NASA to allow "private astronauts" onboard the ISS

Online now: Bing (sucks), Google [Bot], j_tso, juice, Majestic-12 [Bot], Vulture
maurvir Steamed meat popsicle
https://arstechnica.com/science/2019/06 ... comments=1

Quote:
Be prepared to pay to reach LEO. The cheapest cargo option is $3,000/kg to get it there, then an additional $3,000/kg to dispose of it in the trash. If you want it back again, that'll be a $6,000/kg return fee, although round trip prices per kg are more expensive if you need power or life support on the way home.

In addition to manufacturing and production, NASA set pricing for space tourists—it’s calling them private astronaut missions—aboard the ISS, too. Regenerative life support and toilet access? That's a snip at $11,250 per crew day. The more expensive "Crew Supplies" option—$22,500—sounds more hospitable, including as it does "food, air, crew provisions, supplies, medical kit, [and] exercise equipment." NASA says it will support up to two short-duration private missions to the ISS each year, and those missions will travel on a US launch vehicle developed under the Commercial Crew program.

I recently read a dystopian novel about a future moon station where people were effectively enslaved by trying to pay off their "air bill". I thought it was a stupid conceit...
That waste of effort needs to burn up in re-entry.
ukimalefu Rebel? resistance? why not both?
Tourists have gone to space before with the russians. I think they paid something like 20 million dollars. But they had to pass cosmonaut training and then work up there doing experiments.
macnuke Afar
Ribtor posted:
That waste of effort needs to burn up in re-entry.

yes
TOS
the damn thing has cost more than the apollo program, and achieved pretty much nothing

it was always political anyways, a make-work program to keep russian experts away from iran and north korea
Séamas Honorary Consul General
I have heard that the first thing you notice when you enter the ISS is the horrid stench.
C. Ives Lacks Critical stick fiddling Thinking
Séamas posted:
I have heard that the first thing you notice when you enter the ISS is the horrid stench.

So it's a middle school?
maurvir Steamed meat popsicle
C. Ives posted:
Séamas posted:

So it's a middle school?

A middle school locker room
Subsequent topic  /  Preceding topic

NASA to allow "private astronauts" onboard the ISS