I Got A Job!

Online now: Betonhaus, Bing (sucks), Google [Bot], iDaemon, Pariah
Pariah Know Your Enemy
I haven't been working for about 3 years now. Inbetween taking care of my mom, recovering from taking care of my mom and then moving to Virginia I just had not felt up to it. But I have been feeling better and went and applied at a Printshop last week.
They told me the position they had was filled but the foreman still interviewed me and we had a really good talk and I walked away feeling like I had aced it even though I did not get a job. Fast forward to about 15 minutes ago. My phone rings and it is the Foreman telling me the dude they hired did not work out and he wants me to come in tomorrow morning, ready to work.
The shop runs weird hours: 5am till 1pm so I need to be getting up really early but the bright side of that is that I won't have to battle rush hour traffic going into Norfolk which can get really bad because all the eastbound traffic gets choked down to just two routes, a bridge or a tunnel. Having an off peak commute is nice even if it is so early.
I am pretty nervous, it's been a long time since I punched a clock but I also feel jazzed and energized. :)
Malkin kick 'em in the face; taste the body
Super congrats!!!
ukimalefu Rebel? resistance? why not both?
Stock up on 5 hour energy shooters and sleeping pills until you adjust
maurvir Steamed meat popsicle
DukeofNuke FREE RADICAL
dv
Cool; good luck!
Pariah Know Your Enemy
Betonhaus posted:

Um, Oh hell no to both.
juice Inadvertently correct
Pariah posted:
Betonhaus posted:

Um, Oh hell no to both.

That was terrible advice, even considering the source.
Yori Program
Congratulations! :up:
macnuke Afar
mmaverick my steady systematic decline
juice posted:
Pariah posted:
Betonhaus posted:

Um, Oh hell no to both.

I mean, at least he didn’t tell him to make a leaf blower turbo to get to work faster.
mmaverick posted:
juice posted:
Pariah posted:
Betonhaus posted:

Um, Oh hell no to both.

I mean, at least he didn’t tell him to make a leaf blower turbo to get to work faster.

That's from at least ten to fifteen years ago. Pretty sad if you're still bringing that up
Lombo Opiofiend
It is timeless advice, betonhaus.
Pariah Know Your Enemy
Ugh, getting up at 3am is unpleasant.
ukimalefu Rebel? resistance? why not both?
Pariah posted:
Ugh, getting up at 3am is unpleasant.

You'll adapt.

First step for that is getting to bed earlier.
Alexander Supertramp this was uncalled for.
Betonhaus posted:
mmaverick posted:
juice posted:
Pariah posted:
Betonhaus posted:

Um, Oh hell no to both.

That's from at least ten to fifteen years ago. Pretty sad if you're still bringing that up

I always figured you were just stick fiddling with us with that. I want it to be real.

Congrats Pariah.
Pariah Know Your Enemy
My first day was really good. The woman who I am replacing was training me up on the press I will be running. She is a really nice person, we got along rally well and she is a natural at showing someone how to run the press. After aboutt 4 hours I was getting the hang of it pretty good and and I will be totaly up to speed in no time. The machine is in pretty good condition, everything that matters works well and that is a big deal. Nothing makes a job suck worse than trying to run some broke down piece of human waste.
For those in the know I am running a Heidelberg PrintMaster which is a pretty high quality smaller press.
Also, I got the wage I requested, no negotiating required and no drug test, they don't do that there and looking around at my co-workers I am pretty confident I will be able to find a pot hook-up.
So, all in all a good start. :)
Malkin kick 'em in the face; taste the body
Right on! Hope it all works out for you.

I know nothing about presses, but I do recall you saying that you really prefer older style ones that are a lot more manual in nature, is that the style of press you’re running here?
Betonhaus posted:
mmaverick posted:
juice posted:
Pariah posted:
Betonhaus posted:

Um, Oh hell no to both.

I’ll still throw some Nirvana on from time to time.

And if you’d like, you can think of it as, your advice is getting better ;)
Alexander Supertramp posted:
Betonhaus posted:
mmaverick posted:
juice posted:
Pariah posted:
Betonhaus posted:

Um, Oh hell no to both.

I always figured you were just stick fiddling with us with that. I want it to be real.

Congrats Pariah.

All I was ever saying was that it would work.
Betonhaus posted:
Betonhaus posted:
mmaverick posted:
juice posted:
Pariah posted:
Betonhaus posted:

Um, Oh hell no to both.

Congrats Pariah.

ONLY ONE WAY TO FIND OUT
Betonhaus posted:
Betonhaus posted:
mmaverick posted:
juice posted:
Pariah posted:
Betonhaus posted:

Um, Oh hell no to both.

Congrats Pariah.

ONLY ONE WAY TO FIND OUT

And that way is to check YouTube.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ngRdKSh99YU&app=desktop

but wait there's more:
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_ ... ower+turbo

Last edited by Betonhaus on Wed Aug 14, 2019 12:49 am.

Lombo Opiofiend
My friend had to bike 40 klicks and he was tired as fiddlesticks. He managed to rig a ghostbuster-style gas-powered backpack leafblower Image

To his bicycle. It worked but was stick fiddling noisy.
So betonhaus advice worked but it did raise a ruckus and you need a professional grade leafblower to make it work.
This is a real plot twist.
juice Inadvertently correct
What have you people done to Par's beautiful thread?
juice posted:

Considering that over half of it is people repeating the same thing, it was okayish to begin with.
Lombo Opiofiend
BTW congrats on the new job, Par!
macnuke Afar
Betonhaus posted:
juice posted:

Considering that over half of it is people repeating the same thing, it was okayish to begin with.

since when does a thread in this place stay on topic?
Can we get back to rampart?
Pariah Know Your Enemy
Things continue to go well. The culture of the shop is very casual and they don't get bent over trivia like if you are come in and start early or late, as long as the work gets done it's all good and the best part is they don't enforce a lunch break so I can eat at my bench as I work so I can work straight through for 8 hours and bounce. I really prefer that.
The commute at 4:45am is a breeze. Practically no traffic on well lighted expressways.
Plenty of ice in the freezer!
The last half of today I took over the press with my trained standing back for when a question came up and I am getting my mind wrapped around my new press pretty quick.
The foreman keeps asking me how I like the job in a solicitous way. I have been talking to my coworkers and the scuttlebutt is that the company has been having a hard time finding good people the last few years. It's nice to be wanted :)
The adjustment to my new very early hours proceeds apace. I will be all used to it in a week I am sure and I like the idea of being done for the day at 1pm.
Subsequent topic  /  Preceding topic

I Got A Job!