Better Language Models and Their Implications

How's life?
maurvir
Title: Steamed meat popsicle

Better Language Models and Their Implications

Post by maurvir »

https://blog.openai.com/better-language-models/

System Prompt (human-written)

A train carriage containing controlled nuclear materials was stolen in Cincinnati today. Its whereabouts are unknown.

Model Completion (machine-written, first try)

The incident occurred on the downtown train line, which runs from Covington and Ashland stations.

In an email to Ohio news outlets, the U.S. Department of Energy said it is working with the Federal Railroad Administration to find the thief.

“The theft of this nuclear material will have significant negative consequences on public and environmental health, our workforce and the economy of our nation,” said Tom Hicks, the U.S. Energy Secretary, in a statement. “Our top priority is to secure the theft and ensure it doesn’t happen again.”

The stolen material was taken from the University of Cincinnati’s Research Triangle Park nuclear research site, according to a news release from Department officials.

The Nuclear Regulatory Commission did not immediately release any information.

According to the release, the U.S. Department of Energy’s Office of Nuclear Material Safety and Security is leading that team’s investigation.

“The safety of people, the environment and the nation’s nuclear stockpile is our highest priority,” Hicks said. “We will get to the bottom of this and make no excuses.

https://arstechnica.com/information-tec ... r-text-ai/
Metacell
Title: Chocolate Brahma

Post by Metacell »

So much for students writing essays in the future.
Remember, people, to forgive is divine. In other words, it ain't human.
ukimalefu
Title: want, but shouldn't, may anyway

Post by ukimalefu »

Metacell wrote: So much for students writing essays in the future.

I sometimes wonder how students do assignments these days when they can copy/paste everything.
DukeofNuke
Title: FREE RADICAL

Post by DukeofNuke »

Watching Jr. go to school, (my Alma Mater, Morehead State), all his classes are online and they are all, like, powerpoint presentations and multiple-choice answer tests.
When I went, I had to live on campus and I didn't even have a typewriter. (... and we had to walk uphill in the snow ... ).
and I think, "Damn, I coulda got a Master in two years if all my clases were like that."
intellectual/hipster/nihilist

"Everyone is entitled to their own opinions, but not their own facts."
-Senator Daniel Patrick Moynihan
dv

Post by dv »

DukeofNuke wrote: Watching Jr. go to school, (my Alma Mater, Morehead State), all his classes are online and they are all, like, powerpoint presentations and multiple-choice answer tests.
When I went, I had to live on campus and I didn't even have a typewriter. (... and we had to walk uphill in the snow ... ).
and I think, "Damn, I coulda got a Master in two years if all my clases were like that."

Two years is normal for a master's program.

:paranoid:
DukeofNuke

Post by DukeofNuke »

Really? I thought it took 4?
I couldn't afford it anyway ...

juice
Title: Inadvertently correct

Post by juice »

A master program is usually 36 credit hours. If memory serves, a full time graduate course load is nine hours per semester, which is usually three courses.
DukeofNuke

Post by DukeofNuke »

So, is that like, after you get a Bachelors ?
I'm talking total years after High School.

juice
Title: Inadvertently correct

Post by juice »

After the typical four year degree.
DukeofNuke

Post by DukeofNuke »

Yeah, ok.
... bit o' confusion, eh? ...

dv

Post by dv »

DukeofNuke wrote: Yeah, ok.

Ah, I get it. Sorry.

To your original point, somehow it still takes the average student 4-5 years to slog through a bachelor's degree, if they manage to finish at all.
Robert B.
Title: Dandy Highwayman

Post by Robert B. »

It took me almost 10 years to complete my bachelors while working part time, working full time, changing majors, dropping/stopping to take care of and support family.

It took me 18 months to complete my masters, while working 50-60 hours a week. My brain was effectively fried at the end of that experience.

I’m currently on my second masters. Maybe I’ll slide this into a Phd. The next year will tell me.
"Hey, I gotta be me. Don't like it, don't read it." - Schnicky
DukeofNuke

Post by DukeofNuke »

dv wrote:

Ah, I get it. Sorry.

To your original point, somehow it still takes the average student 4-5 years to slog through a bachelor's degree, if they manage to finish at all.

And I exaggerated to emphasize that taking classes online is so much easier than actually GOING to school. (Although I would not trade my years of on-campus college life for a dozen on-line degrees. I was not a Greek or a Jock; but I made a niche for myself among the pre-grunge stoners. [voice of Col. Kurtz] The women ... the women ... [/Kurtz]

dv

Post by dv »

DukeofNuke wrote:
dv wrote:

Ah, I get it. Sorry.

And I exaggerated to emphasize that taking classes online is so much easier than actually GOING to school. (Although I would not trade my years of on-campus college life for a dozen on-line degrees. I was not a Greek or a Jock; but I made a niche for myself among the pre-grunge stoners. [voice of Col. Kurtz] The women ... the women ... [/Kurtz]

I'm not sure online classes really are easier. The dropout/cancellation rates are higher, and grades aren't any better. IME the regular in-person, looking-them-in-the-eye contact time keeps you better engaged and no chat room or forum thread is really a substitute for face-to-face conversations.
DukeofNuke

Post by DukeofNuke »

dv wrote:
DukeofNuke wrote:
dv wrote:

Ah, I get it. Sorry.

I'm not sure online classes really are easier. The dropout/cancellation rates are higher, and grades aren't any better. IME the regular in-person, looking-them-in-the-eye contact time keeps you better engaged and no chat room or forum thread is really a substitute for face-to-face conversations.

I agree completely. with the part about going to a real live class being better than watching a power point presentation on line. When I need CEUs, I always prefer to actually go to a seminar.
But, the logistics are easier. Study on your schedule. Work from home. That's the whole online university sales pitch.

user
Title: Stupid cockwomble

Post by user »

very much depends on how good the instructor is at running an online class
Aw, he's no fun, he fell right over.

Science is Truth for Life. In FORTRAN tongue the Answer.

...so I'm supposed to find the Shadow King from inside a daiquiri?
Old Yoda
Title: agitator

Post by Old Yoda »

One can train or be trained on line but you cannot educate.
Unlimited Growth is the Ideology of a Cancer Cell
Pariah
Title: Know Your Enemy

Post by Pariah »

DukeofNuke wrote:
dv wrote:
DukeofNuke wrote:
dv wrote:

Ah, I get it. Sorry.

I agree completely. with the part about going to a real live class being better than watching a power point presentation on line. When I need CEUs, I always prefer to actually go to a seminar.
But, the logistics are easier. Study on your schedule. Work from home. That's the whole online university sales pitch.

And avoid group projects! That would be the top, A #1 bonus for me.
I hate working closely with others.
Not even duct tape will fix stupid, but it can muffle the sound.
Warin

Post by Warin »

In spite of being entirely annoying, group projects are actually a great idea. They encourage networking and cooperation among students, an exercise relevant to almost any job you might end up in. It sucks when you end up doing a fair chunk of the assignment while other don’t carry their weight, but that too mirrors real life work as well.
I'm sorry Dave...