Starhopper hops

Online now: Betonhaus, DEyncourt, Google [Bot], Majestic-12 [Bot], Pariah
ukimalefu Rebel? resistance? why not both?
SpaceX's Experimental Mars Rocket 'Starhopper' Just Passed Its Last Test

Quote:
Starhopper is a roughly 60-foot-tall (18 meters) vehicle and a squat steel prototype of a planned Mars launch system called Starship.

maurvir Steamed meat popsicle
Wow, it finally looks like we are seeing the future as seen in the 1920's. Seriously, though, that is really cool. :up:
juice Inadvertently correct
Is it coincidence that our financial and tax system carries an eerie similarity to the 20s?
dv
TOS
i can't decide if this is a clumsy publicity stunt or if musk is just reckless enough to actually plan on sending people to mars
TOS posted:
i can't decide if this is a clumsy publicity stunt or if musk is just reckless enough to actually plan on sending people to mars

yes, it's a publicity stunt, but they were also testing the new engine, and it worked

But, do you think they're going to send people to Mars, on that bucket PROTOTYPE, tomorrow?

Crazier than Mars is rocket tourism on Earth. Remember that? Musk said he wants to do that. Take the morning rocket to Paris, have lunch there, walk around the park, and take the evening rocket back home and sleep in your own bed.

So far, he's only SAYING he wants to send people to Mars. There isn't even a date to the first SpaceX manned capsule to the space station.

If you're gonna complain about Musk talking about going to Mars, take it easy. I'd say you have several years to do that.
TOS
ukimalefu posted:
TOS posted:

yes, it's a publicity stunt, but they were also testing the new engine, and it worked

But, do you think they're going to send people to Mars, on that bucket PROTOTYPE, tomorrow?

Crazier than Mars is rocket tourism on Earth. Remember that? Musk said he wants to do that. Take the morning rocket to Paris, have lunch there, walk around the park, and take the evening rocket back home and sleep in your own bed.

So far, he's only SAYING he wants to send people to Mars. There isn't even a date to the first SpaceX manned capsule to the space station.

If you're gonna complain about Musk talking about going to Mars, take it easy. I'd say you have several years to do that.

musk has pegged 2024 as a launch date
TOS posted:
ukimalefu posted:
TOS posted:

He always says dates, almost never meets them.

Also, launch date for what? a manned mission to Mars? did he specifically said that? I guess he may have, but I actually don't know.

Anyway, you have over 4 years to uncouth individual about it. Take it easy or you'll get tired. :p
dv posted:
DC-X

TOS
ukimalefu posted:
TOS posted:
ukimalefu posted:
TOS posted:

He always says dates, almost never meets them.

Also, launch date for what? a manned mission to Mars? did he specifically said that? I guess he may have, but I actually don't know.

Anyway, you have over 4 years to uncouth individual about it. Take it easy or you'll get tired. :p

google it, fool

i'm not complaining, i'm just not a fanboy ... i literally asked whether the mission plans are real or just a publicity stunt, because the technology for a mars mission is not here
Pariah Know Your Enemy
How are they going to keep Mars mission astronauts from being radiation riddled husks during the trip?
TOS
Pariah posted:
How are they going to keep Mars mission astronauts from being radiation riddled husks during the trip?

one of many life-or-death questions requiring serious answers
Pariah Know Your Enemy
TOS posted:
Pariah posted:

one of many life-or-death questions requiring serious answers

In the popular press you never see any mention of the radiation problem and I think most people just think getting to Mars is a matter of building the right rocket, provisioning it well for such a long, possibly one way trip and that's it.
I don't see any unoptanium discovery coming any time soon and the weight of the metal or water shielding needed to provide protection is going to be way, way too costly in weight and fuel to be practical. Evven if we had a Moon base capable to producing the shields in a low gravity environment it won't solve the problem of accelerating so much mass to reasonable interplanetary speeds and the breaking that will be needed at the end of the trip.
The tiny little tub shown in the OP ain't even a baby step towards the vehicle that would need to be built to reach Mars. For an unmanned mission certainly, but not a manned mission.
mmaverick my steady systematic decline
Pariah posted:

The tiny little tub shown in the OP ain't even a baby step towards the vehicle that would need to be built to reach Mars. For an unmanned mission certainly, but not a manned mission.

That tub thing was only for testing the engine.
Subsequent topic  /  Preceding topic

Starhopper hops