HELLO!? HEELOOO!!?!? CAN YOU HEAR ME!?!?! HELLO!?

Online now: DukeofNuke, Google [Bot], ukimalefu
ukimalefu Rebel? resistance? why not both?
No, they cannot hear you, hang the fiddlesticks up and call again, or wait for them to call you back.

My family does that, my neighbors do that, random people everywhere do that.

I don't do that. Sometimes, if I'm in a good mood, I say "I can't hear you, call again". Sometimes I just hang up.

Oh, and taking a couple steps and assuming a funny pose won't improve your phone's reception.

that was my rant
iDaemon infinitely loopy
I’m surprised - and kinda gratified - you still can post here. Internet is up.

Hang in there. Stay safe as you can.
uhm... thanks, really

but this is about people and phone calls
That's more of a poor phone infrastructure if half a phone call keeps getting dropped
TOS
phone calls ... you mean voice calls? i didn't realize people still did that
Betonhaus posted:
That's more of a poor phone infrastructure if half a phone call keeps getting dropped

landlines are a state monopoly and are indeed human waste

but it also happens with cell phones, out of 3 companies, 2 are private. We do have 3g and 4g

yes, people do still talk on the phone, unless you are... under a certain age... and/or have a smartphone...

get off my lawn, rich kids

your voice calls are loud and clear every time all of the time? whoa :awe:
dv
I have this conversation with my housemate at least once a week. Stupid cell phones.
Speaking clearly into a phone, and knowing what to say when someone answers a call, are a lost skill like putting a cassette into a Walkman or taking film out of a camera.
dv
Ribtor posted:
Speaking clearly into a phone, and knowing what to say when someone answers a call, are a lost skill like putting a cassette into a Walkman or taking film out of a camera.

That particular protocol relies on effective two-way communication.
DukeofNuke FREE RADICAL
I'm no expert on cell phone technology and I could be wrong, but it seems to me that they work like voice-activated walkie-talkies transmitting and receiving. Like, it's one channel and you have to wait for the other person to stop talking before you can reply.
So, maybe instead of saying "Can you hear me?", we should say, "Do you copy?" and "Roger that."
dv
DukeofNuke posted:
I'm no expert on cell phone technology and I could be wrong, but it seems to me that they work like voice-activated walkie-talkies transmitting and receiving. Like, it's one channel and you have to wait for the other person to stop talking before you can reply.
So, maybe instead of saying "Can you hear me?", we should say, "Do you copy?" and "Roger that."

They do not work that way.
justine Elitist Beer Lover
I'll say it, but it's not usually a bad connection. It's multitasking and not paying attention and knowing the person you just called has answered.
justine posted:
I'll say it, but it's not usually a bad connection. It's multitasking and not paying attention and knowing the person you just called has answered.

That's it.
DukeofNuke FREE RADICAL
dv posted:
DukeofNuke posted:

Thank you. I accept your correction, and continue to wonder why the phone seems to cut out the caller when I try to answer but they continue talking.
I think delays in the networks plus the digitising of the voice signal makes for a crap-tastic voice experience.
dv
DukeofNuke posted:
dv posted:
DukeofNuke posted:

Thank you. I accept your correction, and continue to wonder why the phone seems to cut out the caller when I try to answer but they continue talking.

I've been in a few arguments over the phone, and when we post-game, we always heard everything the other person said, even when we were trying to talk over them.
user Stupid cockwomble
Ribtor posted:

I usually yell, "HOY HOY !" into the phone.
Subsequent topic  /  Preceding topic

HELLO!? HEELOOO!!?!? CAN YOU HEAR ME!?!?! HELLO!?