mad magazine, rip

Online now: Google [Bot], Kirk, Warin
TOS
ukimalefu Rebel? resistance? why not both?
This is sad for me, even if I only really know about the old content, haven't seen a new one in years... maybe decades. But MAD was always part of my life.

Recently I was wondering why they didn't just go digital.
obvs precoupado
I guess it's time to worry.
I have this

everything from the first issue to the year 2000

well, I don't exactly have the CDs...

what, me torrent?
iDaemon infinitely loopy
It was Spy vs Spy that charmed me 50 yrs back and that was how Charles Pierce phrased the tweet that alerted me - “Spy vs Spy RIP”

I think he and I are of similar age, and very definitely similar sensibilities.
Metacell Chocolate Brahma
This is the end of American leraticy.
justine Elitist Beer Lover
I honestly thought it went under decades ago.
Pariah Know Your Enemy
justine posted:

Ya, me too.
I was all about Mad when I was a kid. I knew by heart the day of the month that the new Mad came out and always had my little pocket full of change to buy my copy. To me every issue was like a low grade xmass every month. But then I grew into a teen and graduated to The National Lampoon and never looked back.

My sister works at the Ojai Ca post office and she sees Sergio Aragonés regularly when he comes in to pick things up and sends thing off. Sis says he is a really nice guy and is pretty free with giving people little doodles he does.
Pithecanthropus Roast Master
To this day I use one of their jokes. Their parody of Star Wars (this was before it was called "A New Hope", and was just called Star Wars), and the scene in Mos Eisley when we first see the Jedi Mind Trick used, the "these aren't the droids you're looking for" part. When Luke asks how they got past the patrol, Obi Wan answers, "The Force gives you power of the weak minded," and Luke replies, "The Force gives you power over the weak minded." So, whenever I watch the movie, and that scene comes up, that's what I do.

RIP. Mad.
Metacell Chocolate Brahma
justine Elitist Beer Lover
Pariah posted:
justine posted:

Ya, me too.
I was all about Mad when I was a kid. I knew by heart the day of the month that the new Mad came out and always had my little pocket full of change to buy my copy. To me every issue was like a low grade xmass every month. But then I grew into a teen and graduated to The National Lampoon and never looked back.

My sister works at the Ojai Ca post office and she sees Sergio Aragonés regularly when he comes in to pick things up and sends thing off. Sis says he is a really nice guy and is pretty free with giving people little doodles he does.

That's pretty cool.
obvs posted:
I guess it's time to worry.

++
Pariah Know Your Enemy
justine posted:
Pariah posted:
justine posted:

Ya, me too.

That's pretty cool.

According to my sister, Sergio is a fixture in the Ojai community and have lived there forever.

they should have
I would love to meet Sergio! But for something other than MAD. After all, Groo is not mendicant!
Subsequent topic  /  Preceding topic

mad magazine, rip