California 6.4 quake

Online now: j_tso, Vulture
At 10:33 PDT a 6.4 earthquake hit central California (the link is to US Geological Survey's page for this quake). The closest town of any size is Ridgecrest (about 100 miles north of downtown LA). That town exists primarily for personnel working at the China Lake Naval Air Weapons Station which covers most of the surrounding area. The epicenter was inside of that Naval Station with Ridgecrest about 10 miles away to its southwest which has reported scattered damage but so far no injuries or fatalities.

There have been over 140 assorted aftershocks with the biggest of them being 4.5.

Me? I was asleep when the main quake happened. I'm far enough away that likely I would not have noticed.
arkayn Aaarrrggghhhh
I felt nothing here, and I am about 250 miles as the crow flies.
justine Elitist Beer Lover
They felt it as far north as 1 hour south of me. Weird because my friend that lives an hour and a half north of Bakersfield didn't feel much.
I felt it as a gentle rocking. I'm 200 miles west.
ukimalefu Rebel? resistance? why not both?
SO CNN was "exaggerating a bit"? they said "worst earthquake in years!" and showed a house on fire and the usual liquor store with all the broken wine bottles on the floor. But ok, they did say no deads or major injuries reported. And they also mentioned it was "felt" in LA
TOS
my timeline lit up with angelinos being blase and panicky at the same time

Trona, California. Photo taken by San Bernardino County VOAD.

Just tell Superman to make the Earth spin backwards and it'll be good as new.
As measured by the Richter Scale it was the worst quake in 20ish years around Southern California. However it was out in the boonies. Very few humans and their stuff were hurt. Ridgecrest and Trona are small towns and they suffered quite a bit. Governor Newsom declared the area a disaster area and is arranging help. Thankfully because there's so few people its not too hard to fix.
ukimalefu posted:
SO CNN was "exaggerating a bit"? they said "worst earthquake in years!" and showed a house on fire and the usual liquor store with all the broken wine bottles on the floor. But ok, they did say no deads or major injuries reported. And they also mentioned it was "felt" in LA

As Kirk wrote: not much in the immediate area around the epicenter which is manmade to damage.

At my USGS link there is an option to see what other people had reported to the service. The reports range from north of Sacramento (about 320 miles to the NE) to east of Phoenix (about 360 miles ESE) and to just across the US-Mexico border near San Diego (about 220 miles nearly straight south). These are color-coded which indicates a measure of the damage reported, and even still the light damage reports (yellow) seem to be in a circle within 50 miles of the epicenter.

-----

TOS posted:
my timeline lit up with angelinos being blase (second- or more timers) and panicky (first-timers) at the same time

FTFY

Of course that depends on what you call experience.

The last sizable tremor for most people within the Greater Los Angeles Metro Area was the 7.2 quake which hit Mexicali/Calexico on April 4, 2010, but again that was about 190 miles to the SW from me. It was as if some giant gave my sister's house (the family had gathered there for an Easter Sunday party) a single THUMP. While that one "counts" as a quake experience, because of its attenuation due to distance from LA a lot of people wouldn't.

I guess the last quake which truly counted was the 6.7 Northridge quake on January 17, 1994, just over 25 years ago.
I knew people that lost their homes to the Northridge quake. There were no blase old-timers near the epicenter.
Oh wow, even bigger quake just now
Gimme a few minutes to get the USGS info

5.0? That felt a whole lot bigger
arkayn Aaarrrggghhhh
Kirk posted:
Oh wow, even bigger quake just now
Gimme a few minutes to get the USGS info

5.0? That felt a whole lot bigger

I think I just felt that about a couple of minutes ago here, it might have been a shallower quake that spread out more.
Wait, no, it was a 6.9! Data just came up on the USGS site.
That 5.0 must have been a preshock
AND this JUST happened: for about a minute or so there was a tremor that affected me. It was such that I felt my chair seeming to squirm around underneath me for over a minute, and I could hear some creaking in what I presume to be the joints in my roof. So far the USGS site has not yet created any reports.

Ah, a preliminary reading of a 6.9 quake close to the epicenter of that previous quake (which technically makes that earlier quake a foreshock for this greater magnitude quake). Other than the location of the epicenter and the magnitude there are no other details.

I guess if folks in LA yesterday had felt what I just did, then THAT would count as a new quake experience.
and we've had several 4ish aftershocks that I'm not feeling at all.

Uh-oh, those 4.X shocks are further on down the fault line. There may be more big ones ahead of us as this fault unzips.
They just had another big one in Ridgecrest. 6.9 My friend in Hanford had their backyard flooded by their pool.
USGS upgraded the big quake to a 7.1
and there's more small to medium quakes along that fault, spreading away from the central location where they've occurred over the last day and a bit. I'm worried this is going to get worse before it gets better.
arkayn Aaarrrggghhhh
Kirk posted:
USGS upgraded the big quake to a 7.1
and there's more small to medium quakes along that fault, spreading away from the central location where they've occurred over the last day and a bit. I'm worried this is going to get worse before it gets better.

The 7.1 makes more sense on how I felt it 260ish miles away.
There has been a clump of 8 sizable (up to 4.7) aftershocks that happened about 10 miles NW from the main quakes epicenter.

To be sure: it is difficult to make any sort of prediction involving earthquakes considering the many factors which are all but hidden from any detailed analysis, but it might be noted that following that line to the NW that another 100 miles further there is the Mammoth Lakes caldera.
This is how preliminary: I tried to file a "Felt Report" at the USGS site but their page for doing that hasn't yet filled in any details such as location and time for the most recent large quake.
That felt report page isn't working for me either.

The smaller 4ish quakes are happening both northwest and southeast of the 7.1 quake in a line along what I suspect is the fault. That these newer quakes 'broke out' of the relatively small area where all those hundreds of smaller quakes were happening, suggests to me this fault has a lot more unzipping to do before its done.

There was even a 3.1 aftershock all the way down near Victorville and a couple up near Mammoth.
Their Felt Report page is now working, and I filed my report (my first time).
arkayn Aaarrrggghhhh
DEyncourt posted:
Their Felt Report page is now working, and I filed my report (my first time).

I have filed my report as well
Here are two maps showing the epicenters:

Yesterday's 6.4 quake

Today's 7.1 quake

Zooming in you can see that the epicenter for the later quake is about 7 miles to the NW of the earlier quake.
people of California, please don't fall into the sea, thank you very much

The USGS map now shows that there have been close to 600 aftershocks within about 20 miles of the epicenters of the two major quakes and nearly ALL of these following yesterday's 7.1, though to be sure a majority of them were magnitude 3.0 or less (so even a person at the epicenter would not have noticed such).
TOS
guys enough with the quakes
I feel kinda bad because i'm one of those blase old timers, and i experienced the Loma Prieta.
Subsequent topic  /  Preceding topic

California 6.4 quake