Beth Mole reports on the crappy downsides of FMT

Online now: Yori
maurvir Steamed meat popsicle
https://arstechnica.com/science/2019/06 ... t-warning/

Quote:
One patient has died and another became seriously ill after fecal transplants inadvertently seeded their innards with a multi-drug resistant bacterial infection, the Food and Drug Administration warned Thursday.

The cases highlight the grave risks of what some consider a relatively safe procedure. They also call attention to the mucky issues of federal oversight for the experimental transplants, which the FDA has struggled to regulate. In its warning Thursday, the agency announced new protections for trials and experimental uses of the procedure.

... human waste
macnuke Afar
what part of pumping human waste down someones throat wasn't understood in the first place.
dv
macnuke posted:
what part of pumping human waste down someones throat wasn't understood in the first place.

I thought you pumped it "up" via enema.

This is like blood transfusions in the '80s - you get what you get from whoever you get it from; and god help you.

Sounds like there's a lot of info they're not releasing for some reason or another. Giving bacteria you got from some rando, without testing, to immunocompromised people, doesn't sound smart.
macnuke Afar
there are two ways to deliver...up and down.

either way.. pun not intended..... its still the shits.

considering the reason for it. it's really the shits.
I think it only works down. If you swallow it it will eventually pass through your entire system, but if you squirt it up your ass no matter how long of a hose you use the bacteria will only be in contact with the lower part of your intestines.
Betonhaus posted:
I think it only works down. If you swallow it it will eventually pass through your entire system, but if you squirt it up your ass no matter how long of a hose you use the bacteria will only be in contact with the lower part of your intestines.

I haven't looked into it, but I believe you are given the equivalent of a high colonic, which should coat most of your large intestine.
dv
Betonhaus posted:

You don't know what you are talking about.
juice Inadvertently correct
dv posted:
Betonhaus posted:

As usual
juice posted:
dv posted:
Betonhaus posted:

As usual

And yet he missed the opportunity for something like a "full of human waste" burn.
macnuke Afar
do you think bacteria is going to sit in one spot and head to the anus? the large intestine absorbs liquids ( when it's healthy).. so why would bacteria not be absorbed... and circulated throughout the body via the bloodstream.
TOS
it was my understanding they used the equivalent of "banks" and employed lots of screening
macnuke Afar
nope.. the preference is human waste from a family member
macnuke posted:

What if you are already tired of human waste from your family members?
macnuke Afar
maurvir posted:
macnuke posted:

What if you are already tired of human waste from your family members?

then you just keep on wasting water. and probably perf a bowel.. and if you don't get treatment.. die.. or eat human waste and hope for the best.
Subsequent topic  /  Preceding topic

Beth Mole reports on the crappy downsides of FMT