Coffee

Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Online now: Google [Bot], Majestic-12 [Bot]
Robert B. Dandy Highwayman
Vulture posted:
I would love to make drip coffee and percolated coffee of the same beans in two different cups simultaneously and present them to people to see if they can differentiate between them and also which they choose as the preferred cup of fresh brew. And I would love to make it a point to see how the "perc lovers" fare. However, since I'm not that into it I probably won't do such a thing, but I'll keep it in mind. Would be a lot of fun since on one hand we have all these coffee drinkers who do what they do and stick to it, meanwhile on the other hand we have what people have rolling about in their minds about what they think they know and don't really challenge those opinions. As an informed betting man, you would think all the perc drinkers would be hands down stymied and tricked into loving drip coffee. :crazed: :paranoid:

I don't think that would fool anyone who really likes their coffee percolated. Drip coffee is weak, comparatively.
TOS
sean Royal Wombat
TOS posted:
i vote tea

^ This. I am a tea man, myself. Coffee is vile beanfluid; I never did develop a taste for it.
TOS
sean posted:
TOS posted:
i vote tea

^ This. I am a tea man, myself. Coffee is vile beanfluid; I never did develop a taste for it.

TEA!!!!!!
Pariah Know Your Enemy
The onlt tea I actually like is over ice, with lemon.
Malkin kick 'em in the face; taste the body
So right now when I make an occasional cup of Cafe de Olla I use one of those plastic pour over things that sits on top of a mug and has a paper filter. It’s cheap and does the job, but I always have to pour it through about three times to get a strong enough cup. The first time it runs though super fast. Anyway, that’s no fun and kind of messy.

Is there a secret to slowing it down the first time? I’ve tried wetting the filter…

What’s the next cheapest/easiest prep upgrade?
DukeofNuke FREE RADICAL
Vulture 420
Robert B. posted:
Vulture posted:
I would love to make drip coffee and percolated coffee of the same beans in two different cups simultaneously and present them to people to see if they can differentiate between them and also which they choose as the preferred cup of fresh brew. And I would love to make it a point to see how the "perc lovers" fare. However, since I'm not that into it I probably won't do such a thing, but I'll keep it in mind. Would be a lot of fun since on one hand we have all these coffee drinkers who do what they do and stick to it, meanwhile on the other hand we have what people have rolling about in their minds about what they think they know and don't really challenge those opinions. As an informed betting man, you would think all the perc drinkers would be hands down stymied and tricked into loving drip coffee. :crazed: :paranoid:

I don't think that would fool anyone who really likes their coffee percolated. Drip coffee is weak, comparatively.

Absolutely my prediction as well. The only people most likely to be fooled are those who either only drink drip coffee or don't even know the difference to begin with because coffee is coffee.
Vulture 420
Here's a pic of the beans in the bag of Peet's I received, just poured some out and separated the anomalies to the left and left the majority remainder on the right. This is typical of what I see in economical commercial coffee. The beans smell great, the brewed coffee smells great, the coffee tastes great.

Malkin posted:
So right now when I make an occasional cup of Cafe de Olla I use one of those plastic pour over things that sits on top of a mug and has a paper filter. It’s cheap and does the job, but I always have to pour it through about three times to get a strong enough cup. The first time it runs though super fast. Anyway, that’s no fun and kind of messy.

Is there a secret to slowing it down the first time? I’ve tried wetting the filter…

What’s the next cheapest/easiest prep upgrade?

Do you want your coffee hot or cold?

A cheap French press is probably cheaper than a cheap coffee machine, though a cheap coffee machine is probably lazier (how much easier depends on factors like whether you have an electric kettle).

If you prefer cold then I really think a fridge cold brew pitcher, which are also rather cheap, is a great way to go. But you have to plan ahead since it's a 12-24 hour brew (but good in the fridge for up to a week after that).
ukimalefu Rebel? resistance? why not both?
macaddict4life posted:

If you prefer cold then I really think a fridge cold brew pitcher, which are also rather cheap, is a great way to go. But you have to plan ahead since it's a 12-24 hour brew (but good in the fridge for up to a week after that).

what if you do this cold brew thing and then put the coffee in the microwave before drinking?
ukimalefu posted:
macaddict4life posted:

what if you do this cold brew thing and then put the coffee in the microwave before drinking?

Uhhh... hmmmm... I have no idea how that would turn out.

I actually haven't owned a microwave for about 5 years now.
macaddict4life posted:
ukimalefu posted:
macaddict4life posted:

Uhhh... hmmmm... I have no idea how that would turn out.

I actually haven't owned a microwave for about 5 years now.

doesn't have to be a microwave, put it in pot on the stove or something, just brew it cold, then heat it somehow if you want hot coffee

i guess it should be fine
gd Hero of Twilight
We were using one of these after hurricane Maria for months and I developed a taste for it. The coffee comes out rather strong. It's cheap, easy, fast, and only requires a flame to use it. We have a gas stove here at home, but you could potentially make coffee at camp with one of these.

I don't know what you guys call it, but here we call it a Greca (greek) coffee maker.

dv
gd posted:
We were using one of these after hurricane Maria for months and I developed a taste for it. The coffee comes out rather strong. It's cheap, easy, fast, and only requires a flame to use it. We have a gas stove here at home, but you could potentially make coffee at camp with one of these.

I don't know what you guys call it, but here we call it a Greca (greek) coffee maker.

At the risk of offending somebody, that's a percolator.

Might be a Moka pot.
Vulture 420
gd posted:

That's basically pure garbage no matter what coffee you put in it, yes the "Moka Pot". When I see that in somebody's house, I know never to ask for coffee. In America, people refer to that loosely as "espresso", which is another huge red flag to run away. More commonly, they call it "expresso", which is more in line with what you get out of a Moka Pot, because there is no such thing as "expresso" and the coffee you get out of a Moka Pot is equally nebulous.

All that criticism aside, if you want a strong coffee that is neither espresso nor any high quality cup, the Moka Pot has its place among many coffee drinkers who don't care to know too much about coffee but just want to drink it in some seemingly home made version of an espresso that is not an espresso at all. It's very similar to the Stella Napoletana flip pot I wrote about earlier. I wonder if the Moka Pot really has Greek origins?
Alexander Supertramp this was uncalled for.
This thread is buck wild. I love that so many of you love your wasteful coffee. I risk getting banned from Portland when I do get the occasional gas station cup of coffee.

Malkin, you mentioned carbonation and cold, I think. Give a long black over ice a shot.
dv
Got a new coffee maker. Apparently the drip maker we have had something wrong with it - besides the leak that is. Coffee in this thing is waaaaaay stronger.

https://www.costco.com/Cuisinart-Perfec ... 81668.html

Curious why that might be. The only obvious difference is the triangular filter basket, as opposed to the flat bottom one in the old Me. Coffee.
Vulture 420
dv posted:
Got a new coffee maker. Apparently the drip maker we have had something wrong with it - besides the leak that is. Coffee in this thing is waaaaaay stronger.

Curious why that might be. The only obvious difference is the triangular filter basket, as opposed to the flat bottom one in the old Me. Coffee.

I'd like to know what the "Brew Strength Control" feature is.
dv
Vulture posted:
dv posted:

I'd like to know what the "Brew Strength Control" feature is.

My old coffee maker had one too - it's just a button that supposedly makes the coffee stronger. Makes it take longer through the grounds. I haven't bothered using it on this one because yikes, but the old one it didn't seem to do much.
gd Hero of Twilight
Vulture posted:
gd posted:

That's basically pure garbage no matter what coffee you put in it, yes the "Moka Pot". When I see that in somebody's house, I know never to ask for coffee. In America, people refer to that loosely as "espresso", which is another huge red flag to run away. More commonly, they call it "expresso", which is more in line with what you get out of a Moka Pot, because there is no such thing as "expresso" and the coffee you get out of a Moka Pot is equally nebulous.

All that criticism aside, if you want a strong coffee that is neither espresso nor any high quality cup, the Moka Pot has its place among many coffee drinkers who don't care to know too much about coffee but just want to drink it in some seemingly home made version of an espresso that is not an espresso at all. It's very similar to the Stella Napoletana flip pot I wrote about earlier. I wonder if the Moka Pot really has Greek origins?

Moka pot, I never would have guessed that name. I know it’s not good coffee, but it makes do for when you are months on end without power or non-potable water.
Vulture 420
Okay, one more visual comparison of two great tasting commercially successful French Roasts, Peet's vs. Starbucks. The first is SB, which I saw at the supermarket yesterday and just had to buy it so I could compare these two (and enjoy drinking them).

Notice just how black they get their beans at SB, which I feel gives it its unique taste somehow. I don't know how they get it so black without ruining the roast, but it makes the coffee smell burnt in comparison to Peet's, which smells like it has a much wider range and fuller smell, giving a sense of a strong coffee odor. The SB FR is more pointed, narrow, but precise, which makes sense when going for something unique and consistent. I have never come across another FR that even remotely hits the mark of the flavor of the SB FR, and that's how they trapped me and no doubt others looking for that taste. I will use the SB FR to make espresso, which is amazing with that roast, and I'll be brewing regular coffee with the Peet's.
I really want to say that a moka pot is NOT a percolator. They work different, even if they look similar.

But it doesn't matter. Let people enjoy things their way. YOur way is not the "best" or "right" way, it's only your preferred way, they way you're used to. And if you quote "experts", it might be experts that agree with your choice.

I've drank good coffee, and bad coffee, made the same way. The only difference was the brand. I think that's the most important part of the equation, more important than the method of brewing anyway.

And I've had great instant coffee :p
juice Inadvertently correct
Giant pot of ukifail
Vulture 420
ukimalefu posted:

And I've had great instant coffee :p

I'm tempted to get a big jar of Taster's Choice if I see it on sale one day. I'll never forget that day about 25 years ago when I made a cup of it with two spoonsfulls of whatever that weird weightless granulated crumble is and added a spoonful of vanilla Haagen Dasz and was wired like all get out.
maurvir Steamed meat popsicle
You want to develop an appreciation for powdered or perc-brewed coffee? Go hiking or camping in cold weather. I guarantee you, that stuff will taste like the ambrosia of the gods when you get up shivering your ass off in the morning. It's how I developed a taste for coffee in the first place. ;)

Interestingly, this is also how I developed a taste for dark chocolate. During the Order of the Arrow initiation, you work your ass off and lunch consists of a package of baker's chocolate and raisins. By the time I was handed my "lunch", I could have eaten the bark off of a tree, and sure enough, that stuff was heavenly. I've enjoyed dark chocolate ever since.
Metacell Chocolate Brahma
Coffee is all-right and I enjoy it and all, but its not that important. Tea is important.
Metacell posted:
Coffee is all-right and I enjoy it and all, but its not that important. Tea is important.

Good beer is importanter.
juice posted:
Metacell posted:

Is there any beer with caffeine?
ukimalefu posted:
juice posted:
Metacell posted:

I'm sure there is, but I can take or leave caffeine.
Malkin kick 'em in the face; taste the body
Well, I went to McDonalds today and ordered a large coffee for $1.

It tastes like my grandma’s kisses. Without the aftertaste of cigarettes.

I resisted adding any sugar. It certainly would have made it better.

Can’t say I liked it, but I think I can learn to. Accessible (unlike tea) cheap (unlike energy shots) and relatively healthy (unlike Red Bull).

I’ll probably pick up a bag of something at the grocery store this weekend.
Metacell Chocolate Brahma
juice posted:
Metacell posted:

I won't argue that.

And yes, there is beer with caffeine. I've had some from Dogfish Brewery, specifically brewed with coffee beans.

Last edited by Metacell on Wed Sep 25, 2019 7:40 pm.

dv
Malkin posted:

:lol:
dv posted:
Malkin posted:

I find a small amount of creamer makes it a bit more palatable. Irish Whiskey and whipped topping does, too. ;)
juice posted:
Metacell posted:

Heh.

I don't drink coffee or tea or beer. The main reason for all is that I never got into the habit when I was younger. I think regardless of the method used to make coffee, it SMELLS wonderful, but my only caffeine habit was through Coke/Pepsi, and I've done away with that too.

Sometimes I will get (look away, Pithy!) a Starbucks dessert drink--sometimes even one with coffee--when I go to my Barnes & Noble but I hardly count those as coffee.
maurvir Steamed meat popsicle
juice posted:
dv posted:
Malkin posted:

I find a small amount of creamer makes it a bit more palatable. Irish Whiskey and whipped topping does, too. ;)

There is nothing wrong with using creamer to make crap coffee more palatable, but you shouldn't add anything to a proper sipping coffee. :trollface:
Séamas Honorary Consul General
People use "proper" when they mean to say "my preference".
Pariah Know Your Enemy
I have rarely encountered coffee that I couldn't like. I am aware of it when I get some really good coffee and enjoy it but I thoroughly enjoy my drip brewed grocery store coffee in the morning as well.
It is like with beer. I love a really good beer but, in my opinion, if you can't sit in a folding chair in the shade of a tree on a hot summers afternoon and enjoy drinking an ice cold Bud that you just fished out of an ice chest you are a poorer man than me.
Appreciating finer things is one thing but if you lose the ability to enjoy life's modest pleasures in doing so you have not gained a thing in your sophistication.
Vulture 420
The last thing I want to drink on a hot summer afternoon is a Bud. My pleasure is pure green tea in some ice. I find it funny how people have their pleasures but when others don't enjoy the same pleasures then they must not be enjoying life. It's similar to when people eat sweets or savory junk food and say you have to live a little. What they mean is, "this is what I like, so you should also". The pleasure and the thing giving pleasure are not linked in a common tautology among the human experience. It does seem that way when you narrow people into small groups like common culture and what is deemed normal and acceptable. I find great interest in asking people what it is that they enjoy most and inspecting their responses to discern unique answers.
ukimalefu posted:
juice posted:
Metacell posted:

https://brewstar.ca/en/beer/stout-espresso/
Subsequent topic  /  Preceding topic

Coffee

Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7