One step closer to "We have no bananas today (or ever)"

Online now: Google [Bot]
maurvir Steamed meat popsicle
https://www.nationalgeographic.com/envi ... ng-future/

Quote:
A fungus that has wreaked havoc on banana plantations in the Eastern Hemisphere has, despite years of preventative efforts, arrived in the Americas.

ICA, the Colombian agriculture and livestock authority, confirmed on Thursday that laboratory tests have positively identified the presence of so-called Panama disease Tropical Race 4 on banana farms in the Caribbean coastal region. The announcement was accompanied by a declaration of a national state of emergency.

Wow. Good thing we have moved to avocados as the exotic plant that people eat for some reason.
macnuke Afar
grown in mexico.... no future there.
TOS
i assume the millenials are to blame
dv
Betonhaus posted:
Wow. Good thing we have moved to avocados as the exotic plant that people eat for some reason.

Wait... bananas were exotic? :roll:
Well they don't grow here.
macnuke Afar
phallic symbol.. therefore "exotic"
Metacell Chocolate Brahma
Betonhaus posted:
Well they don't grow here.

3/4 of the world's produce grow in the tropics. But I suppose we can all go back to carrots and potatoes.
:(
Pariah Know Your Enemy
Gosh, it's almost as if the global banana producers move to a single strain of bananas was a bad idea.
obvs My password is "contraseña"
It's interesting.

I've noticed that the quality of bananas(and the size of bananas sold) has gone down really significantly over the past several years.
Pariah posted:
Gosh, it's almost as if the global banana producers move to a single strain of bananas was a bad idea.

While it certainly was, supposedly a big part of the problem from this particular fungus is that there are few species (none of them commercially viable) that resist it.
gd Hero of Twilight
Betonhaus posted:

Wait... avocados are considered exotic?

I may make a business out of selling the ones that grow in my backyard.
jkahless Custom Title
Yup. You should eat poutine and steamed hotdogs drenched in maple syrup on a bed of kraft dinner like normal people, not that exotic crap.
obvs My password is "contraseña"
Mmmm...poutine...
My understanding is that a blight obliterated another banana type many decades ago and the current one is all there is left to work with. Perhaps because the fruit is not a seed there are difficulties in propagating different types.
Séamas Honorary Consul General
Pariah posted:

They moved to the Cavendish due to the previous variety (Gros Michel) getting wiped from a bactertial wilt.

Another compounding issue is the means of the plant reproduction being asexual rather than a sexual reproduction, which means it is tremendously difficult and slow to produce or augment new strains.
juice Inadvertently correct
The other difficulty is the need for the variety to be commercially viable. That means tough enough to withstand transportation distances and storage.
jkahless Custom Title
When a cavendish is transported, it has the consistency of a stick. If it doesn’t snap in half when bent, you reject the shipment as too ripe.
Maybe it's time to re-think the availability that non-tropical regions demand of tropical foods.
macnuke Afar
Ribtor posted:
Maybe it's time to re-think the availability that non-tropical regions demand of tropical foods.

we just want the cheap foods. not the people that grow them.
Rice is fine though. It keeps.
Subsequent topic  /  Preceding topic

One step closer to "We have no bananas today (or ever)"