World Cup 2019

Online now: Pariah
Robert B. Dandy Highwayman
Match Schedule

France gets a good start today with 4-0 over Korea Republic. Ouch, but France is expected to rule this tournament.

Team USA, despite being probably the best USA women's squad ever, is predicted to lose to France in the quarterfinal. In group stage, Team USA will likely breeze through Thailand and Chile, with Sweden being their only real threat.

Team Brazil is drawing poor predictions, with some lackluster play and injuries to star player, Marta, who is rumored to have remarked this will be the worst Team Brazil she has ever played with.

Last edited by Robert B. on Sat Jun 08, 2019 2:43 am.

Germany 1, China 0
Further exemplifying unequal treatment to women's sports, ESPN is showing none of these games. I'm watching everything on Telemundo.
ukimalefu Rebel? resistance? why not both?
Robert B. posted:
Further exemplifying unequal treatment to women's sports, ESPN is showing none of these games. I'm watching everything on Telemundo.

well, yeah, but you're also talking about real football

ok, soccer

The weirdest thing is that as far as I know, it is in the US where soccer is very popular with girls.
dv
ukimalefu posted:
Robert B. posted:

ok, soccer

The weirdest thing is that as far as I know, it is in the US where soccer is very popular with girls.

Isn't it pretty much popular everywhere with both genders? It's just the US where boys have this... problem.
user Stupid cockwomble
It doesn't depend on raw physical impact.

American football is a very stupid game.
ukimalefu Rebel? resistance? why not both?
dv posted:
ukimalefu posted:
Robert B. posted:

ok, soccer

Isn't it pretty much popular everywhere with both genders? It's just the US where boys have this... problem.

Maybe I'm just out of the loop these days. I have not cared much about "traditional" sports in a long time. Growing up I played soccer, and never knew about actual women's soccer teams.

I do know women's soccer is a thing now.
Pariah Know Your Enemy
dv posted:
ukimalefu posted:
Robert B. posted:

ok, soccer

I am pretty sure soccer is by a significant margin the most popular youth participation sport in the USA and has been for a long time. But for some reason this has not translated into an audience for Pro soccer.
All the assorted ball sports bore me so I can offer no explanation.
dv
Pariah posted:
dv posted:
ukimalefu posted:
Robert B. posted:

ok, soccer

I am pretty sure soccer is by a significant margin the most popular youth participation sport in the USA and has been for a long time. But for some reason this has not translated into an audience for Pro soccer.
All the assorted ball sports bore me so I can offer no explanation.

https://www.livestrong.com/article/9994 ... th-sports/

Nope. Although it gets the "fastest growing" distinction.
user Stupid cockwomble
I had soccer in grade school - ONE day.

Ran myself ragged but I was happy because, for once, everybody else didn't know how to play it, either.

The next day they went back to football.
Old Yoda agitator
Had a partial soccer scholarship my first year in college.
I am not a very good player but knew how to play; played in the streets as far back as I can remember.

As an aside note, when it came to baseball, my regular position was curtesy runner!
US (2nd ranked this tournament) vs Thailand (23rd) match this afternoon.
That was a painful match to watch. Loose marking, a disorganized midfield, no support for the forwards. Thailand was definitely outclassed. Yikes.

U.S. women make opening statement with record rout of Thailand

Highlights

Many teams are expected to emulate Sweden's Olympic strategy which knocked out the US by hunkering down and defending to stretch the game into the penalty kicks phase. We expected to see the US come out this tournament lining up with a stronger offense and solid midfield. It's doing that.
Subsequent topic  /  Preceding topic

World Cup 2019