electric planes are the future

Online now: Google [Bot], j_tso, Majestic-12 [Bot]
TOS
all-electric jet company has started taking orders

Quote:
Eviation is developing a nine-passenger aircraft designed to fly up to 650 miles at around 240 knots (276 miles per hour). A commercial jet would cruise around 500 miles per hour. The electric plane — called Alice with a prototype being unveiled at the show this week — is designed for the sort of distances usually conducted by train.

Cape Air is set to buy a “double-digit” number of the plane which has a list price of around $4 million each. It’s expected that any customer would be able to negotiate a smaller figure.

The company’s chief executive, Omer Bar-Yohay, told a press conference Tuesday that he expected to receive certification by late 2021, with deliveries predicted for 2022.

Pariah Know Your Enemy
Mmmm a whisper quiet exec plane, nice.
juice Inadvertently correct
Executives should fly commercial and use the savings to pay employees a living wage
ukimalefu Rebel? resistance? why not both?
looks cool but, "jet" company?

Quote:
650 miles at around 240 knots (276 miles per hour)

how does that compare to a plane of similar capability?

what about a plane of similar cost?

does anybody think personal flying vehicles will ever be a thing? they were promising that by the end of world war II, "everybody will have an helicopter" (my source on that is a reader's digest article, from the late 40s, in spanish)

By the way, Elon Musk said he'll fly us around the world in rockets. Go have lunch in Paris and return the same day.
Pariah Know Your Enemy
The only way we could ever have personal flying vehicle like we have cars is if they were all coordinated by a sentient AI network.
I think I'd name it Sky Net.
dv
ukimalefu posted:
looks cool but, "jet" company?

Quote:
650 miles at around 240 knots (276 miles per hour)

how does that compare to a plane of similar capability?

what about a plane of similar cost?

does anybody think personal flying vehicles will ever be a thing? they were promising that by the end of world war II, "everybody will have an helicopter" (my source on that is a reader's digest article, from the late 40s, in spanish)

By the way, Elon Musk said he'll fly us around the world in rockets. Go have lunch in Paris and return the same day.

The range, speed, and the fact that it's prop-driven would put it in competition with recreational/utility private aircraft like the Cessna 172, which are sometimes used for work-related transportation by wealthy people with more money than time. (I worked with two of them, and have an uncle with a Beechcraft. They expense or tax-deduct their flight hours when traveling for work, I guess. So there's some incentive.)

The cost is 10-20x higher than the traditional gas-burning aircraft. Then again, the existence of perfectly good $10k used cars doesn't seem to be hurting Tesla any, either.
Subsequent topic  /  Preceding topic

electric planes are the future