Welcome to rocket circus

Online now: No visible users
ukimalefu Rebel? resistance? why not both?
Quote:
Small satellite launcher Rocket Lab is following in the footsteps of rocket behemoth SpaceX with plans to make its rockets reusable. But Rocket Lab won’t be landing its vehicles in the same fashion as SpaceX’s Falcon 9. Instead, the company plans to catch its rockets in mid-air with a helicopter after they’ve fallen back to Earth.

Quote:
...after having launched the rocket seven times now, the company gathered enough data from each flight that convinced the team something like this could be done.

Wow, seven times.

Ok, they have a small rocket

Quote:
The company’s 55-foot-tall rocket is only capable of lofting a maximum of 500 pounds (225 kilograms) into low Earth orbit. That’s a very small load compared to SpaceX’s Falcon 9 rocket, which can put up more than 50,000 pounds into low Earth orbit.

But still...

good luck
macnuke Afar
all those blades going round and round...

I see no problem approaching a parachuting object.
I see no problem getting overhead to a rocket decelerating.
peice of cake and good luck with that.

something about fecal matter and rotary impeller device meeting comes to mind.
ukimalefu posted:

Wow, seven times.

Ok, they have a small rocket

...don't hate on Rocket Lab, it's one of my favorite space tech companies. Their 3d printed Rutherford engine driven by an electric pump (both being space tech firsts), to Photon (their sat bus kicker stage) which allows you to focus on your hardware you are sending up and not worry about having to integration it for use on a 3rd party bus. Plus they nickname all their missions which IMO if you were to watch one you can see they are one of the best mission control launch streams available (amazing sound and multiple cameras and informative about the payload[s] aboard). Not to mention they literally own the SLV market.

So for the electron being slated for testing of reuse recovery via mid air recovery (which maybe after 4 or 5 missions of data gathering they will have the data and confidence to put it into action) is pretty neat. I don't know what the details are for what's planned on being reused (the entire lower stage, the engines only, the stage tank with the engines replaced, idk). Being 3D printed, should be interesting to see if the entire stage is able to undergo refurbishment, ofc that's a while away but those NZ folks always amaze me (I think everything they do is so top notch because they are proud to be the space tech representative for their Nation [& hemisphere!]).
ukimalefu Rebel? resistance? why not both?
wut? I don't hate them

but the whole catching the thing in mid air with a helicopter... that's crazy. Helicopter-parachutes-wind.... crazy!

Last edited by ukimalefu on Wed Aug 07, 2019 7:12 pm.

Pariah Know Your Enemy
ukimalefu posted:
wut? I don't hate them

but the whole catching the thing in mid air with a helicopter... that's crazy. Helicoper-parachutes-wind.... crazy!

Ya, that seems like very butt clinching thing to try. So much to go wrong, so little margin for error. :eek:
macnuke Afar
Pariah posted:
ukimalefu posted:
wut? I don't hate them

but the whole catching the thing in mid air with a helicopter... that's crazy. Helicoper-parachutes-wind.... crazy!

Ya, that seems like very butt clinching thing to try. So much to go wrong, so little margin for error. :eek:

like Said.... the human waste WILL hit the fan
Subsequent topic  /  Preceding topic

Welcome to rocket circus