World Cup 2019

Online now: Bing (sucks), Google [Bot], j_tso, Majestic-12 [Bot], Vulture
Robert B. Dandy Highwayman
Match Schedule

France gets a good start today with 4-0 over Korea Republic. Ouch, but France is expected to rule this tournament.

Team USA, despite being probably the best USA women's squad ever, is predicted to lose to France in the quarterfinal. In group stage, Team USA will likely breeze through Thailand and Chile, with Sweden being their only real threat.

Team Brazil is drawing poor predictions, with some lackluster play and injuries to star player, Marta, who is rumored to have remarked this will be the worst Team Brazil she has ever played with.

Last edited by Robert B. on Sat Jun 08, 2019 2:43 am.

Germany 1, China 0
Further exemplifying unequal treatment to women's sports, ESPN is showing none of these games. I'm watching everything on Telemundo.
ukimalefu Rebel? resistance? why not both?
Robert B. posted:
Further exemplifying unequal treatment to women's sports, ESPN is showing none of these games. I'm watching everything on Telemundo.

well, yeah, but you're also talking about real football

ok, soccer

The weirdest thing is that as far as I know, it is in the US where soccer is very popular with girls.
dv
ukimalefu posted:
Robert B. posted:

ok, soccer

The weirdest thing is that as far as I know, it is in the US where soccer is very popular with girls.

Isn't it pretty much popular everywhere with both genders? It's just the US where boys have this... problem.
user Stupid cockwomble
It doesn't depend on raw physical impact.

American football is a very stupid game.
ukimalefu Rebel? resistance? why not both?
dv posted:
ukimalefu posted:
Robert B. posted:

ok, soccer

Isn't it pretty much popular everywhere with both genders? It's just the US where boys have this... problem.

Maybe I'm just out of the loop these days. I have not cared much about "traditional" sports in a long time. Growing up I played soccer, and never knew about actual women's soccer teams.

I do know women's soccer is a thing now.
Pariah Know Your Enemy
dv posted:
ukimalefu posted:
Robert B. posted:

ok, soccer

I am pretty sure soccer is by a significant margin the most popular youth participation sport in the USA and has been for a long time. But for some reason this has not translated into an audience for Pro soccer.
All the assorted ball sports bore me so I can offer no explanation.
dv
Pariah posted:
dv posted:
ukimalefu posted:
Robert B. posted:

ok, soccer

I am pretty sure soccer is by a significant margin the most popular youth participation sport in the USA and has been for a long time. But for some reason this has not translated into an audience for Pro soccer.
All the assorted ball sports bore me so I can offer no explanation.

https://www.livestrong.com/article/9994 ... th-sports/

Nope. Although it gets the "fastest growing" distinction.
user Stupid cockwomble
I had soccer in grade school - ONE day.

Ran myself ragged but I was happy because, for once, everybody else didn't know how to play it, either.

The next day they went back to football.
Old Yoda agitator
Had a partial soccer scholarship my first year in college.
I am not a very good player but knew how to play; played in the streets as far back as I can remember.

As an aside note, when it came to baseball, my regular position was curtesy runner!
US (2nd ranked this tournament) vs Thailand (23rd) match this afternoon.
That was a painful match to watch. Loose marking, a disorganized midfield, no support for the forwards. Thailand was definitely outclassed. Yikes.

U.S. women make opening statement with record rout of Thailand

Highlights

Many teams are expected to emulate Sweden's Olympic strategy which knocked out the US by hunkering down and defending to stretch the game into the penalty kicks phase. We expected to see the US come out this tournament lining up with a stronger offense and solid midfield. It's doing that.
Quarterfinal on Friday: US v. France. This is the match everybody has been waiting for.
US won.

And you stick fiddlers didn't give a fiddlesticks. uncouth individuals.
macnuke Afar
well I'm not going to the stick fiddling white house.

but I am beating the french
she scored both goals.

I'm not a sports fan Robert.. but I did pay attention after she scored so well with many of us regarding the White House comment

I want another pic of our winners in their sports bras. :up:
Pariah Know Your Enemy
Robert B. posted:
US won.

This is not a hotbed of sportsball fans of any sort.
Robert B. posted:
US won.

It goes deep to how much fucks aren't given. Win 3 world cups and still unlike your male counterpart the athletes on Female Team USA don't get paid for their game if it's a lose or draw, only for wins. And even then their male counterparts who (never won a single world cup) lose a game will receive pay for that game at a rate higher than the Win for the Womens team.
Séamas Honorary Consul General
I completely understand that most of the world loves soccer. Great, wonderful

What I don't understand is the weird amount of emotion conjured by the fact that the USA (and Canada?) isn't as ape human waste about it as they are.
I don't think many Americans --other than people with a financial stake in the operations) give a crap whether Baseball or NFL Football is popular anywhere else--other than the possibility of getting more prospects.

Just about every American under a certain age has played soccer in grade school. I suspect most have spent more hours playing soccer than tackle football.
I know that with the possible exception of volleyball, I probably played more hours of soccer than any other sport in phys ed. I found no other sport nearly as boring.
I think I hated basketball more (because I was lousy and had more opportunity to display my lousiness), But soccer memories are mostly around standing on the field (playing defense) in late Autumn, freezing my ass off waiting for the ball to end up in our end so I could kick it back to the other side.
dv
Soccer is a game where a bunch of people in peak physical condition do wind sprints for three hours and lose 1-0. It's got the worst effort-to-payoff ratio of, like, any sport ever, in the history of all sports.

IMO/IME, it's also incredibly difficult to appreciate as a non-player. As a largely clueless viewer, basketball is more fun to watch (much less sedate passing game) and rugby is friggin hilarious.
DukeofNuke FREE RADICAL
I’ve tried a couple of times to start a thread about March Madness. The replies are always “Meh.” So I gave up.
Pariah Know Your Enemy
If I had to watch a sportsball game I would pick basketball because I am pretty sure that of all the major spectator sports basketball games are the shortest.
Séamas Honorary Consul General
Pariah posted:
If I had to watch a sportsball game I would pick basketball because I am pretty sure that of all the major spectator sports basketball games are the shortest.

Yeah, that or hockey.
NBA games are 48 minutes, NHL are 60 minutes, but there are more clock stoppages in NBA I think so they both typically take on average 2.5 hrs.

Believe it or not, in the 1970s, the average Baseball game was about that long (2.5 hrs).
Now the average is over 3:05.

I go to one or two MLB games each summer (if someone gives me tickets), and the family and I usually hit a minor league game once or twice.

The minor league one is kinda fun. the one near us has a good beer vendor with a decent selection and prices that are about the same as a typical bar. Numerous food vendors as well. (where you can only imagine the price at Yankee Stadium)
Pariah Know Your Enemy
While I am not a sports fan, the sports don't bother me and I used to be able to happily drink beer and watch a football game with fans but I just cannot handle the announcers anymore. I know it may sound crazy to some of the younger peeps here but there was a time when there were actual moments of silence in-between plays sometimes.
Not the frenetic, non-stop blather that goes on today.
Old Yoda agitator
Soccer is popular around the world because millions of kids have been playing in the streets for more than half a century with no equipment. A couple of rocks for goal-posts and a bunch of waded rugs for a ball will do, anything you can kick.

In addition soccer has no time-outs and no overtime. Two 45 minute halfs, penalty kicks decide ties.
Yes, I know how the game is played. Thanks.
Donkey Butter jerk face
Séamas posted:

NBA games are 48 minutes, NHL are 60 minutes, but there are more clock stoppages in NBA I think so they both typically take on average 2.5 hrs.

This is why I like watching soccer, unless it goes into overtime, the game is done in less than 2 hours.

All this timeout crap is so annoying. Tried watching basketball and with less than 2 minutes on the clock, the game was still going 20 minutes later. wtf

American football (gridiron) is worse. I was talked into going to a game once and I swear we were there for 4 hours. never again.
obvs precoupado
American football is just about the most boring thing I have ever watched.
Old Yoda posted:
Soccer is popular around the world because millions of kids have been playing in the streets for more than half a century with no equipment. A couple of rocks for goal-posts and a bunch of waded rugs for a ball will do, anything you can kick.

In addition soccer has no time-outs and no overtime. Two 45 minute halfs, penalty kicks decide ties.

There is stoppage time, set by the refs to make up for stoppages during the game. Not really overtime, but it is longer than the clock measuring the two 45 minute halves.
jkahless Custom Title
DukeofNuke posted:
I’ve tried a couple of times to start a thread about March Madness. The replies are always “Meh.” So I gave up.

Well, football isn’t exactly the most intuitive sportsball game out there, and it’s just so slow to watch with all the commercial breaks.
Pariah Know Your Enemy
obvs posted:
American football is just about the most boring thing I have ever watched.

I agree it is boring but baseball is worse and golf...well, there's just no excuse for that at all.
Duller than proverbial paint.
DukeofNuke FREE RADICAL
jkahless posted:
DukeofNuke posted:

Well, football isn’t exactly the most intuitive sportsball game out there, and it’s just so slow to watch with all the commercial breaks.

Don’t know if you’re joking, so ...
March Madness is the college basketball, single elimination tournament. People fill out brackets and bet on what team will win, which teams will get to the Final Four games, and how many correct predictions they make. THe games are pretty exciting because they are usually fast paced, do-or-die, win or go home, and talented teams from small schools have just as good a chance of beating big school “Blueblood” teams as anyone else.
DukeofNuke FREE RADICAL
Pariah posted:
While I am not a sports fan, the sports don't bother me and I used to be able to happily drink beer and watch a football game with fans but I just cannot handle the announcers anymore. I know it may sound crazy to some of the younger peeps here but there was a time when there were actual moments of silence in-between plays sometimes.
Not the frenetic, non-stop blather that goes on today.

I couldn’t agree more.
In the past I would watch the game on tv, while listening to the play by play on the radio.
Thanks to JAnet JAckson you can’t do that anymore; there’s a 10 second delay on the tv.
jkahless Custom Title
DukeofNuke posted:
jkahless posted:
DukeofNuke posted:

Don’t know if you’re joking, so ...
March Madness is the college basketball, single elimination tournament. People fill out brackets and bet on what team will win, which teams will get to the Final Four games, and how many correct predictions they make. THe games are pretty exciting because they are usually fast paced, do-or-die, win or go home, and talented teams from small schools have just as good a chance of beating big school “Blueblood” teams as anyone else.

Huh. I always assumed it was football.

I get it, it’s like horse racing for the masses. Sounds better than most sports, people take them too seriously when they’re literally games. They’re meant to be fun.
iDaemon infinitely loopy
This team is very strong.
Subsequent topic  /  Preceding topic

World Cup 2019