Caffeine: How Much is Too Much?

Online now: Bing (sucks), Google [Bot], Vulture
ukimalefu Rebel? resistance? why not both?

Smaller number indicates the STRONGEST beverage, look at the subtitle: "Number of servings to exceed recommended daily safe dosage.

Or if you prefer, highest number = strongest drink:

Source for charts:
https://www.reddit.com/r/dataisbeautifu ... _too_much/

data from:
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articl ... /table/T2/

The Mayo Clinic determined that healthy adults can safely ingest about 400 milligrams of caffeine per day

https://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-life ... t-20045678
Metacell Chocolate Brahma
There is both a cocaine and speed energy drink? What happens if you drink them both?
Metacell posted:
There is both a cocaine and speed energy drink? What happens if you drink them both?

Pariah Know Your Enemy
The charts actually understate the problem, many of the energy drinks that I have seen claim one can is 2 or 3 servings when everyone always just guzzles down the whole can.
Like with so many food and drinks, the "serving size" specified by the manufacturer often have little relationship to how those food and drinks are typically consumed.
juice Inadvertently correct
Energy drinks should be illegal. Poison.
justine Elitist Beer Lover
My top 2 drinks are Rage and Bang :D
BTW, i just checked. Rage and Bang both are 1 serving per can.
Pariah Know Your Enemy
justine posted:
BTW, i just checked. Rage and Bang both are 1 serving per can.

If adults want to drink energy drinks, that's fine. Personally I hate them. I tried a couple of them and they both made me feel like I was going to have a heart attack and I don't have any heart problems. I suspect the culprit is the Guarana that is in the drinks because caffeine never bothers me.
I wonder if the caffeine similar compounds theophylline and theobromine that are in Guarana are factored into these charts. Are they still putting Ephedra in energy drinks? That human waste is rocket fuel.
I definitely think energy drinks should be restricted to 18+ sales. I have been troubled when I see grade school age kids getting that stuff. I would never let a child of mine drink that crap.
Neither Rage or Bang have gurana, but they have the highest caffeine content i've seen in energy drinks. 300mg
juice Inadvertently correct
I only like Rage Against The Machine
They don't list this

tastes like Phthalo Blue + Titanium White ;)

yes, it's a real thing you can buy

https://www.vat19.com/item/bob-ross-pos ... ergy-drink
dv
They apparently consider 400mg the safe dosage. That's like a single large (20oz) Starbucks. Pisser.
dv posted:
They apparently consider 400mg the safe dosage. That's like a single large (20oz) Starbucks. Pisser.

close, but dude, the chart is right there!

1.5 starbucks tall coffee needed to exceed daily recommended daily safe dosage.

I'm sure many people exceed the daily recommended daily safe dosage.

Also, it's not the same drinking whatever much all at once, that spread over several hours.

Most I've drank in one sitting/whole day is two 8 oz cups of black coffee, I have a moka pot, and woohoo! that's enough.
dv
ukimalefu posted:
dv posted:

Also, it's not the same drinking whatever much all at once, that spread over several hours.

Most I've drank in one sitting/whole day is two 8 oz cups of black coffee, I have a moka pot, and woohoo! that's enough.

Sarbucks "tall" is the small size (12oz). Large (20oz) is "venti"; they didn't include it on the chart. It has 415mg of caffeine, according to google.

My housemate and I brew a 64oz carafe in the morning and drain it before we leave the house. More caffeine happens later.

We are working our way up to Theodore Roosevelt levels of caffeine intake.
dv posted:
ukimalefu posted:
dv posted:

Sarbucks "tall" is the small size (12oz). Large (20oz) is "venti"; they didn't include it on the chart. It has 415mg of caffeine, according to google.

My housemate and I brew a 64oz carafe in the morning and drain it before we leave the house. More caffeine happens later.

dv
ukimalefu posted:
dv posted:
ukimalefu posted:
dv posted:

Amateur. :lol:
I keep saying Rage. It's Raze! LOL
dv, caffeine content in coffee depends on the kind of coffee.
I love coffee. I DRINK IT A LOT!
Pariah Know Your Enemy
I drink right around the recommended limit every morning, I used to drink a hell of a lot more when I used to drink coffee all day.
TOS
i have maybe two cups of black tea per day

three if i'm feeling wild and crazy
Dan Airman Dan
justine posted:
dv, caffeine content in coffee depends on the kind of coffee.

Somewhat against what most people think, the higher caffeine coffees are the lighter roasts.

BANG is my go-to as well. Their standard energy drink options taste like battery acid, but the iced coffee and tea substitutes are quite palatable.
Pariah Know Your Enemy
TOS posted:

I used to drink black tea and really liked it but then I went a few years without drinking it and then ordered some at a coffee shop. It tasted great and made me almost immediately sick to my stomach, projectile vomiting sick. I tried drinking some at a friends house some months latter thinking the last time was a fluke, but no, same result.
It seems for some reason I developed a violent allergic reaction to black tea. Weird.
TOS
Pariah posted:
TOS posted:

I used to drink black tea and really liked it but then I went a few years without drinking it and then ordered some at a coffee shop. It tasted great and made me almost immediately sick to my stomach, projectile vomiting sick. I tried drinking some at a friends house some months latter thinking the last time was a fluke, but no, same result.
It seems for some reason I developed a violent allergic reaction to black tea. Weird.

that is very weird

kudos though for not dying
Lombo Opiofiend
I love Rockstar Killer Grape flavour. And I guzzle them down like there was no tomorrow. It gives me a buzz reminiscent of meta amphétamine.
Pariah Know Your Enemy
Lombo posted:
I love Rockstar Killer Grape flavour. And I guzzle them down like there was no tomorrow. It gives me a buzz reminiscent of meta amphétamine.

What is meta amphetamine?
jkahless Custom Title
Pariah posted:
Lombo posted:

It’s like meth, but you have an unshakable feeling that you’re actually in a TV show about your life, and someone’s about to call CUT! at any second but then you’d wake up and would that be the same person that you were before, because who dreams really, the dream or the dreamer? Of course that’s a great Star Trek episode, with doctor maccoy, who is the real maccoy, my boy maccoy, ahoy. Do you want to go for seafood?
Pariah Know Your Enemy
jkahless posted:
Pariah posted:
Lombo posted:

It’s like meth, but you have an unshakable feeling that you’re actually in a TV show about your life, and someone’s about to call CUT! at any second but then you’d wake up and would that be the same person that you were before, because who dreams really, the dream or the dreamer? Of course that’s a great Star Trek episode, with doctor maccoy, who is the real maccoy, my boy maccoy, ahoy. Do you want to go for seafood?

LOL, so basically the same as MDMA?
C. Ives Lacks Critical stick fiddling Thinking
During the school year I drink about a pot of coffee in the morning and then nothing in the afternoon.

Now that summer has rolled around I've cut back to about ½ pot of coffee.

Mmm...coffee... :love:
It's funny that Raze isn't on the list, and it's got the high caffeine content that Bang does.
Metacell Chocolate Brahma
I switched to one of those little 2 cup pots so I wouldn't drink 16 cups a day.
Robert B. Dandy Highwayman
You don't tell me how much is too much, MAAAAANNN!!
Dan Airman Dan
C. Ives posted:
During the school year I drink about a pot of coffee in the morning and then nothing in the afternoon.

I guess you must have an 8th position.
Séamas Honorary Consul General
About a dozen years ago I was drinking about a half gallon of coffee a day. Now I am down to 20 oz. pus an occasional afternoon cup.

I tried a Red Bull last summer driving from SC to NY in one leg. I really cannot imagine ever drinking one again. Powerfully awful.
Seamas: i know a lot of people that drink RB, but yeah, it's horrible stuff.
Vulture 420
Once I found this, I've never looked back.

gd Hero of Twilight
C. Ives posted:

I’ve always heard that coffee in the mainland is watered down and that our stuff is much stronger, I didn’t think it was that watered down.

I’m good to go with just a mere cup of coffee each morning during the school year. It gets me through the day. Now in summer, I’ve had coffee, every couple of days.

Let’s see if the clinic increases my coffee consumption this year.
dv
gd posted:
C. Ives posted:

I’ve always heard that coffee in the mainland is watered down and that our stuff is much stronger, I didn’t think it was that watered down.

I’m good to go with just a mere cup of coffee each morning during the school year. It gets me through the day. Now in summer, I’ve had coffee, every couple of days.

Let’s see if the clinic increases my coffee consumption this year.

How can it be "watered down" - you put as many or as few grounds in the machine as you want when you make your coffee.

Some of us just have... a problem.
Vulture 420
Off the mainland, I hear they "water down" alcohol with methanol and kill people at resorts.
Subsequent topic  /  Preceding topic

Caffeine: How Much is Too Much?