Well....That Could Have Been Bad.

Online now: Bing (sucks), Google [Bot], j_tso, Majestic-12 [Bot], Vulture
Pariah Know Your Enemy
I jst got back from a walk with Chico and had a little encounter with a really big, blocky Pit bull. I saw him from about a half a block away and noted on the other end of the dogs leach was a boy who was probably about the same weight as the Pit. So as we got closer I am already poised for an out of control big dog encounter because this boy was way too small to be walking a dog of that size.
All along I was keeping an assessing eye on the Pit, reading his body language and everything I saw reassured me this dog was just a big, happy goof-ball so I wasn't worried. Once we closed enough distance what I expected happened and the Pit started dragging the boy in our direction.
Tail wagging, head high, just a dog wanting to say hi. When he was about up to us Chico was getting a bit agitated so I scooped him up with my right arm and in comes the Pit, all waggies and wiggle butt, got me all tangled up in his leash and he jumped up on me so I just started scratching his ears and telling him "it's OK" over and over till the boy got me untangled and dragged the pit away a little. The boy was having a paroxysm of apology and I was settling him down, no harm done but I did put on my "dad" voice and said that he really shouldn't be walking that dog until he is bigger and can control it.
And we went our separate ways.
Thinking about it as we went on I was thinking that it was a damned good thing that I was who they encountered like that.Some who knows Pits and loves the breed, who knows how to read a dogs body language and was able to stay relaxed because while thing got a little awkward with the leash wrapping around my legs, I knew there was no threat when that Pit jumped up on me.
There are lots of dog walkers in this neighborhood so it was just blind luck they ran up on me. This could have been a really dicey situation with someone who might be scared of big dogs or scared ot Pits in particular or just someone prone to panicking.
That Pit was just a big ol' goof, he looked pretty young and didn't know his own strength, the only real problem was that the dog was just way, way too much dog for that young boy to be walking.
I have half a mind to go walking around the side of the subdivision they came from to see if I could't find where the boy and dog live and have a little heart to heart with his parents. Nothing hostile intended, They just need to know about their kid loosing control of that Pit. When ya have a Pit Bull you have to be extra careful because so many people fear them and having one wandering around out of control like that is just asking for trouble.
ukimalefu Rebel? resistance? why not both?
justine Elitist Beer Lover
I probably wouldn't have reacted the same way. Good job!
Subsequent topic  /  Preceding topic

Well....That Could Have Been Bad.