HELLO!? HEELOOO!!?!? CAN YOU HEAR ME!?!?! HELLO!?

How's life?
ukimalefu
Title: want, but shouldn't, may anyway

HELLO!? HEELOOO!!?!? CAN YOU HEAR ME!?!?! HELLO!?

Post by ukimalefu »

No, they cannot hear you, hang the fiddlesticks up and call again, or wait for them to call you back.

My family does that, my neighbors do that, random people everywhere do that.

I don't do that. Sometimes, if I'm in a good mood, I say "I can't hear you, call again". Sometimes I just hang up.

Oh, and taking a couple steps and assuming a funny pose won't improve your phone's reception.

that was my rant
iDaemon
Title: infinitely loopy

Post by iDaemon »

I’m surprised - and kinda gratified - you still can post here. Internet is up.

Hang in there. Stay safe as you can.
"You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it." - Robin Williams

https://kottke.org/18/02/a-list-of-25-p ... rry-barlow
ukimalefu

Post by ukimalefu »

uhm... thanks, really

but this is about people and phone calls
Betonhaus

Post by Betonhaus »

That's more of a poor phone infrastructure if half a phone call keeps getting dropped
TOS

Post by TOS »

phone calls ... you mean voice calls? i didn't realize people still did that
"TOS ain’t havin no horserace round here. “Policies” is the coin of the realm." -- iDaemon
ukimalefu

Post by ukimalefu »

Betonhaus wrote: That's more of a poor phone infrastructure if half a phone call keeps getting dropped

landlines are a state monopoly and are indeed human waste

but it also happens with cell phones, out of 3 companies, 2 are private. We do have 3g and 4g

yes, people do still talk on the phone, unless you are... under a certain age... and/or have a smartphone...

get off my lawn, rich kids

your voice calls are loud and clear every time all of the time? whoa :awe:
dv

Post by dv »

I have this conversation with my housemate at least once a week. Stupid cell phones.
Ribtor

Post by Ribtor »

Speaking clearly into a phone, and knowing what to say when someone answers a call, are a lost skill like putting a cassette into a Walkman or taking film out of a camera.
Pyke notte thy nostrellys
dv

Post by dv »

Ribtor wrote: Speaking clearly into a phone, and knowing what to say when someone answers a call, are a lost skill like putting a cassette into a Walkman or taking film out of a camera.

That particular protocol relies on effective two-way communication.
DukeofNuke
Title: FREE RADICAL

Post by DukeofNuke »

I'm no expert on cell phone technology and I could be wrong, but it seems to me that they work like voice-activated walkie-talkies transmitting and receiving. Like, it's one channel and you have to wait for the other person to stop talking before you can reply.
So, maybe instead of saying "Can you hear me?", we should say, "Do you copy?" and "Roger that."
intellectual/hipster/nihilist

"Everyone is entitled to their own opinions, but not their own facts."
-Senator Daniel Patrick Moynihan
dv

Post by dv »

DukeofNuke wrote: I'm no expert on cell phone technology and I could be wrong, but it seems to me that they work like voice-activated walkie-talkies transmitting and receiving. Like, it's one channel and you have to wait for the other person to stop talking before you can reply.
So, maybe instead of saying "Can you hear me?", we should say, "Do you copy?" and "Roger that."

They do not work that way.
justine
Title: Elitist Beer Lover

Post by justine »

I'll say it, but it's not usually a bad connection. It's multitasking and not paying attention and knowing the person you just called has answered.
"The older i get, the less i care about what people think of me. therefore the older i get, the more i enjoy life."

"Life is so constructed, that the event does not, cannot, will not, match the expectation."
Ribtor

Post by Ribtor »

justine wrote: I'll say it, but it's not usually a bad connection. It's multitasking and not paying attention and knowing the person you just called has answered.

That's it.
DukeofNuke
Title: FREE RADICAL

Post by DukeofNuke »

dv wrote:
DukeofNuke wrote: I'm no expert on cell phone technology and I could be wrong, but it seems to me that they work like voice-activated walkie-talkies transmitting and receiving. Like, it's one channel and you have to wait for the other person to stop talking before you can reply.

Thank you. I accept your correction, and continue to wonder why the phone seems to cut out the caller when I try to answer but they continue talking.
intellectual/hipster/nihilist

"Everyone is entitled to their own opinions, but not their own facts."
-Senator Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Ribtor

Post by Ribtor »

I think delays in the networks plus the digitising of the voice signal makes for a crap-tastic voice experience.
dv

Post by dv »

DukeofNuke wrote:
dv wrote:

Thank you. I accept your correction, and continue to wonder why the phone seems to cut out the caller when I try to answer but they continue talking.

I've been in a few arguments over the phone, and when we post-game, we always heard everything the other person said, even when we were trying to talk over them.
user
Title: Stupid cockwomble

Post by user »

Ribtor wrote: Speaking clearly into a phone, and knowing what to say when someone answers a call, are a lost skill like putting a cassette into a Walkman or taking film out of a camera.

I usually yell, "HOY HOY !" into the phone.
Aw, he's no fun, he fell right over.

Science is Truth for Life. In FORTRAN tongue the Answer.

...so I'm supposed to find the Shadow King from inside a daiquiri?