermarket you can get all elitist about your coffee and pay as much as you'd like for whatever you want to be happy.

Bags of coffee at the supermarket here cost anything from about $8-$20. Do you shop in the same supermarket where you can buy your ammo and armoured back to school napsacks?
I'm talking about coffee at average supermarkets, 12-16 ounces. I don't know where your "here" is or what "bags" specifically you refer to, but I'm sure I can find a big $20 bag of Eight O'Clock Coffee.
ukimalefu Rebel? resistance? why not both?
Posted here because of wibbly wobbly timey wimey fits the topic kind of thing :p

Would buy that if it made the noise when you used it.

And I also want those cookies.
I percolate a pot from whatever bag the staff has decided to try. Lately they have chosen a Nabob brand.
Pithecanthropus Roast Master
Vulture posted:
Pithecanthropus posted:
Vulture posted:
Pithecanthropus posted:
Vulture posted:

You bandy about the term "French roast" likes it's the same thing everywhere. It's not. French roast is a color, not a universal constant bean. Each bean has it's own distinct flavor, and that translates to a different French roast. I absolutely guarantee you that a French roast Guatemalan will taste wildly different from a French roast Tanzanian.

If all you're saying is, "you can get generic tasting beans just about anywhere," then you are 100% correct. And if that's all you want out of coffee, then that's all you're going to get.

I am actually bandying about the term "French roast" like it's only very specifically the one I liked from Starbucks because it is exactly their roast that I prefer, and I don't give a damn what beans they purport to be using (when I examine the Starbucks beans that you get in any roast for $13 a pound, the quality of the beans is absolute human waste but the roast is unique, consistent, and delivers the same tasting cup of coffee every time). If you read it as I said it's the same everywhere, I have no idea what to say about your reading comprehension and biased inferences, but it's not that complex nor obscured in suggestibility.

I'm also not saying "you can get generic tasting beans just about anywhere" because I didn't say that. I said the coffee that you do buy easily and readily available is all similarly priced and it doesn't matter which one you choose or prefer, just get whatever the hell floats your boat. What most people don't want to do is pay more for coffee when they don't have to. Granted, my opinion doesn't matter much since I only spend about $160 a year on coffee and drink it every day, but I like what I like the same way each person likes what they like regardless of whether they know what goes into making coffee beans ready for consumption.

I'm not going to fight with you. Enjoy your whatever.
juice Inadvertently correct
/me notes pith will fight over tater tot casserole but not coffee. ;)
TOS
make a note in his file
Vulture 420
Pithecanthropus posted:

Last night I was out of coffee, I bought my second bag of something called Jim's Organic. Last time I got the French Roast, it was not bad. This time they were out of the FR so I got the Italian Roast. I haven't opened the bag yet but I'll make coffee today and find out. I'm really lately only most concerned that the coffee is organic. It's a 12 oz. bag for $11, at a 24 hour tiny supermarket that has competitive prices for the neighborhood.
Metacell Chocolate Brahma
I almost never pay more than $6 for a 12 oz bag. That's because I have 5 grocery stores to choose from and they always have something good on sale.
Vulture posted:
Pithecanthropus posted:

Last night I was out of coffee, I bought my second bag of something called Jim's Organic. Last time I got the French Roast, it was not bad. This time they were out of the FR so I got the Italian Roast. I haven't opened the bag yet but I'll make coffee today and find out. I'm really lately only most concerned that the coffee is organic. It's a 12 oz. bag for $11, at a 24 hour tiny supermarket that has competitive prices for the neighborhood.

Competitive prices you say? You walk into my shop and I'll sell you a 14 oz. bag of coffee for $10, and I can tell you exactly when it was roasted. Buy online and that same 14 oz. bag will cost you $12.
Pithecanthropus posted:
Vulture posted:
Pithecanthropus posted:

Competitive prices you say? You walk into my shop and I'll sell you a 14 oz. bag of coffee for $10, and I can tell you exactly when it was roasted. Buy online and that same 14 oz. bag will cost you $12.

My go-to coffee is $6.99 for a 12oz bag, $5.99 if there is a promotion that week in the grocery store. Your price is absolutely reasonable.
I can eat at White Castle.
DukeofNuke FREE RADICAL
Pithecanthropus posted:

They have pretty good coffee
What he saves in food costs will more than be made up in toilet paper expenses
Malkin kick 'em in the face; taste the body
So should I just try a coffee from McDonalds? Is that standard and cheap and non-offensive enough?
They are ubiquitous enough that convenience is a factor and the coffee isn't bad.

From a value perspective, you're still much better off making it at home and bringing it with you.
maurvir Steamed meat popsicle
Malkin posted:
So should I just try a coffee from McDonalds? Is that standard and cheap and non-offensive enough?

McDonald's coffee is usually surprisingly decent. Maybe not up to Pith's standards, but compared to most "low cost" coffees, it's good.
Malkin kick 'em in the face; taste the body
juice posted:

From a value perspective, you're still much better off making it at home and bringing it with you.

That’s true of most all food.
maurvir posted:
Malkin posted:

McDonald's coffee is usually surprisingly decent. Maybe not up to Pith's standards, but compared to most "low cost" coffees, it's good.

It's pretty good over here. When Tim Hortons was bought by BRI they switched coffee contracts to a wasteful one to save money and McDonald's snrached the old contract.
Pariah Know Your Enemy
I don't like McD's coffee because it is served too hot to drink.
When I buy coffee there I get iced in part to avoid that issue but mostly because they have a sugar free option.
Vulture 420
Pithecanthropus posted:
Vulture posted:
Pithecanthropus posted:

I think your prices are perfectly reasonable. Do you have an organic coffee for sale? If you did, I would order from you online just on the principle that you are part of this wonderful community of people here.

EDIT: I just remembered you gave a link to your site on page 1, and sure enough you have an Organic French Roast! C'mon man, you know I'm going have to buy your coffee now and try to make it my only coffee and recommend it to everyone I know. Any suggestions other than the obvious choice for me, knowing what you know about my super weird opinions and preferences?
And is there a possible cheaper shipping option? I have 2 bags in my cart and cheapest UPS Ground shipping is $12. Thank you for your time in advance.
mmaverick my steady systematic decline
Pithecanthropus posted:

I’d just like to point to your americacentric language on your page.

Quote:
Muggsy’s Beans does not sell or ship outside of the US. The shipping charges to countries outside of North America are prohibitive

There’s more to North America than the United states ;)
dv
Malkin posted:

Yes. This.

It's a little more bitter than the stuff we brew at home - I usually get it with one dose of sugar to take the edge off. Milk counteracts the acidity, if you find that disagreeable.

The free coffee at work this month is pretty good (they change up suppliers to keep people from complaining too much.) Been drinking too much of that...

::jitters::
Vulture posted:
Pithecanthropus posted:
Vulture posted:
Pithecanthropus posted:

I think your prices are perfectly reasonable. Do you have an organic coffee for sale? If you did, I would order from you online just on the principle that you are part of this wonderful community of people here.

EDIT: I just remembered you gave a link to your site on page 1, and sure enough you have an Organic French Roast! C'mon man, you know I'm going have to buy your coffee now and try to make it my only coffee and recommend it to everyone I know. Any suggestions other than the obvious choice for me, knowing what you know about my super weird opinions and preferences?
And is there a possible cheaper shipping option? I have 2 bags in my cart and cheapest UPS Ground shipping is $12. Thank you for your time in advance.

I use organic coffee exclusively, except for a few that are just not findable (in over 25 years I've seen organic Tanzanian exactly once). Most are Fair Trade, although I do not belong to the Fair Trade Organization, so I can't label it as "Certified Fair Trade."

I wish I could control shipping costs. Sadly that is beyond me. USPS is even worse than UPS.
Vulture 420
I wish I could do Local Pickup.
I recently switched to a 24-hour cold brew in the fridge. Toss it in a nice vacuum insulated mug and it’s cold for a good 5 hours and cool for another 3-4 (without ice). I’ve been considering making coffee ice cubes to keep it colder, longer. Even though the brew is slow, it takes care of itself, and then I pull the basket with the grounds out and it’s good for up to a week (I generally make 3 days worth at a time).

I tend to prefer Indonesian or middle eastern beans, with the later bring significantly more expensive and basically impossible to find in Taiwan. I also tend to like a splash of syrup (most often vanilla but sometimes I buy something else) and a larger splash of milk, though if the beans are good I can do without one or both.

For grab and go coffee I’m kind of spoiled, as decent if not amazing americanos and lattes are under US$2 here, less if you prepay during a sale. I’m going to miss that convenience when I leave, though I’ve been pretty good about making my own lately anyway.

Malkin, to answer your question, it’s hard to give you something to look for. In the US gas station or convince store coffee tends to be dreadful. Maybe look for something not sitting on a burner, at least because of a thermal carafe if not some system by which it’s made fresh on demand.
TOS
i have the oddest suspicion that this thread has caused pith some actual physical pain
Robert B. Dandy Highwayman
If you really wanna see him flip, talk about percolated.
maurvir Steamed meat popsicle
Robert B. posted:

dv
maurvir posted:
Robert B. posted:

Oh god, even I won't drink that anymore. :eek:

Although a 50/50 mix with hot chocolate powder made for... something, once upon a time.
I percolate.

I bet percolate could be marketed, sold and "influenced" to be as popular and sought after as pour-over. The inherent flaws in the process could be sold as virtues by the right sort of people to the right sort of people. Retro style percolators heated over gas flame (never electric!) could be the thing in coffee shops, if one so wished.
Percolating is the second worst way to brew coffee after "Cowboy coffee." Horridly high temperature water passed through the beans over and over. Yuck. Honestly, I'd take instant over percolated any day of the week.

Personal taste is subjective. Some people like their steak well done, but anyone who loves steak will tell you that that's a horrible thing to do to a piece of meat. That's exactly how I feel about percolating, if you like it then go for it, but you're robbing yourself of what the coffee actually tastes like.
dv
Wait... "Cowboy Coffee" isn't just a pour-over that you make on a camping trip?
TOS
as i recall, cowboy coffee is made without a filter ... just throw some grounds into a pot with water and boil it
Vulture 420
Robert B. posted:

I remember that. I've come to the conclusion that percolators only exist for the world to spot who all the worst people are, because there is no way good coffee can come out of that process. I percolate, it tastes better than drip every time. I'll never buy a drip machine again.

I recently found out there was an old "espresso" way of brewing on the stovetop back in the 30s and 40s. I thought it was those weird geometric octagonal looking "expresso" pots, but it's not. It's some weird thing where you put the grinds in and the top slides over the bottom, and the handle is on the side such that you flip it over at some point before you pour it, some hardcore Italian American thing.
Subsequent topic  /  Preceding topic

Coffee

Page: 1, 2, 3, 4