Coffee

Page: 1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Online now: Bing (sucks), Google [Bot], mmaverick
dv posted:
Got a new coffee maker. Apparently the drip maker we have had something wrong with it - besides the leak that is. Coffee in this thing is waaaaaay stronger.

https://www.costco.com/Cuisinart-Perfec ... 81668.html

Curious why that might be. The only obvious difference is the triangular filter basket, as opposed to the flat bottom one in the old Me. Coffee.

Could be about grind. Flat bottom filter coffee maker should use a slightly different grind for optimal brewing, though I can't recall whether it's a bit more fine or a bit more coarse. But if the grind you've been using is right for your new maker, that would explain better coffee coming out of it. Could also be other factors that affect how quickly the water goes through the beans, or temperature as well.
mmaverick my steady systematic decline
Gd you do you. I love moka pot coffee
Yes, I am NOT a coffee-drinker, but Cory Doctorow is one and he made this recommendation at BoingBoing.net for the new Aeropress Go coffee maker which he is looking forward to using during his travels (which he does a lot). There is an animated demo video at the link showing how it works and fits back together, but--as Doctorow points out--there aren't ANY actual pictures of the press. Currently Aeropress is taking pre-orders (Doctorow's is already in; link to Aeropress Go's order page at the above link) with a promised delivery date of "late October".

Note that rather than use the paper filters which will come with this press and can be stored in a sealed "safe" within the Aeropress Go (but MIGHT be rather expensive), Doctorow put in a link to Amazon for a reusable stainless steel filter specifically designed for Aeropress coffee makers. My guess is that he is assuming that this filter WILL fit into the Aeropress Go too, but sometimes corporations can do wasteful things like a small alteration which would render even a "universal" item unusuable elsewhere.
That sounds promising. I do love our Aeropress.
Vulture 420
Aeropress looks cool. Every time I'm in a hotel and make the coffee in the automatic drip machine usually in there it's never really good. Is it great to have any ht coffee in a hotel while traveling? hell yes! But man Aeropress is probably much better. I love French Press coffee, but I always break mine at home at some point (followed by loud cursing as the last shard of glass settles) and never buy another one.
ukimalefu Rebel? resistance? why not both?
juice Inadvertently correct
It is interesting that Casey's is the best coffee in NE, SD, and IN but isn't the best in their home state of Iowa.
Alexander Supertramp this was uncalled for.
Pariah posted:
I have rarely encountered coffee that I couldn't like. I am aware of it when I get some really good coffee and enjoy it but I thoroughly enjoy my drip brewed grocery store coffee in the morning as well.
It is like with beer. I love a really good beer but, in my opinion, if you can't sit in a folding chair in the shade of a tree on a hot summers afternoon and enjoy drinking an ice cold Bud that you just fished out of an ice chest you are a poorer man than me.
Appreciating finer things is one thing but if you lose the ability to enjoy life's modest pleasures in doing so you have not gained a thing in your sophistication.

I like this and agree wholeheartedly.
Vulture posted:
Aeropress looks cool. Every time I'm in a hotel and make the coffee in the automatic drip machine usually in there it's never really good. Is it great to have any ht coffee in a hotel while traveling? hell yes! But man Aeropress is probably much better. I love French Press coffee, but I always break mine at home at some point (followed by loud cursing as the last shard of glass settles) and never buy another one.

Dude, I wouldn’t touch a hotel room coffee machine. Cleaners don’t even have the time to properly clean rooms most of the time, so those things never get cleaned. Then, add the fact that random weirdos have been in that room on a daily basis.
Vulture 420
mmaverick posted:
Vulture posted:

Dude, I wouldn’t touch a hotel room coffee machine. Cleaners don’t even have the time to properly clean rooms most of the time, so those things never get cleaned. Then, add the fact that random weirdos have been in that room on a daily basis.

I make coffee in them every time. :lol:
Séamas Honorary Consul General
dv posted:
Séamas posted:
I am considering getting a burr grinder. If anyone has any suggestions I'd love to hear them Quite a number of them seem very pricey, and most of those seem very feature laden. I'm fine with inexpensive, but durable and simple.

I have one of these.

https://www.cuisinart.com/shopping/appl ... kers/dbm-8

I got it used for cheaper. It's worked well enough for a bit over two years now - no idea how many hours were on the clock before that. The button to select the grind amount is a bit on the finicky side (I think it gets grounds stuck in it and sometimes needs to be moved all the way back and forth a couple times to knock things loose), and it won't grind unless the receiving container is fully inserted (which it sometimes looks like it is but I still have to push it in to get a "click").

9/10, would buy again.

I purchased this last night.
Happy with it, thanks.
dv
Séamas posted:
dv posted:
Séamas posted:
I am considering getting a burr grinder. If anyone has any suggestions I'd love to hear them Quite a number of them seem very pricey, and most of those seem very feature laden. I'm fine with inexpensive, but durable and simple.

I have one of these.

https://www.cuisinart.com/shopping/appl ... kers/dbm-8

I got it used for cheaper. It's worked well enough for a bit over two years now - no idea how many hours were on the clock before that. The button to select the grind amount is a bit on the finicky side (I think it gets grounds stuck in it and sometimes needs to be moved all the way back and forth a couple times to knock things loose), and it won't grind unless the receiving container is fully inserted (which it sometimes looks like it is but I still have to push it in to get a "click").

9/10, would buy again.

I purchased this last night.
Happy with it, thanks.

Cool. Good luck, and keep your button clean. :D
Malkin kick 'em in the face; taste the body
I went to the school store and bought a cheap small coffee today.

I tried the normal medium roast and there was only about half a cup left. I tried topping it off with some Jamaican coconut flavor. There was about a quarter of a cup of that left.

Anyway. I drank it. It was fine I guess.

Let the experiments continue...
Vulture 420
I don't think anyone mentioned General Foods International Coffees in this thread.
All right, if I'm going to make this switch work, I'm going to need to make it easier on myself.

Understanding that I need a combination of easy and affordable, any recommendations other than this coffee maker?

I don't want to spend too much more than that right now, but realizing that it may also quickly pay for itself in energy drink savings, I'm willing to consider something. I'd probably buy the reusable basket.

And what's my best bet as far as grinders go?
juice Inadvertently correct
My wife's niece brews a pot in a similar coffeemaker to the one you linked, then puts it in a sealed container in the refrigerator. She sweetens it with Stevia and takes it to work as a cold beverage. Given your energy drink background, this could work for you as well. Much more cost effective.
DukeofNuke FREE RADICAL
Malkin posted:
All right, if I'm going to make this switch work, I'm going to need to make it easier on myself.

Understanding that I need a combination of easy and affordable, any recommendations other than this coffee maker?

I don't want to spend too much more than that right now, but realizing that it may also quickly pay for itself in energy drink savings, I'm willing to consider something. I'd probably buy the reusable basket.

That is exactly what you want. You don't need the reusable basket right now, just paper filters to start off with.
Forget the grinder, too. You can go down that road after you develop a palate.
A cheap drip coffee maker, paper filters, a coffee measuring scoop and a can of plain old Maxwell House. I use three scoops per pot at home, YMMV; but that's all you need to get started.
DukeofNuke FREE RADICAL
Also, I've had a couple of B&D coffee makers. They are quite good, much faster than others in that price range, and last many years. A good investment.
dv
Duke speaks truth.
"A single tea bag can leak billions of pieces of microplastic into your brew".
But then:
Quote:
Humans eat an average of 5 grams of plastic each week, according to a separate study earlier this year -- the equivalent of a credit card's weight in plastic.

So...nothing to worry about! Right? Right???
ukimalefu Rebel? resistance? why not both?
DEyncourt posted:
"A single tea bag can leak billions of pieces of microplastic into your brew".
But then:
Quote:
Humans eat an average of 5 grams of plastic each week, according to a separate study earlier this year -- the equivalent of a credit card's weight in plastic.

So...nothing to worry about! Right? Right???

Quote:
Plastic tea bags

WHAT!?

*googles it*

tea bags are made of plastic!?

WTF!?
Who boils tea bags, apart from researchers?
Lombo Opiofiend
Vulture posted:
The beans are typical mediocrity roasted to a desired result, a very good substitute for the Starbucks French Roast that is no longer in production.

Weird, in Canada I can still buy Starbucks French Roast coffee (silver and purple bag). It is one of the only store bought coffee I buy. My preferred brand is a Québec brand called
A.L Van Houtte Colombian Dark Roast.
Vulture 420
Lombo posted:
Vulture posted:
The beans are typical mediocrity roasted to a desired result, a very good substitute for the Starbucks French Roast that is no longer in production.

Weird, in Canada I can still buy Starbucks French Roast coffee (silver and purple bag). It is one of the only store bought coffee I buy. My preferred brand is a Québec brand called

You're right, they sell it at supermarkets only, which means you won't get the fresh 16 oz. bags at any SB location, but they do still make them.
Pariah Know Your Enemy
DukeofNuke posted:
Malkin posted:

That is exactly what you want. You don't need the reusable basket right now, just paper filters to start off with.
Forget the grinder, too. You can go down that road after you develop a palate.
A cheap drip coffee maker, paper filters, a coffee measuring scoop and a can of plain old Maxwell House. I use three scoops per pot at home, YMMV; but that's all you need to get started.

Totally agree. Those coffee makers make perfectly decent coffee.
I actually would recommend getting the reusable, metal mesh filters. Maybe it is just me, but I can taste the paper filter in the coffee. The reusable ones taste better and are possibly better for the environment?
Quick question: what's the easiest way to make really strong coffee?
dv
Betonhaus posted:

Light roast has more caffeine. Just use more grounds than recommended and steep it longer. (Some coffee makers have a "strong" setting that slows the water down.
DukeofNuke FREE RADICAL
Betonhaus posted:

Double the amount of coffee you’re putting in the basket.
Betonhaus posted:

Here is a convoluted video on the “inverted aero press” technique.

It’s a long multi-step video to say, “buy an aero press and use it upside down so that the coffee sits in the grounds longer. Make it stronger by adding coffee grounds and increasing steep time to taste.
Vulture 420
Lombo posted:
Vulture posted:

Every time I see your Avatar I think Tom Segura is talking.
So far my experiment of transitioning to coffee is going well.

I've had a few cups from McDonald's - nothing from a gas station. Had a few cups from the campus store, but nothing from the actual coffee shop.

This morning I had my first drip coffee made at home. I need to find a coffee travel mug, but I think it will be a good thing and work for me in the long run. It helps that the weather has been grey, soggy, and cold, because I really do love cold bubbly beverages. It's easier to enjoy hot coffee when I'm trying to stay warm.

I picked up a few different 5 cup pre-ground packets of coffee at the grocery store just to try different styles. I discovered that the other grocery store near me has grinders for people to use, so I will probably go there next and grind fresh beans. We have so many local coffee producers that I hope to find a few to support and enjoy.

I've resisted adding any flavorings or creamer, because I really am trying to cut the sugar. I bet they could make it a lot tastier, but also do I need to develop the habit? Not sure...

Trying to switch to healthier breakfasts too, with less luck so far. Trying peanut butter toast, bananas, and yogurt. I taught myself to like yogurt just a few years ago. Problem there is also all the sugar they add - might as well eat ice cream instead sometimes. I like the new lower sugar Icelandic style yogurts, but those are like $2+ for a small serving, as opposed to less than $1 for the other styles. Dunno.
dv
Fage greek yogurt is pretty good in the added sugar department. If you're eating at home, get the large container and not the individually packaged ones.

Cottage cheese is also usually pretty low-carb.
DukeofNuke FREE RADICAL
Quote:
This morning I had my first drip coffee made at home

Yay! :up:
This morning I accidentally poured boiling water from my kettle right onto my hand.

Between my first and second knuckle on three fingers aren't blistered, but are between 1st and 2nd degree burns.
OUCH!
Metacell Chocolate Brahma
Ouch, that sucks! Boiling hot water (or steam) will peel your skin right off!
maurvir Steamed meat popsicle
Yeah, ouch is right. I accidentally poured boiling pumpkin pack on my stomach once while attempting to transfer it to another container. The water wicked through my shirt almost instantly and left a large blister, so an easy second degree burn. It also hurt like a son of a buck for days.
I think I lucked out a bit. It was stinging pretty bad for a few hours but is now just feeling alike a bad sunburn. I should have iced it more when it happened.

Icing a burn early can really help a lot.
Once I inadvertently lit the wrong burner on a stove--and grabbed the steel pot handle that was sitting right above it for several minutes. I heard my palm make a sizzle sound. Lucklly we had a whole box of ice-pops (freezer pops?) in the freezer. Used them as compresses for a couple hours. Definitely minimized damage.
DukeofNuke FREE RADICAL
When I was a kid I got sunburned on my legs, on the front from the knees to about mid thigh. (I had spent the day sitting in bleachers at a motorcycle race, wearing shorts) The burn was so hot that you could put a full size ice cube on it and it would melt almost instantly; disappear into a little puddle in about two seconds. There was a visible tan line on my legs for the next twenty years.
arkayn Aaarrrggghhhh
DukeofNuke posted:
When I was a kid I got sunburned on my legs, on the front from the knees to about mid thigh. (I had spent the day sitting in bleachers at a motorcycle race, wearing shorts) The burn was so hot that you could put a full size ice cube on it and it would melt almost instantly; disappear into a little puddle in about two seconds. There was a visible tan line on my legs for the next twenty years.

I did something almost the same, but I was out fishing on a lake and spent the entire day sitting with my feet over the water.
Subsequent topic  /  Preceding topic

Coffee

Page: 1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7