RIP Dr. John

How's life?
Pithecanthropus
Title: Roast Master

RIP Dr. John

Post by Pithecanthropus »

For me he was the very embodiment of New Orleans music. Sadly, I never got to see him perform.

https://www.npr.org/2019/06/06/73048147 ... dead-at-77
set DeusEx.JCDentonMale bCheatsEnabled true
Pariah
Title: Know Your Enemy

Post by Pariah »

Damn, I always liked him.
I went through a period in highschool when I was all about Dr. John, my friends thought I was such a weirdo.
Good, solid fun music.
Not even duct tape will fix stupid, but it can muffle the sound.
Séamas
Title: Honorary Consul General

Post by Séamas »

Within a week of Leon Redbone--who he once recorded with-but I always thought worked together more than they did. They had a certain crossover imho (though Redbone was not nearly as N'awlins influenced.)

I purchased a bunch of Dr. John's stuff this past February for a Mardi Gras party, always liked him. His part in the Last Waltz is one of my favorites.
And Proteus brought the upright beast into the garden and chained him to a tree and the children did make sport of him.
Pariah
Title: Know Your Enemy

Post by Pariah »

I got into my car and the local NPR station was playing Dr. John. I had forgotten how much I liked his stuff.
I remember how I discovered his music, I was browsing through the $.99 cut out albums when I was around 15 or so and I bought a Dr. John album solely based on the cool cover art. Took it home and tossed it on and was immediately a fan.
A sad day for music indeed.
Not even duct tape will fix stupid, but it can muffle the sound.
DEyncourt

Post by DEyncourt »

While perhaps out of season--but, is well-performed music EVER out of season?--BoingBoing.net posted a link to this video which dates from 1990 of Dr. John and Leon Redbone singing "Frosty the Snowman".

Forgive the opening commercial built into the introduction.
ukimalefu
Title: want, but shouldn't, may anyway

Post by ukimalefu »