Anybody want a free E-ZPass?

Online now: Google [Bot], Kirk, maurvir
Vulture 420
Some guy's E-ZPass and all related E-ZPass mail came to my address, but he does not live here, and the address is my address except that it has the letter A after the street number, which also is not correct. I don't know where this guy actually lives or how to contact him. So, who wants it? :p
TOS
might i ask ... what's an e-z pass?
maurvir Steamed meat popsicle
It's a toll road identification thing. It lets you go through toll gates without stopping by letting them deduct from your account.
Considering the prevalence of vehicle license plate reader systems throughout the US and willingness of police to use such, I suspect that the first time that this E-ZPass is used it will get immediately flagged as a violation because the user's license plate fails to match the E-ZPass' registered plate.

Aren't these systems strictly local and have a limited lifespan of about a year? It isn't as if Vulture could send it to me in LA and I would be able to use it on the extensive rush-hour-based toll road system here.

It's a nice thought, Vulture, but I think it would be best to simply return it to your local DMV office. If asked, you can explain that it showed up in your mailbox and because "I order a bunch of stuff online" you had assumed that it had been addressed to you despite its address label (personally I ALWAYS check the address before opening ANY mail).
Vulture 420
You're right, E-ZPass only works in about 15 states across the east coast, down to about Virginia. I haven't opened any of the mail, its all still sealed, and it has my address on it, just the wrong name. I'm sure if you wanted to use it, or I, it would immediately get me in trouble unless I wore a mask and took off my license plates and drove a very common, unidentifiable car. I think I'll have to call E-ZPass and ask them what they want me to do with this tag.
Again, considering the use of license plate readers, any vehicle WITHOUT a license plate would be more likely to get flagged for immediate investigation by police, as opposed to being cited as a ticket violation to be sent in the mail.
Vulture 420
Many law-breaking people use plate covers that obscure the plates from traffic cameras, at their own risk. Some states don't require you to have front and back plates (NY does, sorry luxury car owners who hate front plates), so all you'd need is to have one camera obscured plate in the back in a common, non-unique vehicle. THis has been going on for decades in NY, not sure what other states are like.
Well, any sort of license plate obscuration would at least indicate that the vehicle probably HAS plates on it even if unreadable by license plate reading systems (and there is some question about how effective these obscuration systems are). This is much different from the removal of plates which would likely be tagged by such readers as suspicious behavior.
Vulture 420
18 states mostly in the southeast don't require a front plate. Another thing people do is just put an unrelated plate on the back when a car is not registered and they need to drive it somewhere while gambling that they won't get pulled over for any reason.
On my Focus I got a European style plate that has the same number as my real plate and it looked nice. We don't require front plates in Alberta, but it felt like it needed something.

Séamas Honorary Consul General
DEyncourt posted:
Considering the prevalence of vehicle license plate reader systems throughout the US and willingness of police to use such, I suspect that the first time that this E-ZPass is used it will get immediately flagged as a violation because the user's license plate fails to match the E-ZPass' registered plate.

Hmm. I have to look into this. We have had EZ pass for years and have on occasion recently put it in our other car. I don't real any issues, though now both cars have new plates and perhaps the plates were scanned as opposed to the gadget.
Séamas posted:
DEyncourt posted:

Hmm. I have to look into this. We have had EZ pass for years and have on occasion recently put it in our other car. I don't real any issues, though now both cars have new plates and perhaps the plates were scanned as opposed to the gadget.

Please understand that my observation was based on law enforcement in and around LA. Now that I have at least a glancing understanding of other systems, it is obvious that different law enforcement districts enforce different laws and behaviors such as (not) caring if a given E-ZPass has been relocated to another vehicle for which that Pass was not originally registered. Having to deal with E-ZPass in LA I suspect that the local authorities WILL care and thus issue tickets and fines to such violators.
maurvir Steamed meat popsicle
You can lend an E-ZPass to someone so long as the vehicle type is the same. (You can't move one from a passenger vehicle to a bus, for example) My in-laws would routinely borrow one of my BIL's transponders when they visited. (They live near Tulsa) So, at least in Oklahoma, there is no problem with using an E-ZPass that isn't yours so long as the account it is tied to is still active.

Which, btw, is probably the real problem here. The pass itself is just a transponder with a code tied to an account number. It isn't free in itself, but it also isn't magic. You would need an account tied to it. So, unless you are planning to screw over its rightful owner, which would be a crime, it's a bit useless unless you plan to add it to your own account. As an aside, the transponder runs between $10 and $15, so hardly worth the effort.
Vulture 420
Yes, the idea was to completely screw over the innocent victim whose account is new and ready to be charged for use in NY. So, who wants it? :p

In seriousness, however, the first thing I'll do is catch the mail carrier and ask if they will take the unopened mail and just return to sender. If that doesn't work, then I'll waste time over the phone with E-ZPass when I feel like it.
Subsequent topic  /  Preceding topic

Anybody want a free E-ZPass?