Yogurt company, Chobani, has more of a soul than...

Online now: No visible users
maurvir Meat popsicle
the heartless shits running a Rhode Island school district.

https://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing ... ode-island

Quote:
Chobani CEO Hamdi Ulukaya offered to pay off the lunch debts of students in a Rhode Island school district after the district received backlash earlier this week for saying students who owe lunch money would only be served cold sun butter and jelly sandwiches until their balances were paid.

“No child should be facing anything like this,” Ulukaya said in a video shared to Twitter on Thursday afternoon. “I know it breaks our hearts. It breaks many people’s hearts and we need to step up.”

“We’ll take care of this school’s bill because everybody at Chobani was heartbroken and they’re stepping up and they’re going to something about it,” he continued. “But it's just a small one. We need everywhere, everywhere around the country, to eliminate this for all, forever.”

justine Elitist Beer Lover
You know, i believe all kids should be able to eat a hot meal at school for free, but i'm also realistic enough to know the money has to come from somewhere, and not all districts/states can afford it. This has been an issue in the news for several years across many states, but usually about kids being shamed in the lunch line by adult workers. There's been news reports about hot lunch being served and then actually tossed in the trash in front of the child. Any adult that does that, or shames the kids for no money should be fired, and the parents that refuse to pay should be held accountable. If their income isn't low enough to qualify for free or reduced lunches, then they should find the money to feed their kid. Forget going to Starbucks if you can't pay your kids bill, or send them to school with lunch.

From the article "After several days of backlash and a growing GoFundMe campaign, the school district later announced that it had decided it would forgo its new policy of withholding hot lunches from students with debts, according to the Journal."

I' glad that district stepped up, but they probably wouldn't have been able to without the GoFundMe campaign. If the districts can't afford the academic basics like paper and pencils, then why do we assume they have the money to feed all the kids for free? It would be great if schools could afford everything for everyone, but that's just not the reality.

In my area, we are lucky that even throughout the summer, kids are able to go to school and get breakfast and lunch for free, regardless of whether or not they go to the school. This may stop, though, since the state may be taking over the district if they can't get a budget going and pay off their bills. I don't know where that money comes from, though. They just announced they're laying off almost 22 employees (ie teachers) in the district, too.

I don't have an answer for this, but i do know that schools need to figure out a way to handle this. We don't have all the fund raisers we used to. In fact, my granddaughter is doing her DC trip shortly, and they had to pay for it all out of pocket via a monthly payment. A very high monthly payment. No fund raisers to help supplement the costs, effectively excluding low income families from participating. I know one woman that's a single mother that threatened and harassed her sons school until they came of with a couple of fundraisers to help the kids offset the cost.

Oh, this went way too long. Maybe the schools (or PTA) should create some kind of meal account that they can pull from when i kids parents don't pay. The kid still gets a hot meal and the school can still go after the parents.

So yeah, good on Chobani, but that still doesn't fix the problems for so many other school districts.
Metacell Chocolate Brahma
There's enough rich people money to pay for all this. In particular, where property taxes pay for schools, rich districts need to share the wealth with neighboring slums instead of the idiotic American system of "were rich so we get to keep all the money!"
maurvir Meat popsicle
justine posted:
There's been news reports about hot lunch being served and then actually tossed in the trash in front of the child. Any adult that does that, or shames the kids for no money should be fired, and the parents that refuse to pay should be held accountable.

This is what public whippings were for back in the day. :goth:

There also isn't a lack of money/resources. There is a lack of will. I can almost guarantee you that there are programs that cost more than school lunches would, are entirely arbitrary/unrelated to academics, but are popular with parents.

Case in point, the local high school near me has several classes in trailers. Presumably so that the students can watch the brand new football stadium being built across the field.
dv
maurvir posted:
justine posted:
There's been news reports about hot lunch being served and then actually tossed in the trash in front of the child. Any adult that does that, or shames the kids for no money should be fired, and the parents that refuse to pay should be held accountable.

There also isn't a lack of money/resources. There is a lack of will. I can almost guarantee you that there are programs that cost more than school lunches would, are entirely arbitrary/unrelated to academics, but are popular with parents.

Case in point, the local high school near me has several classes in trailers. Presumably so that the students can watch the brand new football stadium being built across the field.

"Portable" classrooms have their (temporary) place. High schools? Look at the primary school numbers and residential construction; if you're looking at a decade of declining enrollment, there's no long term justification for building more classrooms. But that doesn't mean that you don't need extra space right now.
maurvir posted:
justine posted:

There also isn't a lack of money/resources. There is a lack of will has been a deliberate campaign to defund public schools.
[snip]

FTFY
macnuke Afar
when my wife was in elementary... she got there early and had breakfast and lunch.. there were days when that was the only two meals she got.
stick fiddlers.
I'll buy Chobani just for that reason alone.
TOS
schools don't do lunches up here

though if a kid is poor then meals can be provided
Subsequent topic  /  Preceding topic

Yogurt company, Chobani, has more of a soul than...