Looking for 'hidden consciousness' in coma patients

Online now: No visible users
maurvir Steamed meat popsicle
https://www.npr.org/sections/health-sho ... d-patients

Quote:
Patients who are brain-injured and unresponsive may appear unconscious, but a study published Wednesday in the New England Journal of Medicine repurposed a widely-used technology to demonstrate that the brains of some of these patients are still active.

The researchers used electroencephalography or EEG to look for signs of brain activity in a group of brain-injured patients, finding that 15% of those studied had residual activity despite being unable to speak or move.

EEG is already used to diagnose epilepsy and other brain disorders, but this study shows that EEG recordings can be used to detect what some researchers call "preserved consciousness" in some unresponsive patients with a severe brain injury. This method might make it easier for doctors to predict whether a brain-injured patient will wake up from a coma and might help inform decisions related to withdrawal of life-support.

"I think this is a landmark study with the potential to impact clinical practice." says Dr. Brian Edlow, director of the Laboratory for NeuroImaging of Coma and Consciousness at Massachusetts General Hospital, who was not involved with this research. "Because EEG can be performed at the bedside, I think it has the potential to be generalized in ICUs around the world."

An interesting development, and one which will hopefully help families make better decisions about loved ones with traumatic brain injuries.
C. Ives Lacks Critical stick fiddling Thinking
That sounds like a living nightmare. Pull the plug on me, please.
macnuke Afar
common fact that isn't ever published due to ... well itself.

families... do whatever it takes to save our beloved.

faced with hard data that that body in the bed will never ever be anything more than a body in the bed.....
no. it's grannie.... you save her.. you keep her on the vent.. you maintain all life support.. we will be praying.

6 months later.... body with bedsores.. immobile in most joints....

we are praying.. keep her alive.
it's OK.. the hospital eats those costs.
that's a bill that will never collect a single dime.
but grannie is NOT dead.

even though EEG, Nuclear Medicine, MRI, CT all say the same thing. there isn't a drop of blood making it into the brain.
maurvir Steamed meat popsicle
macnuke posted:

faced with hard data that that body in the bed will never ever be anything more than a body in the bed.....
no. it's grannie.... you save her.. you keep her on the vent.. you maintain all life support.. we will be praying.

but grannie is NOT dead.

even though EEG, Nuclear Medicine, MRI, CT all say the same thing. there isn't a drop of blood making it into the brain.

She can still vote Republican, though, and that's enough for a lot of families.
dv
Something something dead salmon brain activity something something.
TOS
no one thought to check their brainwaves before?
macnuke Afar
yes they did... but it's american medicine.. research isn't for a cure.. it's for new ways to enhance the shareholder value.
best method = highest reimbursement
Pariah Know Your Enemy
macnuke posted:

but grannie is NOT dead.

Not my family.
I killed both my parents.
dv
Pariah posted:
macnuke posted:

but grannie is NOT dead.

Not my family.
I killed both my parents.

You shouldn't take credit for things you didn't do. :squint:
Metacell Chocolate Brahma
People need to stop being so afraid of death. There are many forms of life which are worse than death.
Subsequent topic  /  Preceding topic

Looking for 'hidden consciousness' in coma patients