Is hugging strangers appropriate?

How's life?
justine
Title: Elitist Beer Lover

Is hugging strangers appropriate?

Post by justine »

A tv tech is facing a felony charge for hugging a 70 year old woman whose house he was working at. She described it as a tight hug and she was pinned and felt threatened. He described it as a 3 second hug he gives everyone.

I personally don't believe it merits a felony charge, but more of an employer reprimand and possibly some kind of charge for inappropriate touching. However, him hugging her is so wrong on so many levels and i don't know how anyone can possibly try and justify what he did You don't hug strangers. Period. I don't even hug people i know without asking first, aside from family. What if she was a survivor of a violent crime? Not to mention, this woman is 70 ears old!

So what is your take on this?

Linkypoo
"The older i get, the less i care about what people think of me. therefore the older i get, the more i enjoy life."

"Life is so constructed, that the event does not, cannot, will not, match the expectation."
dv

Post by dv »

Hugging strangers is a no-no.
TOS

Post by TOS »

yeah, no

you'd have to a freaking moron not to realize it's not okay these days (if it ever was)
"TOS ain’t havin no horserace round here. “Policies” is the coin of the realm." -- iDaemon
Warin

Post by Warin »

Yeap. Wrong, but felony wrong? You just don’t break other people’s bubbles, especially in what should be a professional encounter.
I'm sorry Dave...
Betonhaus

Post by Betonhaus »

Only in a gay bathhouse.
macnuke
Title: PureBleed

Post by macnuke »

hugs are actually considered an unwanted advance and can be considered sexual harassment.
a letter to his employer would have him out of a job pronto.
you wanna hug? buy a teddy bear.

as Warin stated.. especially in what should be a professional encounter.

There are no illegitimate children...only illegitimate parents.

jkahless
Title: Custom Title

Post by jkahless »

Inappropriate without sufficient social cues, but hardly a crime or even a firing offense without aggravating factors. Different upbringings and cultures lead to very different standards for casual nonsexual physical contact.
macnuke
Title: PureBleed

Post by macnuke »

speaking of 70 year old women.. they get raped too.
sad but true.

and call corporate sometime. ask if it's OK to hug everyone cause you like to hug and see how well that works out.

There are no illegitimate children...only illegitimate parents.

Metacell
Title: Chocolate Brahma

Post by Metacell »

Hugging works like this: you open your arms out forward. If another person wants to be hugged by you, then they initiate the physical contact. Little kids and close friends can be less formal, but not adult strangers.

In some countries, people do NOT touch each other publicly as a general rule.
Remember, people, to forgive is divine. In other words, it ain't human.
Ribtor

Post by Ribtor »

Metacell wrote: Hugging works like this: you open your arms out forward. If another person wants to be hugged by you, then they initiate the physical contact. Little kids and close friends can be less formal, but not adult strangers.

In some countries, people do NOT touch each other publicly as a general rule.

Jerry showed us the way. You grasp their outstretched hands to prevent them coming in for full torso contact.

Pyke notte thy nostrellys
C. Ives
Title: Lacks Critical stick fiddling Thinking

Post by C. Ives »

One of our teachers at work is a hugger. But she's hot, so I don't mind.
All skill is in vain when an angel wastes down the barrel of your rifle.
user
Title: Stupid cockwomble

Post by user »

Never cared much for hugging.
Aw, he's no fun, he fell right over.

Science is Truth for Life. In FORTRAN tongue the Answer.

...so I'm supposed to find the Shadow King from inside a daiquiri?
Metacell
Title: Chocolate Brahma

Post by Metacell »

We all know this epidemic was caused by the "hugs not drugs" movement. Please people, we didn't really mean it. Now go back to your drugs.
Remember, people, to forgive is divine. In other words, it ain't human.
justine
Title: Elitist Beer Lover

Post by justine »

Metacell wrote: We all know this epidemic was caused by the "hugs not drugs" movement. Please people, we didn't really mean it. Now go back to your drugs.

Haha! That's what they're saying about all the stupid challenges, like eating Tide Pods. Why can't they just smoke pot like they used to?!
"The older i get, the less i care about what people think of me. therefore the older i get, the more i enjoy life."

"Life is so constructed, that the event does not, cannot, will not, match the expectation."
Link
Title: formerly gd

Post by Link »

It can be appropriate depending on culture. It is customary here to give a kiss on a cheek to a woman when you greet her and when you are saying goodbye. It is more common with people you know, but it also happens with strangers you have just met but will continue to interact with in the future. Some women even go in for the hug, which I usually never expect. It is not as common in a professional setting if one of you is the subordinate.

However, I can see why it is frowned upon in the continental USA. Americans tend to be cold and distant, even with people close to them. A sharp contrast to the friendlier customs we have here.
Never take advice from people who have nothing to lose by giving it...
-macnuke
Betonhaus

Post by Betonhaus »

gd wrote: It can be appropriate depending on culture. It is customary here to give a kiss on a cheek to a woman when you greet her and when you are saying goodbye. It is more common with people you know, but it also happens with strangers you have just met but will continue to interact with in the future. Some women even go in for the hug, which I usually never expect. It is not as common in a professional setting if one of you is the subordinate.

However, I can see why it is frowned upon in the continental USA. Americans tend to be cold and distant, even with people close to them. A sharp contrast to the friendlier customs we have here.

Yeah depends on the region. My Finnish friend would literally stab anyone that even touches him.
Séamas
Title: Honorary Consul General

Post by Séamas »

Ethnicity too.
In the area surrounding places like NYC, one encounters certain groups where hugging first time acquaintances is not uncommon.
And Proteus brought the upright beast into the garden and chained him to a tree and the children did make sport of him.
dv

Post by dv »

Betonhaus wrote:
gd wrote: It can be appropriate depending on culture. It is customary here to give a kiss on a cheek to a woman when you greet her and when you are saying goodbye. It is more common with people you know, but it also happens with strangers you have just met but will continue to interact with in the future. Some women even go in for the hug, which I usually never expect. It is not as common in a professional setting if one of you is the subordinate.

Yeah depends on the region. My Finnish friend would literally stab anyone that even touches him.

That's a good policy. I'd expect no less from Finland.
user
Title: Stupid cockwomble

Post by user »

reindeer tend to get real hoofy
Aw, he's no fun, he fell right over.

Science is Truth for Life. In FORTRAN tongue the Answer.

...so I'm supposed to find the Shadow King from inside a daiquiri?
DukeofNuke
Title: FREE RADICAL

Post by DukeofNuke »

strangers have cooties
intellectual/hipster/nihilist

"Everyone is entitled to their own opinions, but not their own facts."
-Senator Daniel Patrick Moynihan