DeepNudes - the future is here, but not so hot after all

Online now: Donkey Butter, Google [Bot]
maurvir Steamed meat popsicle
https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/201 ... ess-women/

Quote:
On Wednesday, a Vice article alerted the world to the creation of DeepNude, a computer program that uses neural networks to transform an image of a clothed woman into a realistic rendering of what she might look like naked.

The software attracted widespread condemnation. This is an “invasion of sexual privacy,” legal scholar Danielle Citron told Vice.

The software's anonymous creator explained how it worked to Vice's Samantha Cole:

The software is based on pix2pix, an open-source algorithm developed by University of California, Berkeley researchers in 2017. Pix2pix uses generative adversarial networks (GANs), which work by training an algorithm on a huge dataset of images—in the case of DeepNude, more than 10,000 nude photos of women, the programmer said—and then trying to improve against itself.

macnuke Afar
why use deepnude when the real is probably out there already
macnuke posted:
why use deepnude when the real is probably out there already

This is supposed to create nudes out of user supplied photographs, so you could theoretically "see" the hot girl at the gym naked.
Pariah Know Your Enemy
Aaaand, it's dead...

Quote:
ou might have heard about the infamous AI-powered app called DeepNude. It uses advanced machine learning algorithms to remove clothes from images of women.

The tool was created by an anonymous developer who is believed to be from Estonia. As per the latest updates, the creator has removed the DeepNude app and taken down the website hosting it.

As soon as the news broke out, curious users started to flood Google and other search engines in search of the DeepNude app. People are also trying to find the DeepNude app on platforms like Reddit and 4Chan. But please be informed that the app no longer exists.

https://fossbytes.com/download-deepnude-apk/

I am curious about the app being delivered as an apk. So it was intended to be run on phones??

Last edited by Pariah on Fri Jun 28, 2019 7:05 pm.

ukimalefu want, but shouldn't, may anyway
Legal scholar Danielle Citron never heard of photoshop

fake nudes are nothing new

And they could be inappropriate and offensive, yes, but invasion of privacy? I disagree, a lie about you doesn't affect your privacy.
The original is down, but apparently a lot of folks pirated it before it went away. Also, as Uki points out, this is something you could do in Photoshop long ago. Except now you can do it with zero skill and get very believable results.

The price of entry for this stuff is rapidly approaching zero.
Pariah posted:
Aaaand, it's dead...

Quote:
ou might have heard about the infamous AI-powered app called DeepNude. It uses advanced machine learning algorithms to remove clothes from images of women.

The tool was created by an anonymous developer who is believed to be from Estonia. As per the latest updates, the creator has removed the DeepNude app and taken down the website hosting it.

As soon as the news broke out, curious users started to flood Google and other search engines in search of the DeepNude app. People are also trying to find the DeepNude app on platforms like Reddit and 4Chan. But please be informed that the app no longer exists.

https://fossbytes.com/download-deepnude-apk/

I searched the piratebay and got 2 results. It's for windows, so I couldn't use it if I wanted to.

"No longer exists"? because they shut down the website? that's not how the internet works. That's not how computer software works. It only takes one copy to get out and go viral.
Pariah Know Your Enemy
maurvir posted:
The original is down, but apparently a lot of folks pirated it before it went away. Also, as Uki points out, this is something you could do in Photoshop long ago. Except now you can do it with zero skill and get very believable results.

I think the distinction between DeeepNudes and Photoshop is while it is easy to do a face swap in Photoshop, DeepNudes promised to make an approximation of the targets actual nude body.
Pariah posted:
maurvir posted:

I think the distinction between DeeepNudes and Photoshop is while it is easy to do a face swap in Photoshop, DeepNudes promised to make an approximation of the targets actual nude body.

Yeah, it used the latest GAN learning algorithms to mold a nude texture on your particular woman's body. I haven't seen the output, but apparently it was good enough to get people hot and bothered by it.

A part of me regrets the author's decision to take it down. We are, as a society, going to have to address this technology at some point, and this might have been that pivotal moment. In a way, it might lead to a future where nudity is no longer sexualized, which might actually be a good thing. Of course, a lot of people would get the privacy violated along the way, which would not be a good thing.
maurvir posted:

Yeah, it used the latest GAN learning algorithms to mold a nude texture on your particular woman's body.

oh? that would be new, the one's I've seen, some of the first that came out, had the person's face attached to a random nude body. So even in the best examples, you still knew it was a fake. The whole body and movements and locaciton were off, weird looking, very uncanny valley kind of thing.

But I suppose the technology would improve over time.
C. Ives Lacks Critical stick fiddling Thinking
maurvir posted:
A part of me regrets the author's decision to take it down. We are, as a society, going to have to address this technology at some point, and this might have been that pivotal moment. In a way, it might lead to a future where nudity is no longer sexualized, which might actually be a good thing. Of course, a lot of people would get the privacy violated along the way, which would not be a good thing.

You can bet it will be back, and soon.
Robert B. Dandy Highwayman
Now THIS is what Google Glass was made for.
juice Inadvertently correct
The problem is, I don’t want to see most people naked.
I'm thinking it matches shapes and sizes, but I don't think there's a way to determine the details.
Old Yoda agitator
Try it with a burqa wearer.
juice posted:
The problem is, I don’t want to see most people naked.

True, dat.
j_tso posted:
I'm thinking it matches shapes and sizes, but I don't think there's a way to determine the details.

Almost certainly so. I'd want to test this by getting a pic of an animal and see what DeepNudes does with THAT.

For a tougher assignment, get a pic from that poster who dressed up her small dog (possibly a Scottish Terrier?) in a "suit" that covers her pup's forelegs so when pics/videos are taken of her dog straight from his front, it appears to be a small person walking towards the viewer. The result could be funny.
You'd get an ancient Egyptian dog god.

Quote:
The software focused on women because it was easier to find pictures of nude women, the programmer said. If you run the program on a clothed picture of a man, it will depict him naked with female private parts.

C. Ives Lacks Critical stick fiddling Thinking
So I hopped onto a certain board known for seedy crap where they were posting pics from this app (You could upload a photo and someone would run it through the app. No, I did not partake.) Almost without exception they were comically bad.
Pariah Know Your Enemy
C. Ives posted:
So I hopped onto a certain board known for seedy crap where they were posting pics from this app (You could upload a photo and someone would run it through the app. No, I did not partake.) Almost without exception they were comically bad.

Ya, it is fair to say this technology has a long way to go.

that, but in an "augmented reality" app for your phone.

In fact, someone should make a joke app like that, if there isn't one already. Apple would probably reject it, so it would have to be android I guess. Steal my idea.
dv

as with most technologies, it's only once it is available to the masses that we find out what the technology was truly meant to do.
Pariah Know Your Enemy
This is going to end up like voice recognition where it turned out that the only way it can really work is with a massive server backend.
Subsequent topic  /  Preceding topic

DeepNudes - the future is here, but not so hot after all