Is hugging strangers appropriate?

Online now: Google [Bot]
justine Elitist Beer Lover
A tv tech is facing a felony charge for hugging a 70 year old woman whose house he was working at. She described it as a tight hug and she was pinned and felt threatened. He described it as a 3 second hug he gives everyone.

I personally don't believe it merits a felony charge, but more of an employer reprimand and possibly some kind of charge for inappropriate touching. However, him hugging her is so wrong on so many levels and i don't know how anyone can possibly try and justify what he did You don't hug strangers. Period. I don't even hug people i know without asking first, aside from family. What if she was a survivor of a violent crime? Not to mention, this woman is 70 ears old!

So what is your take on this?

Linkypoo
dv
Hugging strangers is a no-no.
TOS
yeah, no

you'd have to a freaking moron not to realize it's not okay these days (if it ever was)
Yeap. Wrong, but felony wrong? You just don’t break other people’s bubbles, especially in what should be a professional encounter.
Only in a gay bathhouse.
macnuke Afar
hugs are actually considered an unwanted advance and can be considered sexual harassment.
a letter to his employer would have him out of a job pronto.
you wanna hug? buy a teddy bear.

as Warin stated.. especially in what should be a professional encounter.
jkahless Custom Title
Inappropriate without sufficient social cues, but hardly a crime or even a firing offense without aggravating factors. Different upbringings and cultures lead to very different standards for casual nonsexual physical contact.
macnuke Afar
speaking of 70 year old women.. they get raped too.
sad but true.

and call corporate sometime. ask if it's OK to hug everyone cause you like to hug and see how well that works out.
Metacell Chocolate Brahma
Hugging works like this: you open your arms out forward. If another person wants to be hugged by you, then they initiate the physical contact. Little kids and close friends can be less formal, but not adult strangers.

In some countries, people do NOT touch each other publicly as a general rule.
Metacell posted:
Hugging works like this: you open your arms out forward. If another person wants to be hugged by you, then they initiate the physical contact. Little kids and close friends can be less formal, but not adult strangers.

In some countries, people do NOT touch each other publicly as a general rule.

Jerry showed us the way. You grasp their outstretched hands to prevent them coming in for full torso contact.

C. Ives Lacks Critical stick fiddling Thinking
One of our teachers at work is a hugger. But she's hot, so I don't mind.
user Stupid cockwomble
Never cared much for hugging.
Metacell Chocolate Brahma
We all know this epidemic was caused by the "hugs not drugs" movement. Please people, we didn't really mean it. Now go back to your drugs.
justine Elitist Beer Lover
Metacell posted:
We all know this epidemic was caused by the "hugs not drugs" movement. Please people, we didn't really mean it. Now go back to your drugs.

Haha! That's what they're saying about all the stupid challenges, like eating Tide Pods. Why can't they just smoke pot like they used to?!
gd Hero of Twilight
It can be appropriate depending on culture. It is customary here to give a kiss on a cheek to a woman when you greet her and when you are saying goodbye. It is more common with people you know, but it also happens with strangers you have just met but will continue to interact with in the future. Some women even go in for the hug, which I usually never expect. It is not as common in a professional setting if one of you is the subordinate.

However, I can see why it is frowned upon in the continental USA. Americans tend to be cold and distant, even with people close to them. A sharp contrast to the friendlier customs we have here.
gd posted:
It can be appropriate depending on culture. It is customary here to give a kiss on a cheek to a woman when you greet her and when you are saying goodbye. It is more common with people you know, but it also happens with strangers you have just met but will continue to interact with in the future. Some women even go in for the hug, which I usually never expect. It is not as common in a professional setting if one of you is the subordinate.

However, I can see why it is frowned upon in the continental USA. Americans tend to be cold and distant, even with people close to them. A sharp contrast to the friendlier customs we have here.

Yeah depends on the region. My Finnish friend would literally stab anyone that even touches him.
Séamas Honorary Consul General
Ethnicity too.
In the area surrounding places like NYC, one encounters certain groups where hugging first time acquaintances is not uncommon.
dv
Betonhaus posted:
gd posted:

Yeah depends on the region. My Finnish friend would literally stab anyone that even touches him.

That's a good policy. I'd expect no less from Finland.
user Stupid cockwomble
reindeer tend to get real hoofy
DukeofNuke FREE RADICAL
strangers have cooties
Subsequent topic  /  Preceding topic

Is hugging strangers appropriate?