RIP Dr. John

Online now: Google [Bot]
Pithecanthropus Roast Master
For me he was the very embodiment of New Orleans music. Sadly, I never got to see him perform.

https://www.npr.org/2019/06/06/73048147 ... dead-at-77
Pariah Know Your Enemy
Damn, I always liked him.
I went through a period in highschool when I was all about Dr. John, my friends thought I was such a weirdo.
Good, solid fun music.
Séamas Honorary Consul General
Within a week of Leon Redbone--who he once recorded with-but I always thought worked together more than they did. They had a certain crossover imho (though Redbone was not nearly as N'awlins influenced.)

I purchased a bunch of Dr. John's stuff this past February for a Mardi Gras party, always liked him. His part in the Last Waltz is one of my favorites.
Pariah Know Your Enemy
I got into my car and the local NPR station was playing Dr. John. I had forgotten how much I liked his stuff.
I remember how I discovered his music, I was browsing through the $.99 cut out albums when I was around 15 or so and I bought a Dr. John album solely based on the cool cover art. Took it home and tossed it on and was immediately a fan.
A sad day for music indeed.
While perhaps out of season--but, is well-performed music EVER out of season?--BoingBoing.net posted a link to this video which dates from 1990 of Dr. John and Leon Redbone singing "Frosty the Snowman".

Forgive the opening commercial built into the introduction.
ukimalefu Rebel? resistance? why not both?
Subsequent topic  /  Preceding topic

RIP Dr. John