mustapha's neat-o sci-fi art thread

Page: 1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
Online now: Google [Bot]
jkahless Custom Title
TOS posted:
maybe through a series of mergers they now manufacture meal-replacement happy pills

We'll still need lubricants in the future and polymers, but we can be a lot smarter about how we use them. Maybe they do landfill mining? :p
ukimalefu want, but shouldn't, may anyway

Ron Cobb’s spectacular early concept art for bridge of the Nostromo for Alien (1979)
TOS
ukimalefu posted:

Ron Cobb’s spectacular early concept art for bridge of the Nostromo for Alien (1979)

i remember my big brother had a book of concept art for alien, i was obsessed with it

Don Maitz, 1988

that's creepy

Robert Theodore McCall, The Black Hole, preliminary illustration (1976).
TOS
ukimalefu posted:

Robert Theodore McCall, The Black Hole, preliminary illustration (1976).

interesting

that movie had quite a tortured development
Metacell Chocolate Brahma
I still want a sequel: "Beyond The Black Hole"
TOS
TOS
The Living Seas of Venus sounds good.
obvs Social Distancing Grandmaster
The aliens sure do like that one pose.
DukeofNuke FREE RADICAL
a dame with a gun is a dame with a gun is a dame with a gun!

Ichiro Tsuruta, from JCA Annual 8 (1989)
TOS
ah, those heinlein covers, i tell ya
TOS posted:
ah, those heinlein covers, i tell ya

The Artist, Boris Vallejo, is one gifted man.

this is a sci-fi thread

Battlestar Galactica promotional poster by Frank Frazetta (1978)

Michael Böhme
TOS
biddy biddy biddy i'm at crotch level, buck
Hmm... Deanna Troi as the Empress in the mirror universe..
Interesting idea.

Terra Magnum Imperium, indeed.

How come nobody in the alternate universe (or past life) is like, "Oh hey, I'm a stock clerk in a grocery store."
They don't have grocery stores.
Metacell posted:
How come nobody in the alternate universe (or past life) is like, "Oh hey, I'm a stock clerk in a grocery store."

You bring up an excellent point. What is life like for people of the Empire,
who are not members of the military? Things to ponder.....
DukeofNuke FREE RADICAL
I've often wondered what everyday life waslike on earth in the Star Trek universe. There were an episode in DS9 where Cisco and Jake go to earth to visit family, and I think one in STTNG where Picard goes home for a visit, but you never really see how the technology trickles down to civilians. Like, are there public transporters? Can you beam to Paris for lunch? Take a passenger ship to vacation on Risa?
TOS
DukeofNuke posted:
I've often wondered what everyday life waslike on earth in the Star Trek universe. There were an episode in DS9 where Cisco and Jake go to earth to visit family, and I think one in STTNG where Picard goes home for a visit, but you never really see how the technology trickles down to civilians. Like, are there public transporters? Can you beam to Paris for lunch? Take a passenger ship to vacation on Risa?

in ds9 they repeatedly refer to earth as being a utopian paradise that's very dull

i mean imagine what life would be like if every material and physical need was available in unlimited quantities, and totally free

one gets the sense that while some folks are getting out and making stuff and others are seeking adventure in shipping and starfleet, there must be a huge percentage of people just hanging out
juice Inadvertently correct
TOS posted:
DukeofNuke posted:

in ds9 they repeatedly refer to earth as being a utopian paradise that's very dull

i mean imagine what life would be like if every material and physical need was available in unlimited quantities, and totally free

one gets the sense that while some folks are getting out and making stuff and others are seeking adventure in shipping and starfleet, there must be a huge percentage of people just hanging out

Getting high
juice posted:
TOS posted:
DukeofNuke posted:

Getting high
Whenever I think of Star Trek, I think of the holodecks, and how pretty much every single person in that universe would have lived out almost all of their fantasies.

And not only that, but in terms of medical technology. Your body could be exactly what you wanted. Hair loss? Shorter than you want? Have some body part you want bigger? Have some body part you don't want? Lacking something? Want a different color of hair? Want unnatural colors of hair? All of those things would be minor inconveniences that could be resolved within the same day.

What would it be like interacting with a universe where most people you were interacting with had lived with those circumstances?
Spoiled brats most likely
Why would there be such thing as a brat if there was no such thing as scarcity?
Subsequent topic  /  Preceding topic

mustapha's neat-o sci-fi art thread

Page: 1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8