We had a potential jumper

Online now: juice
justine Elitist Beer Lover
I got caught up in a traffic nightmare that went on for 10 hours. I saw and knew he was a jumper before the media reported it. Some things you can just tell. So, here's the back story. I was on my way to my sons house. A 20 minute drive. I got on the freeway and quickly took the off ramp at the same place. I'm one of the luckier ones. So, i decided to take the back way. That's what i call it. It's a main surface street, and i take it a lot. So did a lot of others. I was going to get back on the freeway at the next ramp, and that was where the jumper was. I saw him after saying "holy stick fiddling shite that's a lot of cops". I knew he was a jumper as soon as i saw him, even though the media was reporting an accident. I think if they'd reported a jumper sooner, people wouldn't have gotten on the freeway. Accidents clear up a lot faster. Anyway, i am especially lucky knowing all the back back roads. The roads commuters may not know about. GPS maps and detour signs were clogging up the normal surface streets. It took me an hour and a half to take a 20 minute drive. While i was still driving alongside the freeway, i could see A LOT of car at 2 different ON ramps exiting. They were turning around, and that was no easy task) and going back to where people would normally get on. The freeway was shutdown in both directions, like i said, for 10 hours. I called everyone i knew and told them to find a different way home from work, far off the normal surface streets.

I was following the news all night as people were posting his pics on social media and making comments they wouldn't want said about a family member or friend. I never did find out the end result. My question is, do you think potential jumpers should be charged with something when there's a situation as bad as this? Whether or not they want to die, they clearly need help, but to try in such a public way that impacts others should also have consequences.

On a side note: i kept thinking to myself this is why i always go to the bathroom before leaving the house. All those poor people. And the Carmax dealership thats next to the freeway was handing out ice cold bottles of water to stuck drivers. I know that was a nice gesture, but these people were stuck in traffic that was not going to move anytime soon, and nowhere to pee.
maurvir Meat popsicle
Damn, that really sucks in just about every way.

To answer your question, however, I would say no. People who are at that point in committing suicide are often mentally impaired to the point that they are unable to think clearly. I'm not sure how punishing them helps anyone. Instead, getting them counseling or mental health care, on the other hand, would potentially resolve the issue. For anyone who thinks it might be preventative, re-read the part about how people who are committing suicide aren't in a working frame of mind.

It sucks, but that's part of living in a society.
TOS
don't charge them, no

quite the contrary, there should be more resources available to people in distress, and a broader social acceptance of mental illness and treatment of it (not to mention funding for that treatment)
dv
Yeah, inconvenience on my part doesn't outweigh serious illness or death on somebody else's part. That's the nature of shared spaces.
Séamas Honorary Consul General
I hope the person didn't jump.

I might be mistaken but I think when the authorities are able to talk to the jumper they have a pretty good rate of success of talking them out of jumping.

Suicide is a very sad thing. I don't have much personal understanding of what the suicidal people are going through, but I am very sympathetic.

Billing the ones who don't jump would be a bad idea.
I'm not suicidal, but getting a huge bill for choosing to live would make consider it.
Pariah Know Your Enemy
maurvir posted:

To answer your question, however, I would say no. People who are at that point in committing suicide are often mentally impaired to the point that they are unable to think clearly. I'm not sure how punishing them helps anyone. Instead, getting them counseling or mental health care, on the other hand, would potentially resolve the issue. For anyone who thinks it might be preventative, re-read the part about how people who are committing suicide aren't in a working frame of mind.

A suicide attempt is almost always an acute expression of a chronic problem and very few people who are prevented from killing themselves are wasted about it the next day. The crisis phase is generally fairly short.
That is not always the case but mostly.
Séamas Honorary Consul General
Pariah posted:
maurvir posted:

A suicide attempt is almost always an acute expression of a chronic problem and very few people who are prevented from killing themselves are wasted about it the next day. The crisis phase is generally fairly short.
That is not always the case but mostly.

Also a big reason why access (or lack of) to a firearm is of such concern.
Oh i agree they need help first and foremost, but i don't agree with them doing it in a very public way. IMO, people that do what this man did, don't want to die. They want help. If he wanted to die, he woulda been dead. However, i really hate that someone, mentally ill or not, can take a good portion of people hostage for 10 hours. Yeah, it was an inconvenience to me, but maybe someone else was having an emergency and they were stuck. This was right by a hospital. Even the emergency personal couldn't get thru. Fire and paramedics. I really am kind of split on this, that's why i asked. The above reasons make me incredibly angry, but the other side of me thinks if they're charged with anything, it's just piling onto their problems and may make matters worse.
Pariah Know Your Enemy
justine posted:
Oh i agree they need help first and foremost, but i don't agree with them doing it in a very public way. IMO, people that do what this man did, don't want to die. They want help. If he wanted to die, he woulda been dead. However, i really hate that someone, mentally ill or not, can take a good portion of people hostage for 10 hours. Yeah, it was an inconvenience to me, but maybe someone else was having an emergency and they were stuck. This was right by a hospital. Even the emergency personal couldn't get thru. Fire and paramedics. I really am kind of split on this, that's why i asked. The above reasons make me incredibly angry, but the other side of me thinks if they're charged with anything, it's just piling onto their problems and may make matters worse.

The legal system does not have the tools to deal with mental illness, all they can do is mete out destruction, fines, restrictions, jail time, all of which would make things worse.
Even a "light" sentence can ruin many if not most peoples lives. 30 days in jail will cost most people their jobs, their homes, probably their cars and crash what credit they have. Something that would take a fully functioning person years to dig out of much more with someone also dealing with a mental illness, or any illness for that matter.
user Stupid cockwomble
I doubt he had any concept of taking people hostage. He was in pain. Probably couldn't see much beyond that.
BTW, he didn't die and he was known to one of the cops and was already in the process of getting help.
Subsequent topic  /  Preceding topic

We had a potential jumper