Coffee

Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7
Online now: Google [Bot], Kirk, Metacell
Malkin kick 'em in the face; taste the body
I’ve avoided drinking coffee for years, as I didn’t want to form a habit. But I need/want the caffeine, and I’d like to quit my Red Bull or energy shot habit for both health and financial reasons.

The only coffee I’ve ever really liked is Cafe de Olla (Mexican coffee) which isn’t common to find around my parts, is expensive to buy here, and is loaded with sugar, which I’d like to avoid.

So what’s a readily available coffee I can learn to like that won’t break the budget? Looking for recommendations for either brands or styles.
C. Ives Lacks Critical stick fiddling Thinking
I enjoy Cameron's Toasted Southern Pecan.

I get the larger, 32oz bag of whole beans and grind them as I go.

If you check the breakfast aisle most coffees have "sample" packs that will make one 8 cup pot so you can experiment.
macnuke Afar
for the cheap.... Folgers Silk dark roast.
or community .....

just remember... medium roast coffee has more caffeine than dark roast.
macnuke Afar
oh yeah.. i am sure our resident coffee baron will have great advice for you.

Would rather drink muddy water before I drank a red bull.
Vulture 420
Everyone learns to like whatever brand they drink. When other people rave about how "their" coffee tastes the best, it doesn't mean anything. Coffee is pretty much the same price across the board wherever you buy it (unless you're not normal and pay for elitist coffee that can be double the price or $130 per pound). I used to drink Startbucks French Roast exclusively, whole bean, and ground at home with a burr grinder. Since they discontinued that roast, I decided I no longer need to give Starbucks another penny since I now have to adjust my taste preference to either another roast or another brand of the same roast which is not even close to the same thing.
I brew a pot of coffee every day and drink the whole thing by the end of the day in two servings. I've decided to try an organic French roast last time I went shopping, and it was tolerable and better than other organics I've tried. I will be sticking to organic french roast from now on, and frankly, I don't care who makes it.
The price difference is considerable, a pound of Starbucks is $12.95 usually, sometimes they have sales so they can be $9.95 for a pound. The organic french roast I just bought was $12.99 for 12 ounces. Oh well, fiddlesticks Starbucks.

Lastly, the caffeine in coffee is not that big of a deal to me, I can literally drink a cup of coffee and go to sleep at night because I tend to be regularly exhausted on a schedule both mentally and physically by choice. What I REALLY do for caffeine is I buy a 2L bottle of unsweetened pure green tea and pour about 8 ounces into a jar with ice and add 200mg of pure caffeine powder into that. Now that, my friends, gets you up in the morning.
arkayn Aaarrrggghhhh
I will never be a coffee drinker, I get my caffeine from my soda and will stick with that.

The smell of coffee is fantastic, the taste on the other hand.
justine Elitist Beer Lover
If it’s just the caffeine you want, just buy some caffeine pills.
macnuke Afar
daily soda has been linked to increased risk of stroke.
along with the usual other things..
diabetes, obesity, dental decay, etc etc
jkahless Custom Title
Cheap supermarket coffee with condensed milk from the can. Serve it hot or over ice, sweetened or not. The condensed milk has a little sweetness to it and cuts the richness of the over roasted beans.
Metacell Chocolate Brahma
Seattle's Best is my favorite coffee brand and cheap at Winco.
Pariah Know Your Enemy
Cheap whole bean coffee is better than the best pre-ground coffee.
Robert B. Dandy Highwayman
I love coffee.
DukeofNuke FREE RADICAL
Folgers Black Silk
Eight-o-clock original

If you don't have a coffee pot, I recommend one with a thermal carafe
Vulture 420
Taster's Choice. It's in the name.
I've done caffeine pills. Part of it is the need and the ritual of drinking a beverage.

I drink plenty of tea and enjoy the extra caffeinated style - but that's pretty much on me. It's not something one finds at a coffee shop or gas station.

I like cold and carbonation. That is going to be hard to replace.
juice Inadvertently correct
Iced Coffee is an option. Unless you make it yourself it is tough to find one that isn't a giant sugar bomb.

I don't know what to tell you on the carbonation.
maurvir Steamed meat popsicle
Much like liquor, there are two basic kinds of coffee. Sipping coffee and work coffee. I tend to drink Ethiopan, Sumatran, or Kona for sipping coffee. Work coffee is usually whatever Sam's has on special - which, lately, has been their organic breakfast blend. It's not that bad, and it gets the job done.
Pithecanthropus Roast Master
You live in MN, right, Malkin? http://www.muggsysbeans.com <-- that's me. I can set you up with fresh roasted coffee that's better than anything Starbucks, Caribou, Seattle's Best, or any of those other bums puts out.
juice Inadvertently correct
McCafe has beans and grounds available in the coffee aisle at the grocery store. It is surprisingly good product.
Vulture posted:
When other people rave about how "their" coffee tastes the best, it doesn't mean anything. Coffee is pretty much the same price across the board wherever you buy it...

I can't disagree more. In fact, I'll go as far as to say you don't know what you're talking about.
TOS
obvs My password is "contraseña"
arkayn posted:
I will never be a coffee drinker, I get my caffeine from my soda and will stick with that.

The smell of coffee is fantastic, the taste on the other hand.
The smell of coffee literally nauseates me.
Séamas Honorary Consul General
macnuke posted:

just remember... medium roast coffee has more caffeine than dark roast.

I can see that.
I prefer medium roasts more for their flavor and body.
After years of buying dark roasts I suddenly realized why I was often so unsatisfied by my coffee-I just don't care for dark roasts.

I finally quit my drip coffee maker. I'm the only person in the family that drinks the stuff, and the one I was using was often spilling or not operating as well as it should.
I went shopping for a replacement, but saw few options for a small one. Seems the Keurig type machine has almost become the norm (because we need more plastic things going into landfills).

So I opted for a French Press. I might get a burr grinder, but as of now I just get my coffee from a coffee shop and have them grind it. Yesterday I got some El Salvador medium roast. Nice but I probably should have brewed it a bit stronger.
Vulture 420
Pithecanthropus posted:
Vulture posted:
When other people rave about how "their" coffee tastes the best, it doesn't mean anything. Coffee is pretty much the same price across the board wherever you buy it...

I can't disagree more. In fact, I'll go as far as to say you don't know what you're talking about.

I knew you would think that and was actually waiting for your exact response as I wrote that. It also doesn't matter if you think I don't know what I'm talking about, because you probably don't know what I'm talking about.

You go to any supermarket and every bag of coffee costs about $11-13. Outside of the supermarket you can get all elitist about your coffee and pay as much as you'd like for whatever you want to be happy.
Pithecanthropus posted:
You live in MN, right, Malkin? http://www.muggsysbeans.com <-- that's me. I can set you up with fresh roasted coffee that's better than anything Starbucks, Caribou, Seattle's Best, or any of those other bums puts out.

Yeah, see the problem is that I don't want to develop a taste for good coffee. I want to develop a liking for a drink I can walk into almost any gas station and enjoy for a buck or two.

I have no doubt your coffee is a lot better. It's just that I'm trying to save money and still have an easy option when out and about.
dv
Malkin posted:
Pithecanthropus posted:

Yeah, see the problem is that I don't want to develop a taste for good coffee. I want to develop a liking for a drink I can walk into almost any gas station and enjoy for a buck or two.

I have no doubt your coffee is a lot better. It's just that I'm trying to save money and still have an easy option when out and about.

A buck or two is a lot of money for coffee - even if you buy the "good" stuff for home brewing, cost comes out to <$1/pot. Less if you're brewing smaller amounts just for yourself.

With all due respect to Pithy, my housemate and I buy this stuff, whole bean. 5 pound bag lasts us about a month. We use a burr grinder I got used on eBay for $35, and a standard issue Mr. Coffee drip machine.

It's quite nice - has a little bit of a nutty flavor when the bag is fresh. Otherwise it's quite mild - coffee for people who don't like coffee.

It's also getting to be the time of year where we buy a couple pounds of their cinnamon-apple flavored coffee.

As far as backups go, I find McDonald's with a shot of sugar is cheap and too bland to be offensive (although I wouldn't say it tastes good, but it does the job). Housemate's standard backup plan in Caribou blonde roast and a lot of milk.
Vulture 420
This thread just reminded me that I had heard of Folger's 1850 recently, when my mother visited and needed coffee that she likes, and she asked about that one which I've never heard of. She hates Starbucks coffee and dark roasts, and prefers 3 or 4 average kinds of coffee ranging from original Dunkin' Donuts to Gevalia. She also has no problem buying ground coffee from a supermarket and buys way more coffee per year than I do by 2-3 times. The 1850 coffee is another cheaper coffee, about $8.50 for 12 ounces:

"1850 by Folgers features a darker and stronger taste which was developed to appeal more to Millennials. When developing this new product line, Folgers doubled the amount of research its team normally does in an attempt to drastically revive sales, especially with younger consumers."

Yep, coffee is due for a new revolution because this market has been saturated and beat to death.
DukeofNuke FREE RADICAL
Malkin posted:
Pithecanthropus posted:

Coffee varies widely from place to place, and most gas stations now have a half dozen different flavors and a counter full of flavor syrups to doctor-up your coffee with french vanilla or pumpkin spice so you really have to shop around for coffee you like. It may also depend on the staff at your favorite gas station, whether they keep it fresh or just let it sit there all day either cooking itself down or getting cold.
Just start with straight up Maxwell House of Folgers at home. Once you develop a taste you can branch out and try different stuff.
Vulture posted:
Pithecanthropus posted:
Vulture posted:

I knew you would think that and was actually waiting for your exact response as I wrote that. It also doesn't matter if you think I don't know what I'm talking about, because you probably don't know what I'm talking about.

You go to any supermarket and every bag of coffee costs about $11-13. Outside of the supermarket you can get all elitist about your coffee and pay as much as you'd like for whatever you want to be happy.

You bandy about the term "French roast" likes it's the same thing everywhere. It's not. French roast is a color, not a universal constant bean. Each bean has it's own distinct flavor, and that translates to a different French roast. I absolutely guarantee you that a French roast Guatemalan will taste wildly different from a French roast Tanzanian.

If all you're saying is, "you can get generic tasting beans just about anywhere," then you are 100% correct. And if that's all you want out of coffee, then that's all you're going to get.
Pariah Know Your Enemy
Folgers is a solid coffee and quite reasonably priced. Nothing fancy, just a decent cup of Joe.
TOS
Tea is difficult and often expensive to find in the US.
TOS
but .... tea!
jkahless Custom Title
Vulture posted:
Pithecanthropus posted:
Vulture posted:

Bags of coffee at the supermarket here cost anything from about $8-$20. Do you shop in the same supermarket where you can buy your ammo and armoured back to school napsacks?
dv
Malkin posted:

...really?

Is this one of those things where I'm spoiled because I live in the metro? Cub has like half an aisle of different varieties and there's a bunch of asian groceries around that have specialty teas.
TOS
dv posted:
Malkin posted:

...really?

Is this one of those things where I'm spoiled because I live in the metro? Cub has like half an aisle of different varieties and there's a bunch of asian groceries around that have specialty teas.

but are they in bags? gotta have it loose, man

this is my current fave
I made the mistake of buying tea from Starbucks once. It was the weirdest human waste ever, it wasn't even dehydrated but a bunch of green rubbery stems in a bag. Not crushed or anything, so no matter how long you steep it it wont reach the core of the stems.
I don’t mean at the grocery store. I mean out and about. A few restaurants here and there serve good tea, but not many. And places that will give you bottomless pots of coffee will charge you by the cup for tea, or be slow to refill. And don’t get me started on how even coffee shops will make the water way too hot and burn it all to hell…
mmaverick my steady systematic decline
On the trains I use a Nanopresso

It makes a great fake espresso and doesn’t take up much space. As for the beans, we usually buy from several different B.C. roasters, depending on whichever one is cheapest when we are running out.

A lot of other people at work bring an Aeropress
They work well, and it’s what we use at home after I accidentally melted my mokapot together...

I’m not a huge fan of drinking coffee at restaurants, not because I’m a snob, but like you mentioned, it’s just so damned hot that I end up having to put ice into it. I find that’s less of an issue if you can get an americano, but then it won’t be bottomless.
mmaverick my steady systematic decline
And never drink Tim hortons coffee, it tastes like they threw burnt coffee grounds into the mop water.
Subsequent topic  /  Preceding topic

Coffee

Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7